Final Consultation

I really cannot see why everyone is running around in circles and in the main down dark alleys. Apart from not actively seeking, gaining and getting the correct funding that is!. We have a football club with over 100 years heritage that currently sits on alot of prime land that as so much scope (and initial permission) to develope into something great. Forget Ferney Fields and Failsworth lets do the bloody obvious thing all round and seek investment to make the BP site an area where people flock to every day and night of the week, more so than currently flock to BP on a Saturday. Forget the houses apart from the top of the site for keyworker unit's and get leisure business on there, stuff that all the Oldham folk will enjoy and yes.....even the Mancs from Failsworth.

The voice of reason and sense....

:applause1::imnotworthy:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it now clearly obvious that Failsworth is going the way every other plots gone?. The only plot we've got is BP, so why rush head long into a senerio where even that plots gone? Yes I know TTA have spent money snapping up Failsworth land and do you know what? they've still got it!!!!! they can build houses on it and get their cash back. However once all the plots have gone Latics can't get BP back. Remember the promise...football on BP for 10 years, that's the only promise we have and I believe it will be honoured, but what then? I've said it before and I'll say it again....ground share at Spotland anyone?

And the frigging rest!!!!!!

Isn't it now clearly obvious that Failsworth is going the way every other plots gone?. The only plot we've got is BP, so why rush head long into a senerio where even that plots gone? Yes I know TTA have spent money snapping up Failsworth land and do you know what? they've still got it!!!!! they can build houses on it and get their cash back. However once all the plots have gone Latics can't get BP back. Remember the promise...football on BP for 10 years, that's the only promise we have and I believe it will be honoured, but what then? I've said it before and I'll say it again....ground share at Spotland anyone?

Im just fed up with this town and there love to destroy OAFC any other town in the world get's 100% support.

It's the only obvious choice for me. If they can get investment for Failsworth, why can't they get investment for BP????

Oddly enough, I think I'd rather share with Rochdale than move to Failsworth, which, as far as I'm concerned, is Manchester.

I can just picture it all now. 2014 and poor AH having to try somehow (holding back his own anger/feelings) trying to justify Latics having no home and big up the Spotland ground share. How it was all the councils fault and the Chron for backing local campaigns against the club that thwarted any new ground. How BP was just unfundable and had to be sold off whereas other plots would have been fundable had it not been for the council. How we mustn't forget the positives out of ground sharing and how much more money can now go on the team instead of ground maintenance. I can just see it all now...... and then the bomb shell, the people of Oldham don't deserve a football club they just didn't support us....que the sunset, mule and wave.

Edited by Lags

i wouldnt be botherd with the ground share ac milan inter milan why not :D

Go the whole way, change our name and kit as well eh.

Let Harry build those houses and that's it. Use what we have. How much must they have wasted over the years on plans and designs, land and whatever else.

I urge TTA to stick around and put in as much effort over this next 12 months period in sourcing, developing partnerships and ultimately funding for a new BP leisure and centertainment park. A star city if you will for all to see as they exit the motorway network into Oldham. I urge the council to sit in silence for the first minute of their next meeting, close their eyes and picture what they would see as they drove into Oldham off the motorway. The bright lights of a modern, thriving, popular entertainment centre with a terrific football ground at it's very heart. If they like what they see that first minute take another and another how they sit with prospective investors in other parts of Oldham and business leaders selling what they can see and put this place on the bloody map. Why take what the Michael Winners of this world say on national radio lying down. Come on everyone, lets get behind the Oldham Centertainment Park.... OCP for Oldham.

I can just picture it all now. 2014 and poor AH having to try somehow (holding back his own anger/feelings) trying to justify Latics having no home and big up the Spotland ground share. How it was all the councils fault and the Chron for backing local campaigns against the club that thwarted any new ground. How BP was just unfundable and had to be sold off whereas other plots would have been fundable had it not been for the council. How we mustn't forget the positives out of ground sharing and how much more money can now go on the team instead of ground maintenance. I can just see it all now...... and then the bomb shell, the people of Oldham don't deserve a football club they just didn't support us....que the sunset, mule and wave.

That's just it though Lags - the vast majority of the Oldham people don't deserve a football team. They couldn't give a f*ck. All they want are playing fields where they can take their fleabitten dogs for a :censored:. And wasteland that becomes a broken bottle bank.

Quite frankly, I'd laugh my tits off if the TTA took the club to Ashton/Rochdale/wherever - it'd serve the town right. I'd feel for the minority who do care and do make an effort. But perhaps it might take something like that to make the apathetic public/council sit up and take note.

And the frigging rest!!!!!!

That sounds like a frustration or jealously driven jibe - what's to stop you buying some land and developing it?

To go off on a bit a tangent, what happens should there be no scope for a return on the building works which are to be the basis of the Holroy Homes/Developments purchase of the BP land, which is of course to largely fund the Failsworth development? In view of the delays which have already occured, when is the land now programmed to be sold?

Now a resident economist may be on hand to correct my reasoning (or CJ may return to concur and paint a picture highlighting the imminent economic doomsday) but the one thing currently supporting house prices is the non-existant interest rate, however the time will come when the BoE has to stop delaying the inevitable and raise rates toward something sensible. At this point the thousands of gullible people who bought property thinking it would gain yet more value and spent their 'equity' accordingly, before then falling victim to the recession, will no longer be able afford their homes/mortgages. Defaults will ensue, the market will become flooded and prices will consequently plummet to where they would and should have done when all this kicked off in 2007/2008 had the government and BoE not stepped in to delay, not prevent, it's occurence. Where would that leave TTA and OAFC should it happen prior to the land sale, which hardly looks imminent at the moment? I suppose it would essentially be a repeat of the scenario which led to Oldham Arena being shelved.

It's possible that the rental market subsequently booming will protect prices somewhat, to the benefit of the wealthy I suppose, but who knows? I certainly worry that TTA, Holroy/HDGS and most importantly OAFC seem to have their eggs in one quite precarious, and yet unpopular, basket. Based on my scenario playing out, surely commercial development of the BP land would be more viable than residential, in which case we might as well keep our stadium where it is and let TTA do whatever they feel best with their Failsworth land. Cheaper houses on that cheaper land, or further commercial development, may just be the order of the day.

That sounds like a frustration or jealously driven jibe - what's to stop you buying some land and developing it?

To go off on a bit a tangent, what happens should there be no scope for a return on the building works which are to be the basis of the Holroy Homes/Developments purchase of the BP land, which is of course to largely fund the Failsworth development? In view of the delays which have already occured, when is the land now programmed to be sold?

Now a resident economist may be on hand to correct my reasoning (or CJ may return to concur and paint a picture highlighting the imminent economic doomsday) but the one thing currently supporting house prices is the non-existant interest rate, however the time will come when the BoE has to stop delaying the inevitable and raise rates toward something sensible. At this point the thousands of gullible people who bought property thinking it would gain yet more value and spent their 'equity' accordingly, before then falling victim to the recession, will no longer be able afford their homes/mortgages. Defaults will ensue, the market will become flooded and prices will consequently plummet to where they would and should have done when all this kicked off in 2007/2008 had the government and BoE not stepped in to delay, not prevent, it's occurence. Where would that leave TTA and OAFC should it happen prior to the land sale, which hardly looks imminent at the moment? I suppose it would essentially be a repeat of the scenario which led to Oldham Arena being shelved.

It's possible that the rental market subsequently booming will protect prices somewhat, to the benefit of the wealthy I suppose, but who knows? I certainly worry that TTA, Holroy/HDGS and most importantly OAFC seem to have their eggs in one quite precarious, and yet unpopular, basket. Based on my scenario playing out, surely commercial development of the BP land would be more viable than residential, in which case we might as well keep our stadium where it is and let TTA do whatever they feel best with their Failsworth land. Cheaper houses on that cheaper land, or further commercial development, may just be the order of the day.

It wasn't meant to, apologies if it did.

It was meant to convey that assuming Failsworth didnt go through, and TTA have this plot of land, they could make alot more back than simply what they paid for it.

It wasn't meant to, apologies if it did.

It was meant to convey that assuming Failsworth didnt go through, and TTA have this plot of land, they could make alot more back than simply what they paid for it.

No need to apologise to me mate, but fair enough.

They could make more money but of course only by adding value in terms of development, and even that might not be viable given my previous posting.

A number of people have asked the question re: if we can develop failsworth, why can't we develop BP?

My understanding is its down to cost. We need a new stadium, and that will cost £X million pounds

The land in failsworth is cheaper than the land at BP due to the proximity to the motorway network (if you listen to Radio 5Live they have been talking about 'Motorway man' being the key voter demographic for the upcoming election - the land at BP is perfect for that type of decelopement).

So you buy land in Failsworth for £Y million, build the stadium on it for £X million. If you can then sell the land at BP for more than the £Y million you paid for failsworth, then the Failsworth project is cheaper and therefore more affordable than redeveloping BP.

Other factors are that to develop a stadium on BP properly, I think you'd have to knock everything down and start again due to the currently proximity of the main stand to Sheepfoot lane. This would mean that the club would need to incur costs for a ground-share in the mean time and due to the land clearance costs its possible that a new stadium at BP may cost more than a new one at failsworth. Putting yet more fianancial incentive to do it at a new location.

Given the derth of facilities in the Oldham area and the size of the land at BP, it would seem that a Entertainment Park style project (Bowling, Cinema, bars/restaurtants etc) on the site might have economic benefits. There may be good reasons why this isn't the case (planning permision, amount of land something like this might actually need may be more than we have, no commerical people are interested etc).

I'd love to have a new stadium on BP. I'd also be happy with a stand by stand regeneration of the current ground (accepting that the current main stand may be smaller). These would both be preferable to Failsworth.

However, I'd accept a new ground elsewhere (even Failsworth) if its the only short-medium term option that will improve our facilities at all. The current ground (even before its been allowed to degrade more quickly recently) is poor and out of pace with what potential new supporters want/expect - longer term this will effect our core support as much as poor on field performances.

It's the only obvious choice for me. If they can get investment for Failsworth, why can't they get investment for BP????

Oddly enough, I think I'd rather share with Rochdale than move to Failsworth, which, as far as I'm concerned, is Manchester.

Snookmeister

I refer to the quote in my signature.

They cannot get the funding becasue the whole thing relies on the greater value of BP as development land.

The money, thankfully is not finance (debt) that has to be repaid, but from the value we obtain from seeling BP and buying cheaper Failsworth land

Then we are debt free with income stream.

Though yes, with the difficulties hopefully a way can be found of getting income streams at BP and develop it.

I urge TTA to stick around and put in as much effort over this next 12 months period in sourcing, developing partnerships and ultimately funding for a new BP leisure and centertainment park. A star city if you will for all to see as they exit the motorway network into Oldham. I urge the council to sit in silence for the first minute of their next meeting, close their eyes and picture what they would see as they drove into Oldham off the motorway. The bright lights of a modern, thriving, popular entertainment centre with a terrific football ground at it's very heart. If they like what they see that first minute take another and another how they sit with prospective investors in other parts of Oldham and business leaders selling what they can see and put this place on the bloody map. Why take what the Michael Winners of this world say on national radio lying down. Come on everyone, lets get behind the Oldham Centertainment Park.... OCP for Oldham.

Count me in.

House prices :blahblah: house prices :blahblah::blahblah:

I could very well see an ongoing decline in house prices. One of the main things keeping them stable at the moment is simply that very few people are selling because they think the market is at the bottom and they hope it will pick in in the next year or two. However, there were a record number of people declared insolvent in a recent month/period and the jobs market is still not looking too clever (unemployment tends to lag behind an economic downturn). Add to that that after the general election (whoever wins) there are going to be serious cuts in civil service jobs (well, there had better be or we are the new Greece) and there will be a lot more houses up for sale, as sadly the owners will have no choice. And I completely agree that when interest rates go back up, which they will at some stage, it will knock house prices heavily. People who are struggling to get by will have to find a few hundred extra a month, first time buyers will beout of it etc. The market in the US has been contracting for years and the same could well happen here.

Gets you thinking, if we could have gone ahead a few years back with the plan to replace the pitches and facilities at clayton fields to the BP site and built our new stadium and leisure facilities there, where would we be now? I'm sure in a better position than we are now!

Bloody Clayton Action Group have a lot to answer for.........they were getting much improved facilities after all.

Looks like once more we're gonna be thwarted................Forward with lags' OCP i say.

Yes I know TTA have spent money snapping up Failsworth land and do you know what? they've still got it!!!!! they can build houses on it and get their cash back.

You obviously know very little about development. TTA didn't pay a residential land value for the Lancaster Club site because you can't get residential properties on it. It's allocated for leisure so you'll get leisure uses on it.

Using your ignorant thinking, you might aswell buy some farmers fields in Saddleworth and bang some houses on it. In fact forget that, get Oldham Centertainment Park on it.......... <_<

Im just fed up with this town and there love to destroy OAFC any other town in the world get's 100% support.

what like brighton and wimbledon did hhhhhhhmmmmmm they never had to ground share due to nimbys now did they ?

Edited by peanuts

You obviously know very little about development. TTA didn't pay a residential land value for the Lancaster Club site because you can't get residential properties on it. It's allocated for leisure so you'll get leisure uses on it.

Using your ignorant thinking, you might aswell buy some farmers fields in Saddleworth and bang some houses on it. In fact forget that, get Oldham Centertainment Park on it.......... <_<

Hark at the clever Bastard. If you know something I don't brother by all means tell me and educate me........ don't ever try to belittle me you :censored: . Now:censored: off

Edited by Lookers_Carl
language

But the point still remains that even if the stadium doesnot go through, TTA can develope this land for other purposes that come under 'leisure', make their £££ back and probably a fair bit more

Some people really hate the council don't they? :lol:

I think the council should be given some credit for at least trying to work together with the club to get the Failsworth project off the ground. Yes they've hit a (rather large in my opinion) stumbling block, but unfortunately these things can happen when you attempt change.

It's not as if the council are actively trying to kill the club - that's (seemingly) the remit of the people of Oldham and their local paper... :blink:

Oh, and Lags - I'm in mate. We want redevelopment at our home, Boundary Park.

Everyone tells us the recession killed that plan, but I still have yet to see a straightforward figure that tells us what that financial gap is. I'd love to see just how possible (or not) it would be to stay at BP and develop what we can when we can - starting with a Main Stand that contains significant income generating facilities, with the rest as and when incoming commercial investment allows.

And if TTA have spent £3m on the Lancaster Club plot, either develop that with the Council to provide state of the art community football facilities that generate another (all be it probably quite small) income stream for the club - OR convince the council that the best way to compensate the club for their Memorial Park cock up is to buy that Lancaster Club Land back off TTA and do the community stuff themselves, thus giving us our £3m back to put towards the new Broadway Main Stand.

Is that really so completely impossible that we shouldn't even consider it? :blink:

Edited by garcon