Post Game Thread: Leeds United

I didn't go tonight 1st game I have missed since Brighton due to family reasons but the result and the way the performance sounds then I'm not suprised in the slightest infact, I pretty much knew how tonight was going to go. We did ok at Colchetser on sat but didnt score we were :censored: against Tranmere and Millwall and didnt score we have played well this season and not scored, its all coming down to the same thing and the manager has had all season to address this but still hasn't found the answer.

We all knew that the 3 games agaist the top 3 was going to be hard but should we really be going into them thinking 'anything we get will be a bonus'? Going back over the last 5 years or so I and many others have gone to places like Leicester, Leeds, Sheff Wed and Forest thinking and knowing we will get something because we have quality, passion and a bit of belief in ourselves, but this year I go into the games agaist the bigger/better teams hoping not to get embaressed as we show no evidence of these qualities. As I will be doing no doubt by the time Saturday comes round and we play Norwich.

After Sat we have 5 'easier games' coming up but if we get into a losing habbit then we are in seroius trouble especially as we are entering the final quater of the season. Unfortunatly for us all those teams will be thinking the same and will be going into them expecting to win as we have done against the Scousers and Walsall.

Have I given up hope of survival? No definitly not, but with each passing defeat and poor performance I am starting to accept that it is looking like the most likely scenario.

A Very good; balanced post!

As you say; in previous seasons; going to places like Leicester, Millwall, Forest etc; you knew we'd at least give a good account ourselves and give it right go. We were set up to 'play' under Shez; the way of getting points at that time was to go out, pass the ball and create and score to get us wins. With that mentality of play; it did leave us sometimes exposed at the back (and we also had a fair few individual errors in the mix too) so we did concede as well as score BUT; our draws under Shez were invariably score draws; where we had gone out to win the game but had conceded as well as score.

This season, the tactics and attitude instilled in the players seems to be to set out from the first whistle to not get beat. Away from home in particular; we're playing from the off for a draw. Earlier in the season, I was at the Valley to see the 0-0, and although we had the Reuben / Pav effort chalked off, as a team they were sent out to stop Charlton; rather than to trouble Charlton. It was 10 men behind the ball and Pav isolated up front and defend for lives. At the time in October; I don't think any of us expected that performance to be anything other than a one-off; instead it was a precedent for the rest of the season.

The major issue for me is that if you implement a negative style of play and a 'play for the draw' or a 'play to not get disgraced' mentality for away games; then it becomes the norm carte blanche - home games have gone the exact same way - and therein lies a major problem. Having your season ticket holders, pay on the dayer's and floaters watch a team sent out every other week to simply not get beat is a recipe for disaster for both the points hall and attendances alike.

In a fair few years of watching latics; I don't think I've enjoyed a season less than this one. I posted before Xmas that the only thing that was keeping me coming through the turnstiles was my season ticket; and I think the falling attendances are testament that that is the case for a large number. Put bluntly; £20-£22 is a sum that is far to much to pay to watch a limp, defensive, passionless, negative side play god-awful football.

I don't go along with those who are saying ' these 3 fixtures were always going to bring 0 points' WHY should they? Why should we roll over and give 3 points to sides just because they are up at the top of the league?

Colchester are a beatable side; yes they're 3rd but they looked 1 dimensional at BP and if they have the game taken to them; they are rattled.

Leeds had been on a poor run; Brighton had took a point off them (should have been 3 too) and Walsall had got the win. We should have been looking to compound there poor run and go and play for the win.

Norwich were nearly done by Southend last night so it shows that they are gettable.

Unfortunately under DP the tactics aren't there to go and look for points against the 'big boys'; with the full back set to 'defend' mode and rarely venturing past the half line, with a central midfield reluctant to go beyond and support, with out of sorts wide men who wont take on fullbacks, with no outright goalscorer playing on the shoulder of the last man and with no creativity in the side at all.

The massively worrying thing is that these same tactics and mindset are going to be there for the next 5 or so games; when DP will set us up to not get beat. Make no bones; even with the games in hand; we're in a relegation battle and I see that we don't have the tactics or fight for it.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like our good times are against Leeds are long gone. We have played them Three times this season and have never looked like getting anything more than a defeat and a big fat zero when it comes to goals scored. I really do hope that the reason for our abysmal showing is Penneys tactics because he has the option to change them, but if players dont turn up because they cannot get themselves motivated against the likes of Leeds we are well and truly knackered.

Looks like our good times are against Leeds are long gone. We have played them Three times this season and have never looked like getting anything more than a defeat and a big fat zero when it comes to goals scored. I really do hope that the reason for our abysmal showing is Penneys tactics because he has the option to change them, but if players dont turn up because they cannot get themselves motivated against the likes of Leeds we are well and truly knackered.

