Post Game Thread: Leeds United

How long? Longer than half a season.

Miracles and Instant success? How long have we been waiting - a long time. How many managers in that period though? Too many. I remember when Royle was here 1st time we used to laugh at Man City and their revolving door manager merry-go-round....we are just as bad, if not worse.

Give time to the guy who is showing promise and earning it as he goes along. Don't give time to the guy who has achieved nothing other than bordering on the distinction of overseeing our lowest EVER scoring season and average attendance. Find someone else more promising to give time to. Jesus.

Appoint somebody decent who knows the game inside out? Any really good manager is not going to manage a third division side. At this level you have 2 maybe 3 options.

1) Completely untried e.g. Dowie / Ritchie / Sheriden/ Sharpe. Ritchie and Sheriden were not given long enough, before fans or owners lost patiance.

2) Experienced e.g. Talbot, Moore, Warncock, Wadswotrth (of sorts), Penny. These have had success on their CV in the past, but also failures as well. All came and went and addedd to the latter column of their CVs.

3) Is someone that has a limited experience but not really failed. Dave Penny is in that category for me. I think Sheriden is there as well now at Chesterfield. However we seem all to keen to boot them out early and make sure they can sit comfortably in No. 2).

We are not going to get a wonderful long term successful manager. There is no manager you can bring in that will guarantee success, epsecially with our resources (players / money). Even Chelsea found that with Scolari.

Fair comments. Maybe the best manager for somebody in our position would be somebody to bridge the widening gulf between the club and it's fanbase? It's bad enough having a host of players nobody can relate to. We don't need a stranger manager too.

Dave Penny has us trying to play better football than I saw from Warnsock, Moore, Talbot (4-5-1 at home FFS!). I think he has a less talented squad than Shez and Dowie had for most of their tenures (and look back at the home form under Dowie - wasn't that good. Lots of 1-0 away wins ground out, not exactly the Brazil of League One).

He has certainly got a less talented squad than Shez. That's his :censored: fault and is somewhat compounded by his failure to get as much out the players that he inherited from Shez!!! He's had more money to spend than Shez did last season (souce: Simon Corney) at a time when player's wages are supposedly reducing following the financial crisis, and he's still had to be somewhat saved by a Shez 'signing for the future' :ranting::ranting:

As for him trying to play better football than others; crowds, remaining crowd opinion and the goals scored column would strongly suggest that DP is, somehow, failing. Not that I believe he is trying to do so.

However as I said previously - the fickle fans of Oldham have made a decision and the Boo Boys will ensure that DP joins the ever growing list of ex-Latic Managers. I'd bet that like Shez appears to be doing, he'll go on and achieve success elsewhere.

In my book, given results in relation to his budget, Shez was successful here and eventually became a victim of his own success. I enjoyed his tenure and wouldn't have given up my long standing Season Ticket had he remained even though, at the time they were being bought, I imagined I would have to miss many games. He was one us, he loved the club and he had my support.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic