Safe Standing?

Safe Standing?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Would you welcome a stand with safe standing in the new stadium?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dont Care

With talks between the trust and FSA regarding introducing standing at the new stadium, the question is 'would you welcome it?'. OK, we were in the Premiership but we'll never get back there given how much money you need to get there nowadays. I think demand for standing is there and people tend to chose standing when given the option. Gone are the days of old terracing and the poor policing of games - standing is now as safe as seating and allows a much better match day experience.

Manchester City will be 2 miles down the road from us and with 8 North West teams in the Premiership, we need a lure for fans to come and watch us. I'm not saying a standing area would automatically draw fan's in but it's one thing City couldn't offer the football fan. Every time we talk about getting standing people seem not to want to push the reasons why and put pressure on the FA/Football League to relax the dated law regarding standing. Even Simon Corney would welcome a standing area, it's upto us to say now that we want it.

I would want to introduce 'Safe Standing' which has proved very popular in Germany and could easily work over here. Now, I dont know how much the cost would be to erect a stand of this nature but It wouldn't hurt to find out. Also with us being the first club to try this, the company who makes them could keep it cheap for us to try and get a British market.

We want the new stadium to be unique and help create an atmosphere - A standing section in my opinion would get us on the right track.

This I'm afraid is a battle the trust have very little if any chance of winning.

If they pulled it out of the fire against all odds then having a home end only of standing would be a no brainer really. The demand would be there plus when the chaddy was standing the capacity was 6000 when it went all seater it was reduced to 3600 in the same shell essetially so that will increase the capacity.

I fully expect the failsworth horseshoe to be all seater though not out of choice but by law.

l always stand at away games (as its cheaper). In the championship you can't have standing. They give you a time period in which to change it. They need to change it the rules. Maybe they should have a limit on the ammount of people you have in 1 stand. Don't see why it would not work as other league 1 clubs have it.

Most clubs obtain funding from the Football Foundation towards the cost of providing a new stadium, but the F.F. will only entertain funding if a proposed stadium is to be all-seated.

Morecambe Football Club, which is run by its fans, took the view that an all-seated stadium is inappropriate and therefore it decided to explore other avenues in order to deliver what its fans want. As a result it is to become the first league club in England or Wales to incorporate safe standing areas into its new stadium. The new 7,000 Globe Arena will include 5,000 safe standing places with plenty of room to develop should the club be promoted from League Two.

safe%20standing.jpg

Not only is this a refreshing attitude but it is also a practical one, as the club will save money on construction costs.

This I'm afraid is a battle the trust have very little if any chance of winning.

If they pulled it out of the fire against all odds then having a home end only of standing would be a no brainer really. The demand would be there plus when the chaddy was standing the capacity was 6000 when it went all seater it was reduced to 3600 in the same shell essetially so that will increase the capacity.

I fully expect the failsworth horseshoe to be all seater though not out of choice but by law.

If funding is an issue with you guys then you have to conform for the grants etc.We've had all the arguaments but to get the odd U21/U18 game or like you have to conform to the FL and their requirements.

safe%20standing.jpg

Not only is this a refreshing attitude but it is also a practical one, as the club will save money on construction costs.

I agree it's a refreshing attitude, but there's an awful lot of metal in that arrangement, and metal is expensive at the moment. And still a seat for every punter. As I said above, no increase in capacity, increased building costs. Won't happen for those reasons alone, although I'd be delighted it if did.

I agree it's a refreshing attitude, but there's an awful lot of metal in that arrangement, and metal is expensive at the moment. And still a seat for every punter. As I said above, no increase in capacity, increased building costs. Won't happen for those reasons alone, although I'd be delighted it if did.

The increased capacity comes from shallower steps on the terrace and no need for leg room in the sitting position - the seats are for those who want to sit before the match or at half-time, and therefore provision of them would be optional.

The increased capacity comes from shallower steps on the terrace and no need for leg room in the sitting position - the seats are for those who want to sit before the match or at half-time, and therefore provision of them would be optional.

The RRE doesn't have any leg room anyway. I doubt it would be much different.

I've read that in stadium design there is a “rule of thumb” that one seat occupies the same space as

two standing places.

Maybe, but the ones in the picture clearly don't, unless they're for Willy Wonka's little orange folk. Comfort is a major factor for me (being 6'3"). It's even worse when it's busy, like at the last £5 game where the guy in front was giving evil looks because my knees go behind his seat, where he wanted to put his arm... :ranting:

Anyway, I'd love to see it. Would improve the atmosphere, improve the singing and help us keep warm too. But all that metalwork would need to be designed to resist a charge, and will therefore cost a fortune compared to the flimsy stuff which sometimes holds a seat together.

If by a "charge" you mean a crowd surge, that's the whole point, there wouldn't be any surges because thre would be no concentration of people/pressure between the rows of barriers.

It needs to withstand the force of half a dozen or so people pushing on it, because if it failed, those in the row in front could be seriously injured. The point I'm trying to make is that the barriers need to be substantial, much more so than the seat mountings conventionally used. And this will cost a lot of money.

It needs to withstand the force of half a dozen or so people pushing on it, because if it failed, those in the row in front could be seriously injured. The point I'm trying to make is that the barriers need to be substantial, much more so than the seat mountings conventionally used. And this will cost a lot of money.

Not according to Morecambe FC.