Very worrying - I hope that we can just put it down to a 'bad day at the...' and come Saturday we see the team that turned up at Colchester (with Colbeck in for Smalley) :wink:

Narrow, defensive, afraid to shoot or take a player on - that do ya? :huh:

Smarty pants :grin:

Well what is the intention? Ronald went long ball when he grew tired of passing for ten minutes, Shez liked to use the wings. What do we actually do. Mix of everything it seems, one game we're putting it wide, the next we're hoofing it like we're back in the 80's and charging to the half way line.

Narrow, defensive, afraid to shoot or take a player on - that do ya? :huh:

+1

Evidence......

Lowest scorers in the league

Failed to score in over half of the games we have played in all competitions this season (we have played 33 and failed to score in 17)

We have never scored more than two in a match

+1

Evidence......

Lowest scorers in the league

Failed to score in over half of the games we have played in all competitions this season (we have played 33 and failed to score in 17)

We have never scored more than two in a match

And that's not even the worst part.

The worst part is the fans being driven away. The club absolutely can't afford this, now more so than ever.

3500 would be the new year average wouldn't it? Just 300 at Leeds?!

Woeful. And worrying.

And that's not even the worst part.

The worst part is the fans being driven away. The club absolutely can't afford this, now more so than ever.

3500 would be the new year average wouldn't it? Just 300 at Leeds?!

Woeful. And worrying.

How many did we take to Leeds last season?

And how hard is it going to be to get these fans back???

A Very good; balanced post!

As you say; in previous seasons; going to places like Leicester, Millwall, Forest etc; you knew we'd at least give a good account ourselves and give it right go. We were set up to 'play' under Shez; the way of getting points at that time was to go out, pass the ball and create and score to get us wins. With that mentality of play; it did leave us sometimes exposed at the back (and we also had a fair few individual errors in the mix too) so we did concede as well as score BUT; our draws under Shez were invariably score draws; where we had gone out to win the game but had conceded as well as score.

This season, the tactics and attitude instilled in the players seems to be to set out from the first whistle to not get beat. Away from home in particular; we're playing from the off for a draw. Earlier in the season, I was at the Valley to see the 0-0, and although we had the Reuben / Pav effort chalked off, as a team they were sent out to stop Charlton; rather than to trouble Charlton. It was 10 men behind the ball and Pav isolated up front and defend for lives. At the time in October; I don't think any of us expected that performance to be anything other than a one-off; instead it was a precedent for the rest of the season.

The major issue for me is that if you implement a negative style of play and a 'play for the draw' or a 'play to not get disgraced' mentality for away games; then it becomes the norm carte blanche - home games have gone the exact same way - and therein lies a major problem. Having your season ticket holders, pay on the dayer's and floaters watch a team sent out every other week to simply not get beat is a recipe for disaster for both the points hall and attendances alike.

In a fair few years of watching latics; I don't think I've enjoyed a season less than this one. I posted before Xmas that the only thing that was keeping me coming through the turnstiles was my season ticket; and I think the falling attendances are testament that that is the case for a large number. Put bluntly; £20-£22 is a sum that is far to much to pay to watch a limp, defensive, passionless, negative side play god-awful football.

I don't go along with those who are saying ' these 3 fixtures were always going to bring 0 points' WHY should they? Why should we roll over and give 3 points to sides just because they are up at the top of the league?

Colchester are a beatable side; yes they're 3rd but they looked 1 dimensional at BP and if they have the game taken to them; they are rattled.

Leeds had been on a poor run; Brighton had took a point off them (should have been 3 too) and Walsall had got the win. We should have been looking to compound there poor run and go and play for the win.

Norwich were nearly done by Southend last night so it shows that they are gettable.

Unfortunately under DP the tactics aren't there to go and look for points against the 'big boys'; with the full back set to 'defend' mode and rarely venturing past the half line, with a central midfield reluctant to go beyond and support, with out of sorts wide men who wont take on fullbacks, with no outright goalscorer playing on the shoulder of the last man and with no creativity in the side at all.

The massively worrying thing is that these same tactics and mindset are going to be there for the next 5 or so games; when DP will set us up to not get beat. Make no bones; even with the games in hand; we're in a relegation battle and I see that we don't have the tactics or fight for it.

Very well said.

Best post i've seen on here for a while.

Superb post, hit the nail right on the head,

Superb post, hit the nail right on the head,

Ta! :blush:

Just posted a longer version of the following on the 'Message to Simon Corney' thread too.

The worrying thing is there are the fans who are automatically thinking we're going to get results and points from the next 5 games - playing the way we have been all season (bar 1 or 2 "freak" games as they have turned out to be) then I don't see us banking these fabled points. These 5 games will shape our fate; and on current trends that's L2 as unbelievably depressing as that is. :disappointed:

Edited by slystallone

Just posted a longer version of the following on the 'Message to Simon Corney' thread too.

