Post Game Thread: Leeds United

Not rose coloured at all. Note that I found difficulty in the post regarding criticism aimed at Brill and the defence, when it's plain to see (even through my rose coloured glasses!), that our problem is creating and goalscoring (now even Stevie Wonders glasses could see that!)

As for DP - Rose coloured - far from it.......Realistic and patient - Definately! I would imagine that you had little to say after Walsall at home, Brighton and Charlton away........Whilst realising we are not in a great position, patience is a virtue - not a merry go round of managers every 6 months!!

patience is a virtue but i,m affraid the majority of long standing tics fans are losing it an alarming rate as the attendancies prove the point even stockport , tranmere get more people through the turnstiles than us so something has to give and i,m affraid that in many peoples opinion the manager is the problem and to rectify that problem he has to go never to darken our doorstep again.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its gonna be difficult for teams to score when you put 11 men behind the ball!! Sure we arent conceding many and we have only conceded 3 or more twice this season but using players defensively limits their ability to get forward and create opportunites and goals! I dont buy that we just need a goal poacher to start winning games because we dont create enough chances. Granted that has improved slightly but still the whole mentality of penneys tactics needs a change imo to score more goals and start entertaining more fans...

I think we have created more chances recently and it is no small coincidence that it is due to having our 2 main attacking threats (taylor and Pav) back in the side and nearing full fitness. DP obviously sets his side as a tight knit unit, working hard for each other and will rely upon quality, quick counter attacking play - probably with 2 flying wingers and a bloody good centre forward. 1 flying winger hasn't been fit all season and our bloody good centre forward has played the part of 2 strikers, whilst injured, for the 1st half of the season.

Taylor fit, Pav fit with hopefully Price alongside (who will take a lot of the "ugly stuff" away from Pav) and we will be fine.

We don't have the personnel to go at sides in a maverick away and would be fools to do so - hence our defensive record!!

I think we have created more chances recently and it is no small coincidence that it is due to having our 2 main attacking threats (taylor and Pav) back in the side and nearing full fitness. DP obviously sets his side as a tight knit unit, working hard for each other and will rely upon quality, quick counter attacking play - probably with 2 flying wingers and a bloody good centre forward. 1 flying winger hasn't been fit all season and our bloody good centre forward has played the part of 2 strikers, whilst injured, for the 1st half of the season.

Taylor fit, Pav fit with hopefully Price alongside (who will take a lot of the "ugly stuff" away from Pav) and we will be fine.

We don't have the personnel to go at sides in a maverick away and would be fools to do so - hence our defensive record!!

Ok for a mid table side maybe...BUT if that is all Penney has to offer then are we just accepting residing ourselves to league one football for the next few seasons?

Ok for a mid table side maybe...BUT if that is all Penney has to offer then are we just accepting residing ourselves to league one football for the next few seasons?

if thats all that mr bad penney has to offer it wont be league 1 for the next few seasons it will be league 2 and beyond

Considering the "alleged" problems with last seasons squad - wages, discipline,old boys club etc, then I believe we will see a product on the pitch that the finances will allow - ie: mid table side (and fingers crossed with a bit of discipline, tight purse strings, and lots of luck next season a push for play offs!)

Not great, but that seems where we are and anyone expecting a manager to clear up and re-shape his squad AND expect promotion/play offs this season was being vey optimistic and unrealistic from the outset.

if thats all that mr bad penney has to offer it wont be league 1 for the next few seasons it will be league 2 and beyond

I dunno its hard to predict the future. We don't know what has been said behind the scenes. If Penney has been told just to hold our league one status this year on a lower budget to conserve money then it is objective achieved, but all i hope is that next season he has something us his sleeve because fans are already voting with their feet. Its hard to justify the spend of tickets at the minute with the cost so high and convenience of more entertaining gaes on local tv but to be offering a poor product with little fight for success we will have zero fans. My fear is that it will be hard to recover from that even with a new ground and can TTA sustain the club with 3,000 fans

I dunno its hard to predict the future. We don't know what has been said behind the scenes. If Penney has been told just to hold our league one status this year on a lower budget to conserve money then it is objective achieved, but all i hope is that next season he has something us his sleeve because fans are already voting with their feet. Its hard to justify the spend of tickets at the minute with the cost so high and convenience of more entertaining gaes on local tv but to be offering a poor product with little fight for success we will have zero fans. My fear is that it will be hard to recover from that even with a new ground and can TTA sustain the club with 3,000 fans

I don't think you're far off the mark there.

Considering the "alleged" problems with last seasons squad - wages, discipline,old boys club etc, then I believe we will see a product on the pitch that the finances will allow - ie: mid table side (and fingers crossed with a bit of discipline, tight purse strings, and lots of luck next season a push for play offs!)

