Rapist Father Story On BBC

Ackey

Please be aware, the below is of an adult nature and may upset those easily offended.

I'm not sure if perhaps I was out of the country when this (BBC Article) story first broke, or if it simply passed me by.

The 'system' has apologised to two women who were systematically raped by their father over pretty much their entire lifetime.

However, what caught my attention in this was the sentence he received...

The sentencing judge, Alan Goldsack QC, said the case was the worst he had seen in 40 years. The judge heard the attacks on the victims led to 18 pregnancies. Nine of the children were born, two of whom died on the day of their birth. Another 10 pregnancies were miscarried or aborted.

The father's minimum jail term of 19-and-a-half years was cut to 14-and-a-half years at the Court of Appeal in May 2009.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?

This man, an indescribably evil... I can't even bring myself to call him a human being, raped his own daughters 18 times (that are recorded... heaven knows how many more more times they had to endure his rape) and is sentenced on appeal to 14 years in jail!?

That's less than a year per recorded rape!! I'm feeling physically sick. Forgive the topic, I appreciate it's an uncomfortable thing to have to discuss. However I had to vent my outrage. How this man could even potentially see freedom again is beyond me.

I would have thought a life term with the strictest medical/psychological parole conditions attached would have been more appropriate. The he might be out in 15 years or so but only if he is adjudged to no longer be a threat.

I appreciate what you're saying... but for what he's done he has no right to freedom, threat or otherwise!!!

I appreciate what you're saying... but for what he's done he has no right to freedom, threat or otherwise!!!

I think there are some cases that warrant life without parole. This would probably be one of them.

Edited by oafc0000

Well I think we also need to be some what reserved though with such calls as we never have the full facts. i do trust the judges to get it right more often than not.

I'm always sceptical... however there's nothing to suggest the quoted figure from the BBC is anything but factual. And there are, to me, no extenuating circumstances which excuse raping two of your own children once... let alone almost 20 times!!

Let's say I'd surprised if he ever met the parole conditions I'd have set.

Eventually it boils down to a really fundamental question of what the UK criminal justice system is intended to do. Is it 100% punishment, or to what degree should there be elements of protecting society (i.e. considering parole when an offender is no longer deemed a threat) and rehabilitation (to try and minimise re-offending).

I get the feeling that given the choice the majority of "the man in the street" would happily see us follow the US path of 100% punishment and the associated severe penal (and capital) sentences.

I wonder if those people would happily pay the required additional taxes to meet the cost of trebling (yes trebling) the number of UK prison spaces and funding all elements of a capital punishment system (which in just about every country/state it still happens actually costs more per head than life incarceration).

I'm always sceptical... however there's nothing to suggest the quoted figure from the BBC is anything but factual. And there are, to me, no extenuating circumstances which excuse raping two of your own children once... let alone almost 20 times!!

Me neither... I do agree with you..

I saw how factual the BBC don't get it though during the Oldham riots though :wink:

The sentence is probably a "life term" in which case the 14 1/2 years is the minimum term that he would have to served before being considered for parole. In order to get out, they would need to meet conditions and be considered to be rehabilitated and so technically he could spend the rest of his life in jail.

Though frankly with this, I cannot see why the minimum term is not higher.

Let's say I'd surprised if he ever met the parole conditions I'd have set.

Eventually it boils down to a really fundamental question of what the UK criminal justice system is intended to do. Is it 100% punishment, or to what degree should there be elements of protecting society (i.e. considering parole when an offender is no longer deemed a threat) and rehabilitation (to try and minimise re-offending).

I get the feeling that given the choice the majority of "the man in the street" would happily see us follow the US path of 100% punishment and the associated severe penal (and capital) sentences.

I wonder if those people would happily pay the required additional taxes to meet the cost of trebling (yes trebling) the number of UK prison spaces and funding all elements of a capital punishment system (which in just about every country/state it still happens actually costs more per head than life incarceration).

I don't want 100% punishment... Joe Public would bring back hanging given the chance...

As John Prescott once said though... "The public are idiots, I can say that now I am not in office" :lol:

He's got a life sentence (according to the article at any rate), 14 1/2 years is the minimum term and bearing in mind that will put him comfortably into his 70s and he's a child rapist, nevermind the children were his own daughters, I can't see him lasting too long in prison without some "con-justice" being handed out. I hate to say this but I do think someone in the NHS should have put 2 and 2 together quicker considering the number of miscarriages, abortions and neo-natal deaths involved.

I would like to see someone like him getting handed over to Satan very early but its a sad state of affairs that capital punishment is not all that good of a deterent and gets used for people who are innocent and I would much rather see one guilty man rot away in prision (or even mistakenly released) then kill an innocent one

I would like to see someone like him getting handed over to Satan very early but its a sad state of affairs that capital punishment is not all that good of a deterent and gets used for people who are innocent and I would much rather see one guilty man rot away in prision (or even mistakenly released) then kill an innocent one

I think prison/normal morals are a deterrant for 99% of people. If they were not, this sort of thing would happen more regularly. I very much doubt this bloke was a normal person who just decided to do this, weighing up the pros and cons of what would happen if he got caught. I would very much imagine that he was frankly tapped and that there were elements of his own upbringing that lead to this.