The worrying thing is there are the fans who are automatically thinking we're going to get results and points from the next 5 games - playing the way we have been all season (bar 1 or 2 "freak" games as they have turned out to be) then I don't see us banking these fabled points. These 5 games will shape our fate; and on current trends that's L2 as unbelievably depressing as that is. :disappointed:

That is exactly it. Oh it is fine we'll be safe beating them. They'll be eyeing us up thinking well Oldham's home form is not the best, we could take a point up there, bloody hell if we go one nil up we've got three points.

Knew this would happen, we beat Tranmere and Walsall (as we had to) and then people said 'Colchester-Leeds-Norwich...anything's a bonus', fully expecting we'd get beaten in three games against the league's top three teams. Yet we lose the first two, as everyone accepted we would probably do, and suddenly the end is nigh.

I wonder if getting beaten in these three games was in the players heads as well.

It was an excellent post, though I was disappointed in your use of the word "hall" as opposed to "haul". ^_^

It was an excellent post, though I was disappointed in your use of the word "hall" as opposed to "haul". ^_^

There's always one isn't there? :wink:

Worrying times these though; although i've not been to Burton's stadium or Aldershot ground; might be fun................or not :disappointed:

Edited by slystallone

It's true that the next 5 games may sela our fate, though not certain.

I am far from a doom and glooomer.

I am worried we carry our form into the games.

But I am more worried we carry the mentality that we cannot afford to be defeated and play negatively.

There have been bright spells of late, and a couple of wins and we will regain a momentum I feel.

I will be hugely disappointed if we don;t take the game to the next 5 opponets, I fully expect a couple fo draws and the odd defeat, but hopefully we can impose ourselves on other teasm rather than the other way round.

We don't seem to have been played off the park, like we have int he past at time, we just don't seem to be able toraise our game.

March is a massive month for us, 7 games to play thus 21 points available but teh majority of those are against the teams which we will finish near come May. A lot more teams will be fancying playing us than vice versa. Without goals were are going to remain in that bottom 4, something needs to change and that is surely in the form of a more attack mided team. We have pacy attacking players which simply have not been utilised this season. I know Taylor and Smalley have not performed as well as they can but perhaps an element of this can be attributed to tactics? I am sure that it is no coincidence that Taylor was at his best under Shez.

Some points on the board quickly please or Bury, The Dale and Shez might be passing us which is not a good thought

November and December were very poor. January no better and a heavily disrupted fixture programme meant it was very difficult to get any form going, and very easy to look at the league table and panic.

In February we played two and won 2. The latter at home was a performance as well as a result, and whilst only scoring one goal looked like we could score more.

Didn't go to Colchester, but watch the 2 minute highlights on the BBC website and it shows a plethora of Oldham chances and matches the views of some that whilst the turnaround in results had been halted, the improvement in performance continued.

We then play badly and lose away to Leeds United. And the season is over and we need to sack the manager.

People post on forums comments such as "anything out of the next 3 games is a bonus", but they don't mean it. You type it, but secretly hope to pick up at least 4 points and when it doesn't happen start the doom and gloom.

Has DP had a good start? No. But I still think he inherited a poorly performing squad which had lost its goal scorer and did not have a big budget to improve things. I am from the school of thought that says give managers time (I'd have kept Sheriden in the first place) and therefore will back DP and the team to ensure we have a comfortable end to the season in terms of points, if not free-flowing attacking football that we want.

I'd then back him for another full season at least to see what he can deliver with some time.

November and December were very poor. January no better and a heavily disrupted fixture programme meant it was very difficult to get any form going, and very easy to look at the league table and panic.

In February we played two and won 2. The latter at home was a performance as well as a result, and whilst only scoring one goal looked like we could score more.

Didn't go to Colchester, but watch the 2 minute highlights on the BBC website and it shows a plethora of Oldham chances and matches the views of some that whilst the turnaround in results had been halted, the improvement in performance continued.

We then play badly and lose away to Leeds United. And the season is over and we need to sack the manager.

People post on forums comments such as "anything out of the next 3 games is a bonus", but they don't mean it. You type it, but secretly hope to pick up at least 4 points and when it doesn't happen start the doom and gloom.

Has DP had a good start? No. But I still think he inherited a poorly performing squad which had lost its goal scorer and did not have a big budget to improve things. I am from the school of thought that says give managers time (I'd have kept Sheriden in the first place) and therefore will back DP and the team to ensure we have a comfortable end to the season in terms of points, if not free-flowing attacking football that we want.

I'd then back him for another full season at least to see what he can deliver with some time.

I'm sorry but if he takes us down then i hope we get rid.I couldn't stomach another season of the mindnumbingly boring football we've had to endure this term.

Get a new man in early so he can shape his side for the next campaign ( yes i know ) but it needs doing. we're heading in one direction :titanic:

Disagree with the last bit, if we are relegated he has to go. No ifs, no buts.

From a Leeds point of view if your team didn't spend so much energy wasting time and looking for a smash and grab instead of playing football and attempting to win the game you might not be where you are.

Do you think we like that as fans of the club? No, we think it is as :censored: as you do.