Not great, but that seems where we are and anyone expecting a manager to clear up and re-shape his squad AND expect promotion/play offs this season was being vey optimistic and unrealistic from the outset.

I wasn't expecting a promotion push this season but neither was i expecting the dire football we've had to witness and such negative tactics and where has it got us?

Granted we've been hit with injuries but the whole mindset seems to be lets not get beaten rather than lets try and win. We won't be attracting any of the lapsed fans back anytime soon whilst we continue with this philosophy.

Its not the result that bothered me tonight, its is baffling substitutions and lack of plan b from penney, lomax (why is he not starting??) for furman who had a average game, this allowed :censored: who was abysmal to go into midfield were he continued to be abysmal, then eaves brought on, good i thought 3 up front but know he takes abbot off our only goal scoring threat in 2010, we never once pushed our midfield forward, in the last 5 minutes colbeck put a dangerous cross in and :censored: was on the half way line and stephens 10 yards in front of him. I am losing faith with him by the minute and struggling to see where we will get enough goals from to keep us up.

but the objective has not been achieved yet and the way its going it wont be and i agree its easier to lose fans than to win them back so tta need to sort it out now , not sit back and see what happens at the end of the season when its too late, because asure as eggs is eggs the fans will get the :censored: thrown at them for not keeping the faith when the ineviatable happens :angry:

First half i thought we looked half decent, we played a lot of long balls up field and Price and Abbott was trying but coming to nothing. We defended very well as a team.

Smalley once again was awful, he really needs to be dropped, running no where and winning nothing in the air. Furman was non existant and the game passed him by. Stephens did try to get the ball down and play but he had people round him who wasnt trying to co-operate.

Gregan once again was man of the match, closely followed by Jacobson, both looked very solid once again.

Taylor didnt look interested, more interested in jumping on the floor looking for a free kick, didnt want to run with the ball and seems to be very low on confidence, this was summed up when he missed an easy chance towards the end of match.

Second half was all Leeds and im willing to say that Snodgrass is easily the best player in this league, tore us to pieces.

The first goal was poor defending by :censored: at right back, let Beckford get past him easy then Brill should of done better with the shot but parried it out to an unmarked Becchio.

Second goal was pure quality and couldnt find anyone to blame, just one of those things.

We didnt look good enough going forward, evertime we got in their half we got scared and either passed back or give it away. Think we may have had 3 shots and one on target, not too sure.

Penney's subtitutuion was a little weird, were losing 2-0 and he takes Abbott off for Eaves, in my opinion he should of took Taylor off, and stuck 3 up front.

Around 300 Latics fans i think maybe more? couldnt tell, tried to get behind the team early on but later in the game when Aboott came off people shouting for penney out and you dont know what you're doing chants.

I didn't go tonight 1st game I have missed since Brighton due to family reasons but the result and the way the performance sounds then I'm not suprised in the slightest infact, I pretty much knew how tonight was going to go. We did ok at Colchetser on sat but didnt score we were :censored: against Tranmere and Millwall and didnt score we have played well this season and not scored, its all coming down to the same thing and the manager has had all season to address this but still hasn't found the answer.

We all knew that the 3 games agaist the top 3 was going to be hard but should we really be going into them thinking 'anything we get will be a bonus'? Going back over the last 5 years or so I and many others have gone to places like Leicester, Leeds, Sheff Wed and Forest thinking and knowing we will get something because we have quality, passion and a bit of belief in ourselves, but this year I go into the games agaist the bigger/better teams hoping not to get embaressed as we show no evidence of these qualities. As I will be doing no doubt by the time Saturday comes round and we play Norwich.

After Sat we have 5 'easier games' coming up but if we get into a losing habbit then we are in seroius trouble especially as we are entering the final quater of the season. Unfortunatly for us all those teams will be thinking the same and will be going into them expecting to win as we have done against the Scousers and Walsall.

Have I given up hope of survival? No definitly not, but with each passing defeat and poor performance I am starting to accept that it is looking like the most likely scenario.

I appreciate that the run of games against Colchester, Leeds and Norwich were never going to make or break our season, but our unwillingness to have a go against the bigger clubs is disappointing. For the record, I don't consider Colchester to be one of the bigger clubs.

Previous trips to Elland Road, 'though full of nervous anticipation, were exciting affairs where a win seemed a reasonable possibility. I take no pleasure in the fact that a 0-2 result was exactly what I expected before the game started tonight. On such a poor run of results, especially the last 2 at home, Leeds were always going to bring the game to us. I just feel that if we'd thrown that back at them we wouldn't have slipped back into the bottom 4.

