Brighton Post Game Thread

You lot can't depress me tonight, I'm off to see the Stranglers. Dave Penney out of my head for a night, and with any luck, I will wake up from my drunken stupor sometime tomorrow we'll be rid. ByeBye Dave.

What ever happened to..... Dave Penney? He had tactics that made our eyes burn :grin:

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Signed crap, no settled team all season due to this bunch of wasters not being good enough. No settled team= no understanding. Add this to Penneys negative boring tactics, and this has led to dross we have had served up this season and fans leaving in their droves.

I fail to see where our next win will come from.

What an absolutely shocking season.

Signed crap, no settled team all season due to this bunch of wasters not being good enough. No settled team= no understanding. Add this to Penneys negative boring tactics, and this has led to dross we have had served up this season and fans leaving in their droves.

98/99 was the worst season I can remember and that includes two relegation years....until this season. No goals, no excitement, no high-scoring games, no come-backs, no spectacular goals, no wonder saves, no flowing football, no oooohhhhhhhhh, no :censored: all!

But you can't knock Dave. He's won two promotions didn't you know......neither being out of this division. He wasn't good enough....by his own admission.

Brighton were a decent side today. Their first was a cracker! Would have liked to see Lee be closer to him when their lad got the ball but once he had that much space he did a lot with it and scored a belter. Not sure I understand what happened for their second, will need to see it again. Abbott didn't have a good game, seems to be running through treacle half the time and drops too deep. The penalty miss was bad, unlucky by Eaves that his rebound didn't bounce into the goal.

98/99 was the worst season I can remember and that includes two relegation years....until this season. No goals, no excitement, no high-scoring games, no come-backs, no spectacular goals, no wonder saves, no flowing football, no oooohhhhhhhhh, no :censored: all!

Aye I'm the same, I expected this season to be a struggle. Said it on holiday when my mates were getting the texts through of who we had signed. Awful signings seeing them play they're actually worse and added to the managers tactics it has been a season worse than expected.

98/99 was bad, but I still enjoyed going! I havent been this season since Tranmere away, and worryingly I havent missed it.

That team is in serious danger of going down.

Too many useless players,no heart,no drive no nothing.

Its not all penneys fault,the dimwits wearing the shirt have to stand up.

Does anyone but the fans actually care?im not sure yo uknow.

ps taylor,the kid is embarrassing,never seen such a pansy in my entire life.

Disappointing today. Not the sort of performance you expect to see from a team battling relegation.

We played OK for most of the first half, particularly the first 15 to 20min. Nowt special, but kept the ball well and looked busy. They scored a stunner (although he had far too much space) and that was that - we looked very poor from then on. Their keeper did make a few very good saves, but we just didn't press and create enough as usual.

Interesting to see in the RRE that the muppets chanting the 'get out of our club' :censored:e after 20 mins, when we weren't actually doing too badly, got roundly booed and drowned out with positive chanting by those wanting to get behind the 11 on the pitch. The vast majority in the RRE today actually seemed to want to get behind the 11 in blue and abstain from the Penney outing....however, after a painful second half it couldn't last and the majority of the fans sat in silence and frustration whilst the muppet choir and a smattering of others found their voices again. Nobody had the stomach to drown them out and cheer on the lads by then.

Brighton were a decent side today. Their first was a cracker! Would have liked to see Lee be closer to him when their lad got the ball but once he had that much space he did a lot with it and scored a belter. Not sure I understand what happened for their second, will need to see it again. Abbott didn't have a good game, seems to be running through treacle half the time and drops too deep. The penalty miss was bad, unlucky by Eaves that his rebound didn't bounce into the goal.

Keeper saved that too. Unbelievable stop.

Was Lee really garbage? A few poor crosses near the end, but generally he was fine and also put ina great ball that Abbott nearly scored from just before half time. We were also infinitely better when he was moved into centre midfield (where he should be playing every week).

The most embarrassing thing today was listening to our 'fans'. The first half performance was ok and in reality we should ahve been ahead, but that's how thing s have gone this season. Second half we were poor, but it amazes me how fast people will turn on the players. How about if we've played half decent in the 1st ahlf and then come out slow in the second, why don't we get behind them and try and get them going again?

