If DP was to pick Brooke to play alongside Abbott tomorrow..

I'd hold off from going with Eaves - he is too young - but I'd look at going with Brooke next week depending on where Nardiello and Parker are up to. I agree with Ackey's point, but there may be a happy medium whereby we let him have a couple of games without the pressure of people breathing over his shoulder and safe in the knowledge that there are more established professionals on the way back to fitness for the crunch at the end of the year.

That said though, I am not sure that the strikers have been the whole problem this year. I'd put an awful lot of blame on how deep the midfield play, and if they start getting beyond Abbott with regularity then we will see more goals - just like Tuesday.

Oh, and as Smalley seemed to be coming to terms with his role on Tuesday I'd be sure to start him on the wing at the weekend - more of the same from that young man please.

Brooke is too young yet & I would be disappointed in DP should he put him in the lineup.

I'd hold off from going with Eaves - he is too young - but I'd look at going with Brooke next week depending on where Nardiello and Parker are up to. I agree with Ackey's point, but there may be a happy medium whereby we let him have a couple of games without the pressure of people breathing over his shoulder and safe in the knowledge that there are more established professionals on the way back to fitness for the crunch at the end of the year.

That said though, I am not sure that the strikers have been the whole problem this year. I'd put an awful lot of blame on how deep the midfield play, and if they start getting beyond Abbott with regularity then we will see more goals - just like Tuesday.

Oh, and as Smalley seemed to be coming to terms with his role on Tuesday I'd be sure to start him on the wing at the weekend - more of the same from that young man please.

No such thing if they have talent and application, Eaves fits the bill.

Brooke is too young yet & I would be disappointed in DP should he put him in the lineup.

Firstly the idea of playing Brooke being wrong because he is too young is a bit daft - are you seriously saying that he is too young to even start one game? We are talking about putting him in the frame for one game to cover for Nardiello...

Secondly, there is such a thing as being too young. Kids struggle to play consecutive games for fitness, and have we seen talent to justify starting from Eaves? Has he electrified and wowed in his couple of chances thus far?

Brooke can start one game - it'll teach him a lot to have a bit of responsibility without too much pressure. Eaves should be on the bench for now, with possibly a start later in the season if we are safe by then - next year is one where he should start picking up more of the slack.

From what I have seen from Brooke he isnt ready - yet. if we get mathematically safe then throw him in then but at the moment he isnt ready bar his one goal he hasnt shown much when he has played - early days yet for him so no problem there but we need to carry a threat tomos no passengers allowed. Smally had some decent spells on tuesday so he should have some confidence about him to have a go at wycombe and his pace will come in handy if abbot can play him in again.

Id rather we put taylor right wing then introduce the kids tomos its the wrong time for that there has been a slight improvement recently in the team if we continue like that we should be ok tomos

Edited by bluehobbit

Firstly the idea of playing Brooke being wrong because he is too young is a bit daft - are you seriously saying that he is too young to even start one game? We are talking about putting him in the frame for one game to cover for Nardiello...

When that one game's a must-win relegation 6-pointer, yes, i would say he isn't ready. Everyone can see his talent but he's looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights whenever he's been thrown on to rescue the game this season.

Stick Gregan up front, what's the worst that could happen?

When that one game's a must-win relegation 6-pointer, yes, i would say he isn't ready. Everyone can see his talent but he's looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights whenever he's been thrown on to rescue the game this season.

Stick Gregan up front, what's the worst that could happen?

You'd seriously advocate leaving Reuben in charge at the back? Uh-oh!

Thing is though bringing it back on topic, how many options do we have? I think he'll take Smalley up top and play Colbeck wide right - that's the smart option and the safe one. However, given that I thought Smalley did very well on the wing against Leyton Orient I'd have liked to see him given a bit of licence to make the spot his own.

While I agree with that sentiment, I would rather see Penney stick Alessandra up front, because their game will suffer as a result of the barracking they get once they fail to score a hat-trick...or miss a 'sitter' etc., etc.

Where is Alessandra anyway?

That is a very good point, why is he not being considered as an option?

He scored in the reserves, not too long ago.

No. He doesnt. He has been nothing short of embarrasing each time he has come on so far. This is no slight on him, but he shouldnt be anywhere near the team at the moment.

As has been said, if we are 9 points clear of relegation with two games left, then Eaves gets a game. Now - stay in the stiffs lad.

No. He doesnt. He has been nothing short of embarrasing each time he has come on so far. This is no slight on him, but he shouldnt be anywhere near the team at the moment.

As has been said, if we are 9 points clear of relegation with two games left, then Eaves gets a game. Now - stay in the stiffs lad.

Very harsh IMO

I have seen 2 of his appearances and they could have been no longer than 10 mins each. In neither of those did he come across as embarrassingly bad, he just didnt get into the game, which to be fair is difficult in such a short space of time. If he gets a full run out and is embarrassingly bad fair play.

No way has Eaves looked anywhere near embarrasing, looked ok to me! We've done the Smalley up front think and it doesn't work and we've tried Parker up front and doesn't really work, give Eaves a chance! :wink:

:petesake:

I honestly despair. If we put eaves in the first team he would get eaten alive... both by the opposition and the fans. Everyone can spout off about giving youth a chance, but as soon as he goes in that side the abuse would start.

Not good at the moment. Would rather have smalley or even parker by a million miles. Or Jigsaw. At least they know how to take some stick. They are obviously used to it.

Its the same arguement we had last year, and every year, and surprisingly the youngsters never get played. They are exactly where they should be. In the ressies. Deano and Lewi are still youngsters, its what people constantly forget, and they are next in line.

Eaves isn't as quick as smalley or parker we need someone who can get in behind.

IF parker could finish he would have about 12 goals this season ive never seen a player who makes so many good runs and gets so many one and ones but doesn't know how to finish them.

Start Smalley up top and see what happens

Eaves isn't as quick as smalley or parker we need someone who can get in behind.

IF parker could finish he would have about 12 goals this season ive never seen a player who makes so many good runs and gets so many one and ones but doesn't know how to finish them.

Start Smalley up top and see what happens

Eaves is lightning quick. One of the fastest in a straight line in the team.

But as others have said he's just a kid (which is why he can look slow, as the big centre halves just out muscle him), and like Brooke he's not ready to carry this team - which is what would be asked of him should he step in at this time.

He's getting just what he needs. Playing youth football, with Reserve games as and when they come up and slowly stepping up to train with the first team.

At the start of this season Eaves only trained with the First team once or twice a month - now people are asking him to step up and score goals in a side that can't score goals - frankly its ridiculous.

I honestly think Eaves (as well as McGrath) has the potential to go a very long way in this game. He's got the touch of Pav coupled the pace he lacks and he sure as hell knows where the net is. But he's not even on a Pro contract yet - lets get things into perspective!