The St. Valentine's Day Massacre

pinch me now to believe what status our club is today. :blink:

Happy days then and glad I was there to witness our "15 mins of fame" but lets face it, a club with over a 100 years history and we can only manage a few glory seasons.

Its going to be a rough long journey to get us back and a promise of a new home and the team started to play well is a start.

Its time to leave the past behind us the present and future is priority.

Thanks Diego for the effort, it was a nice few flashbacks I have today reaing the article

In all honesty Underdog, I feel Latics should have an aim to reach and stabilize in the Championship (albeit not under Penney). I also feel we should then concentrate on cup runs to (A) bring funds in to the club and (B) hopefully reach a final and possibly win a trophy or even get into Europe via the back door. It amazes me that other clubs don't think along these lines as it generates revenue, brings a feelgood factor to the club and town/city and can also be a stepping stone for improving to bigger & better things.

I genuinely believe TTA had this type of ambition for the club when they took over, sadly we have failed to realise this on the field which is why we are where are today!

In all honesty Underdog, I feel Latics should have an aim to reach and stabilize in the Championship (albeit not under Penney). I also feel we should then concentrate on cup runs to (A) bring funds in to the club and (B) hopefully reach a final and possibly win a trophy or even get into Europe via the back door. It amazes me that other clubs don't think along these lines as it generates revenue, brings a feelgood factor to the club and town/city and can also be a stepping stone for improving to bigger & better things.

I genuinely believe TTA had this type of ambition for the club when they took over, sadly we have failed to realise this on the field which is why we are where are today!

So you would settle for us stablising at 30 places up the pyramid in return for winning the FA Cup? Bit of a lack of ambition IMO

So you would settle for us stablising at 30 places up the pyramid in return for winning the FA Cup? Bit of a lack of ambition IMO

Hell yes! A club that was stable in the Championship, playing in front of bigger league crowds and enjoying cup runs in the League & FA Cup. Winning either would also open up an invite to the Europa League, which would bring more revenue into the club.

As for wanting to see Latics back in the Greed Is Good League we were out of our depth back in 1993/4, we are still suffering now and I'd hate to see us go through that again.

Its time to leave the past behind us the present and future is priority.

I know what you mean, leave the past behind but never forget it. If you keep an eye on the past you're blind in one eye, but if you forget the past, you're blind in both eyes.

On this Valentine's Day, if you know your history, it's enough to make your heart go woah-oh-oh-oh. :chubb:

Portsmouth had that type of ambition and realised it, but didn't have the shrewd ownership of TTA.

That was near the start of my Latics supporting life. I enjoyed it all of course, but didn't really appreciate how special that time was and expected the success to continue and continue...my Dad knew better and I think cherished it more at the time.

So glad I have the memories now to keep me going through the hard times

Stood on an upturned milk crate in the Chaddy watching us smash in goal after goal after goal = best birthday present ever.

Which tells us more than we needed to know about how inattentive various Mrs Zorros have been to their womanly duties on Valentine’s Day over the years.