I had two morons behind me who for the entire first half wouldn't stop making ridiculous quips about how if Brillhad been in nets we'd have been 3 down and Flav was a big improvement, then after the second goal suddenly i'm hearing things like 'send him back to Palace' and 'Brill might mistakes but at least he pulls of some decent saves', from teh same people. I wish this sort of thing was just from a minority of our fans as well, but it isn't. Abbott played poorly today but has generally been fairly consistent as one of our better players all season long and yet he was booed repeatedly in the second half by the vast majority of the 'I' block. Then we get a penalty, 'nana nana nana nana na na na na etc' from the same :censored:ing people who have been booing him all game. Then he misses the penalty, hit at a decent height for the keeper but in a corner and well struck and suddenly he's a useless c*** who should f*** off back to wherever again. Make up your minds you absolute retards, it shocks and appalls me that so many of our fans seem unable to actually have their own opinions and just blindly follow the chav brigade we seem to have acquired.

Anyway, back to the game, Gregan was yet again rock solid and provided probably the most entertaining part of the game by knocking their soft arse striker head first into the net. The man is a genius. Ruben, decent enough, but I find all our problems come from our midfield. We don't have enough width and we don't look to make runs through the centre to overload the defence. That's been a problem all season, something that :censored: had to some extent helped to solve earlier in the season until he slept with DP's wife or something (there must be some half decent reason he's dropped at every oppotunity). Taylor isn't looking to get behind the defence on the left in the slightest, meaning when we attack we look slow and have few options if any. He asks for it to feet over and over again with his back to goal and then turns inside running into the crowded centre of the field. There was one particularly shocking instance in the second half when the ball broke in the centre for Guy by him closing down the defence. At this point Taylor should have spun and got himself down the wing and given Guy an attacking option, instead he moved inside towards him and asked for a 5 yard pass to feet once again slowing everything down. Now, i'm all for short passing to feet, but there has to be some purpose, someone forcing the issue but it just isn't happening at all and that's why we look so flat. There's no point in playing Furman and Worthington in midfield together (at leats at home anyway). Furman, although more adventurous than Worthy is not the player we thought he was going to be, he tackles well he passes ok, but most of the time it's purely ball retention rather than anything that will hurt the opposition. Worthy is a good battler nothing more, like Allott but less talented on the ball in my opinion. Get Lee in there and see what happens, we don't need 2 players battling in there and it isn't like KL is scared of tackling either. He's not particularly strong but he isn't scared of putting a foot on and he will most certainly offer us something different. He's wasted at full back.

Final positive from today, Tom Eaves, looks like he could turn out to be a class act and unlucky not to score.

well said i agree with all that

Furman and Holdsworth camped barely yards in front of our centre halves all game, Taylor totally anonymous doing his best to avoid play, Whitts Whitts, Smalley not wanting to be there, leaving Guy and Abbott alone with no one within 30 yards of them...

Is there any wonder we're a team full of jaffas?

E4e

NTARD

Furman and Holdsworth camped barely yards in front of our centre halves all game, Taylor totally anonymous doing his best to avoid play, Whitts Whitts, Smalley not wanting to be there, leaving Guy and Abbott alone with no one within 30 yards of them...

Is there any wonder we're a team full of jaffas?

E4e

NTARD

???????

As for the rest. You cant defend the indefensible.

We started well and in the first 10/15 minutes were the better team, Abbott missed a really good headed chance which in honesty should have done much better with (i.e at least have got it on target).

The longer the game went on though Brighton became more dominant which ended with them taking the lead through an exceptional strike.

Second half we just never turned up and allowed Brighton to dominate us all over the pitch, their second goal was an absolute comedy of errors started with a shocking back pass which I thought we had got away with until Black was easily dispossesed and Worthington turned the resulting cross into his own net under considerable pressure.

We were then thrown a lifeline when given a penalty, but quite frankly if you can't take advantage of penalties awarded to you then you deserve to lose (not Abbott's first penalty miss this season either). If he had scored it could have set up a grandstand finish.

Second half we were comprehensively outplayed all over the field and over the whole 90 minutes I felt we were well beaten by a better team, who were better organised and wanted it far more than us.

Simon Corney left with a face like thunder with at least 20 minutes still to play, I know how he feels.

We had a very bad day at the office today, in a season were we can barely remember having a good day, MK Franchise is the only one that springs readily to mind.