Looking at our team tonight, there weren't any excuses for this defend-the-point attitude. Injuries are almost cleared and we have no suspension worries. Let's face it, the squad's as strong as it's going to get between now and the end of the season.

4-4-2 can be the staple of any good attacking team, provided the central midfield 2 are allowed to venture further than 60 yards and the full backs aren't forbidden from overlapping the midfield.

42 goals conceded in 33 games is cheerily average.

25 goals scored in 33 games is a depressing embarrassment.

I really don't understand how anyone can call our first-half performance 'half decent'. We were utterly dreadful from the first minute to the last. It's the same old things that we'll pick at: defensive, negative, unimaginative, shot-shy, slow, dull.

Penney went there for a point, we got nothing, we deserved nothing and I really do feel let down. I know it's Leeds, but the performance we got was dire, add that to the fact LU were absolutely awful too makes for a real disappointment.

Two things: When we went 2-0 down, Penney finally gave a little clap of the hands as if to say 'come on, lads, try and nick a goal'. Hmm... surprising stuff... but with about a minute to go, we show just how negative the man is; they got a corner, sent just four men plus the taker up. We had nine men back. Seven in the box. Two stood outside the box near te taker, who didn't have another player near him to offer the short option. Ball gets pumped out, and before you know it, every man is behind the ball... against four opposition players.

I've officially had it with Penney. His boring, uncharismatic, dull nature is annoying. His style is annoying is even moreso. The man needs to go. Sad thing is, relegation is needed before we see the back of the sheep-shagging tosspot. How worrying we'll probably see him next season whispering instructions and struggling to contain his panic when we have more than three men attacking at once...

Just got back (and never travelling on National Express ever again)... same old story, we played OK and probably edged it in terms of possession in the first half but we could have played until Easter and not scored. I know Taylor's struggled with injuries this season but he looked a shadow of the player who ran Leeds ragged last season (remember when he used to take defenders on and beat them?). I didn't actually realise Smalley was playing until the second half, he was totally anonymous. Maybe Brill could have done better with the first goal but i'm more pissed off that Becchio was totally unmarked.

Losing to the team who are 2nd in the table isn't the end of the world, but the fact that we never looked like threatening them is worrying.It's not like we gave it a go but we were unlucky/outclassed. We never looked like scoring, and once we'd conceded we gave up, again.

Just got back (and never travelling on National Express ever again)... same old story, we played OK and probably edged it in terms of possession in the first half but we could have played until Easter and not scored. I know Taylor's struggled with injuries this season but he looked a shadow of the player who ran Leeds ragged last season (remember when he used to take defenders on and beat them?). I didn't actually realise Smalley was playing until the second half, he was totally anonymous. Maybe Brill could have done better with the first goal but i'm more pissed off that Becchio was totally unmarked.

Losing to the team who are 2nd in the table isn't the end of the world, but the fact that we never looked like threatening them is worrying.It's not like we gave it a go but we were unlucky/outclassed. We never looked like scoring, and once we'd conceded we gave up, again.

we got what we deserved as im led to believe...and quite a few mates who went said we were very poor,same as we have been for most of the season.

like has been said nobody expected anything from the last 2 games and the one on sat against norwich..but the trouble is you carry on losing and it saps the spirit from you and puts you in a negative way....you over analyze everything and end up making more mistakes....the crowd get on your back and bang...:censored: hits the fan....

the boo boys will be very vocal for the rest of the season now,penny out and you dont know what your doing will be more frequent regardless....

the only problem i have is the manager knows we are very low on confidence and strike threat,price and abbott are both target men..we need an out an out striker

its not out of the realms of possibility to change things round if we brought someone in..we have no threat on the flanks so play price between midfield and striker and bring someone in to partner pav....

i didnt think for one moment we would be anywhere near the top half this season....but i didnt think for one moment we would be in the bottom 4 either.....if he doesnt start thinking differently and changing formations around were going down..end of.

Whats worrying is that in the last week Leeds have played 3 home games -

Lost to Walsall (the worst side i have seen recently)

Drew with Brighton (thanks to a last ditch equaliser)

Comfortably beat us 2-0 and should have been more !!!!!!!!!!!

Says it all really.

Like every game this season we appear to go out trying to hang on to the point we started with.

Hopefully grab a goal with one of the few chances we create.

Swapping places with Rochdale next season but at least we will still have Stockport to go too ?

I appreciate that the run of games against Colchester, Leeds and Norwich were never going to make or break our season, but our unwillingness to have a go against the bigger clubs is disappointing. For the record, I don't consider Colchester to be one of the bigger clubs.

Previous trips to Elland Road, 'though full of nervous anticipation, were exciting affairs where a win seemed a reasonable possibility. I take no pleasure in the fact that a 0-2 result was exactly what I expected before the game started tonight. On such a poor run of results, especially the last 2 at home, Leeds were always going to bring the game to us. I just feel that if we'd thrown that back at them we wouldn't have slipped back into the bottom 4.

Looking at our team tonight, there weren't any excuses for this defend-the-point attitude. Injuries are almost cleared and we have no suspension worries. Let's face it, the squad's as strong as it's going to get between now and the end of the season.

4-4-2 can be the staple of any good attacking team, provided the central midfield 2 are allowed to venture further than 60 yards and the full backs aren't forbidden from overlapping the midfield.

42 goals conceded in 33 games is cheerily average.

25 goals scored in 33 games is a depressing embarrassment.

Good post, the problem is not goals conceded but goals scored. We have a manager who is more concerned about conceding than scoring. When we do concede there is no belief that we will come back.

'quick counter attacking play - probably with 2 flying wingers and a bloody good centre forward.'

Who are we talking about here Man U or Arsenal.....You have to be dreaming or on drugs!!!!

Rely on QUALITY!!!!!!!!! what bloody QUALITY!!!!

Our flying wingers are wingers by name only and haven't put in 10 decent crosses between them all flamin season.

Pav is a very decent target man and but for his goals we would be down already............This is without doubt, a relegation squad!!!

First half i thought we looked half decent, we played a lot of long balls up field and Price and Abbott was trying but coming to nothing. We defended very well as a team.

The first goal was poor defending by :censored: at right back, let Beckford get past him easy then Brill should of done better with the shot but parried it out to an unmarked Becchio.

Second goal was pure quality and couldnt find anyone to blame, just one of those things.

Yep, spot on that man. OK, Leeds are on a wobble but they have tons more resources that we have, so any result wasn't too likely. Like you said, we competed well for the first half, kept them at bay. The second half, after they got the goal we lost our shape and you always had the feeling it would be more.

Other than Furman forgetting to track his man for the second, the cross from Snodgrass was a peach. I was commenting to my dad how we don't have the quality to drop one in as accurate as that.

Embarrassing chants about Penney again when he brought Lomax on for Furman. It was to bring :censored: up from right back, but nearly all of them didn't realise that. Brought Pav off as well, presumably to keep him fresh and give Tom Eaves a valuable run out against stiff opposition. I thought it was the right thing to do, too many Latics fans chanted "You don't know what you're doing!"

Never lose sight of the fact that the big games are really to come in March. We don't do so bad against the lower placed teams, so I'm pretty confident that even with a pretty toothless attack (well, midfield really as it's those not chipping in with the goal return) then we'll be alright. Only 3 points off 16th, and then not too far from mid-table.

'quick counter attacking play - probably with 2 flying wingers and a bloody good centre forward.'

Who are we talking about here Man U or Arsenal.....You have to be dreaming or on drugs!!!!

Rely on QUALITY!!!!!!!!! what bloody QUALITY!!!!

Our flying wingers are wingers by name only and haven't put in 10 decent crosses between them all flamin season.

Pav is a very decent target man and but for his goals we would be down already............This is without doubt, a relegation squad!!!

We only have one proper winger at the club - Colbeck - and he doesn't get a game.

Smalley - not a winger. Taylor - lost it this season but not a true winger either.

If the Taylor chance had gone in last night or Paw had a decent shot on him it could have been 2-1 going into a last few nervy minutes for Leeds.

It wasn't and frankly we were outplayed on the night - 6 or 7 players just did not turn up (according to DP).

Time to move on to Saturday - give it a go at home and then move into March - :angry:

We only have one proper winger at the club - Colbeck - and he doesn't get a game.

Smalley - not a winger. Taylor - lost it this season but not a true winger either.

If the Taylor chance had gone in last night or Paw had a decent shot on him it could have been 2-1 going into a last few nervy minutes for Leeds.

It wasn't and frankly we were outplayed on the night - 6 or 7 players just did not turn up (according to DP).

Time to move on to Saturday - give it a go at home and then move into March - :angry:

What is he? Cos he aint a striker either. He needs dropping, At least we will get effort from Colbeck

Embarrassing chants about Penney again when he brought Lomax on for Furman. It was to bring :censored: up from right back, but nearly all of them didn't realise that. Brought Pav off as well, presumably to keep him fresh and give Tom Eaves a valuable run out against stiff opposition. I thought it was the right thing to do, too many Latics fans chanted "You don't know what you're doing!"

See when the few who bother to go to Leeds start chanting it, he might be in some bother.

Then again I remember when we'd bring a young striker on for the last ten minutes when we were actually winning a game :wink: