If DP was to pick Brooke to play alongside Abbott tomorrow..

Just a thought - the 'rarely wrong' reckons that Smalley will be pushed up alongside Pawel with Colbeck coming in on the right - but what if DP was to pick Brooke to start and keep Smalley out wide?

Bold - foolish - just not going to happen? :huh:

Edited by TheBigDog

I don't think he's ready for the responsibility of keeping this side up.

He's young, has good potential and will do well next year with a few runs in the team.

But to ask him to be the goalscorer in a team that has failed epically to score all year, when the chips really are down, is too much too soon.

Well when all other options have been tried and failed why not, it's better than back to something we've seen before which hasn't worked out !

Why not?

Because the risk is not the contribution he makes to the team - like you say, other things have not worked.

The risk is you take a promising young player who has only just started to break into the first team and put the weight of the entire club on his shoulders. Under that level of pressure he crumbles and becomes half the player he could have been.

Ryan Brooke has talent and potential. He does not have the ability to carry this team to safety.

Why not?

Because the risk is not the contribution he makes to the team - like you say, other things have not worked.

The risk is you take a promising young player who has only just started to break into the first team and put the weight of the entire club on his shoulders. Under that level of pressure he crumbles and becomes half the player he could have been.

Ryan Brooke has talent and potential. He does not have the ability to carry this team to safety.

sink or swim comes to mind though ,

Nah mate.

If we were sat in mid table with nothing to play for - or even chasing a playoff spot - I'd agree that throwing him in was the thing to do, he's just about at that stage of his career/development.

But to ask a 19 year old who's missed a year of his development (no ressies last year don't forget) to step into a side which has scored just 27 times in 33 league games and save a side which is still desperate for goals to avoid relegation is too much.

Perhaps one or two games and some runs from the bench. But to basically sit him down and say "from now until the end of the year you have to score or we go down" is too much to ask of him.

While I agree with that sentiment, I would rather see Penney stick Alessandra up front, because their game will suffer as a result of the barracking they get once they fail to score a hat-trick...or miss a 'sitter' etc., etc.

Where is Alessandra anyway?

I still haven't gotten over Brooke's 'performance' against Yeovil.

I'd prefer to see Eaves thrown in..

He did seem a little lost but with some time out he came back and scored against Colchester. Still learning the game. It's about time we had a decent striker or two come through the ranks.

------------------Brill----------------

Lee--------Rubes------Gregan-----Jacobsen (Or Steer!)

--------Furman---Stephens-----Whitaker----------

Smalley------------Abbott-------------------Taylor

We have 3 natural wingers and a load of central midfielders, we should utilise them.

Edited by Bring Back Ronnie Moore

We have 3 natural wingers and a load of central midfielders, we should utilise them.

Quite like the look of that formation. :wink:

:blush:

Nah mate.

If we were sat in mid table with nothing to play for - or even chasing a playoff spot - I'd agree that throwing him in was the thing to do, he's just about at that stage of his career/development.

But to ask a 19 year old who's missed a year of his development (no ressies last year don't forget) to step into a side which has scored just 27 times in 33 league games and save a side which is still desperate for goals to avoid relegation is too much.

Perhaps one or two games and some runs from the bench. But to basically sit him down and say "from now until the end of the year you have to score or we go down" is too much to ask of him.

thats what I meant , I replied to that comment meaning what he was proposing is sink or swim, I wouldnt throw him in personally :blush:

Nice idea, but when we have tried 433 this season it has always ended up as 451 with little focus on attack. I fear that without the replacement striker the emphasis will once more be upon not getting beat, and hopefully nicking a goal. When Nardiello left the field off on Tuesday so did any attacking intent.

He's right, however with a few more 1st team starts next season, maybe one for next season/ season after.

I think so, same with Tom Eaves as well. Looks like we could have two good strikers in the future

Cometh the man cometh the hour, Eaves doesn't lack confidence in his undoubted ability.

Also, his height advantage means he would be a major threat in taking advange of Stephens excellent corner kicks.

The very fleeting appearances of Eaves this season has indicated he is a million miles away from first team football. As has been said above, not the time to put him and Brookey into the firing line. Not saying either of them wont make it, however neither are going to get us out of this mess at the moment.

Smalley and Colbeck will do just fine. Joe C had a field day against them away, if he does that agin it will be happy days...

The very fleeting appearances of Eaves this season has indicated he is a million miles away from first team football. As has been said above, not the time to put him and Brookey into the firing line. Not saying either of them wont make it, however neither are going to get us out of this mess at the moment.

Smalley and Colbeck will do just fine. Joe C had a field day against them away, if he does that agin it will be happy days...

Until Wycombe go down to ten men, he gets hauled off and we go all defensive again. :grin:

Seriously, Nardiello or not, Penney has to ensure that they go all out to win this. If we keep the attempts on goal to the same level, then surely we will be too much for Wycombe...the loss of Nardiello should not be allowed to become an excuse.

Nice idea, but when we have tried 433 this season it has always ended up as 451 with little focus on attack. I fear that without the replacement striker the emphasis will once more be upon not getting beat, and hopefully nicking a goal. When Nardiello left the field off on Tuesday so did any attacking intent.

That is a good point. 4-3-3 far too often becomes 4-5-1 and has little attacking threat.

Think it was big Joe who said Brooke was the most natural finisher at the club. He may well be; but he needs to improve on all the other elements of forward play before he 'makes it'. I've seen both Eaves and Brooke play together in the Youth and Reserves; and it has always been Tom Eaves who has impressed out of the 2 of them. He reminds me of Porter alot (not the leaving for Scotlandfor nought bit) and I see alot of talent & potential in him. Brooke; Jury is still well & truly out on him as far as i'm concerned. He could be a gem in a season or 2; or he could quite easily go the way of the likes of Matty Barlow et all.

Neither of them IMO should be starting in this crucial period for us - with what he has at his disposal; DP has to surely go with Smalley up top with Colbeck on the right.

I'd hold off from going with Eaves - he is too young - but I'd look at going with Brooke next week depending on where Nardiello and Parker are up to. I agree with Ackey's point, but there may be a happy medium whereby we let him have a couple of games without the pressure of people breathing over his shoulder and safe in the knowledge that there are more established professionals on the way back to fitness for the crunch at the end of the year.

That said though, I am not sure that the strikers have been the whole problem this year. I'd put an awful lot of blame on how deep the midfield play, and if they start getting beyond Abbott with regularity then we will see more goals - just like Tuesday.

Oh, and as Smalley seemed to be coming to terms with his role on Tuesday I'd be sure to start him on the wing at the weekend - more of the same from that young man please.