Brighton played football well and they have a manager who knew what he was doing- the bloke that scored that cracker for them started on their right and was switched very early on. But you can see why they are in a similar position to us as their defence looked very shaky.

Quite a few things- apparently Corney left, or perhaps more accurately stopped watching from the stands, with 20 minutes to go and was on the phone and the rumour was he was chatting to the other two owners about what to do.

Our best player today was Lewis Guy he did more in one half than Parker did in a few games. He was also the only one trying to put pressure on the keeper who was struggling to kick it beyond the half way line due to the wind- why this wasn't picked up on I do NOT know.

Their second had a bit of handball about it (didn't see it from my side of the Chaddy but the other side was up in arms). However, if Flahavan had done his job and not given a really bad pass to Reuben it would never have happened.

Gregan had his worse game for ages today but was still one of our best players, although he was perhaps lucky not to get sent-off in the first 5 minutes. Reuben was poor defensively but looked good going forward. Lee was poor but he wasn't helped by having a central midfielder playing in front of him out wide. Worthy was good at spoiling but offered very little going forward- him and Furman can't play together for me.- and got himself booked again. Eaves again looked useful once coming on- but he came on about 10-15 minutes too late and got a stupid booking. If Taylor mixed up his play a bit and stayed out wide more he'd be much better he got involved too much in the middle today and since his first touch is bad it stopped a few nice moves from progessing as they should have. I was a bit surprised Millar didn't come on, as although he showed promised, he was certainly NOT a different class, last week but he'd have offered us summat different.

A word about the fans- the Chaddy seemed quite quiet today and only got noisy to slag off Penney- which promted a few people to show some support. Slagging a manager off for having his hand in his pockets is a new one for me- must have been a teacher :grin: Someone I know who posts on here and his mate were very vocal in the Penney out chants I would have been more impressed gents if you had cheered for him early on which considering you normally give a decent level of support tells me something. Oh and whilst I entirely agree if you've paid your money you can slag the manager off when people have a go at you for doing so (as they don't see it being constructive) do NOT offer them outside- it made you look immature in my eyes (I did find it funny though). Plus for once can we create an original song instead of knicking it from United- Yes he may be from Yorkshire, I doubt he's a bastard and YOU may want him out of the club but be original it makes us look amateurish.

Was Lee really garbage? A few poor crosses near the end, but generally he was fine and also put ina great ball that Abbott nearly scored from just before half time. We were also infinitely better when he was moved into centre midfield (where he should be playing every week).

Yep, he really was garbage. The amount of space he was giving their winger in the first half had to be seen to be believed. Maybe he thought he was playing centre back ? Far too easily beaten on numerous occasions, garbage is a fair description. As for him playing in centre midfield, why not ? Poorest midfield I've ever witnessed at BP.

Our best player today was Lewis Guy he did more in one half than Parker did in a few games. He was also the only one trying to put pressure on the keeper who was struggling to kick it beyond the half way line due to the wind- why this wasn't picked up on I do NOT know.

Their second had a bit of handball about it (didn't see it from my side of the Chaddy but the other side was up in arms). However, if Flahavan had done his job and not given a really bad pass to Reuben it would never have happened.

That, partly, was one of my biggest gripes today.

Guy was excellent IMO, but the amount of times he ran past Abbott to close down the defence/keeper was ridiculous. I genuinely would start Eaves over Abbott at the moment, and that is not because of the missed pen today. That is perhaps the one thing I wont criticise him for. At least he stepped up to take it.

Since his return from injury, he has looked a shadow of the player he was in August-Oct. He now looks lazy, disinterested. Huffing and puffing and throwing his arms about when things aren't going his way. Grow some bollocks and get f*****g stuck in Abbott.

Brightons players are simply better. They created bags of space for themselves and passed us to death, whereas Latics were static without the ball, had no one to pass to when on it and reduced to the hoof. Whittaker needs to follow Parker, oh and Scotty boy oh knowledgable one ya mate Taylor was utter gash again today and needs that spell in a factory, Blacks not a division 3 player. Furman needs league 2 again, Hazell is showing signs of his age, Smalley as gone backwards.

Is it all Penney's fault? not to sure, but what I am sure about, this bunch of players are simply not good enough.