Mark Halsey reffing today's game.

Yes, the cancer-beating super-ref himself!

So, ovation and possibly even a song for him pre-game, and then mercilessly boo the 1st deision he gives the other way? :D

Yes. Even if it's the coin toss. :wink:

His wife's been treated for leukaemia as well, so after the year he's had he could be forgiven for wanting to do something less stressful with his Saturday afternoons. Good on him for returning to, let's face it, an often thankless job.

Best reffing performance at BP for many a year.

Well done Mark.

E4e

GDJOB

have to agree,used his discretion superbly,calmed it all down and let the teams play,thought there was probably a few more cards to be shown for a couple of challenges,but fair play to him..

i especially enjoyed his banter with leevsypunk...was funny

have to agree,used his discretion superbly,calmed it all down and let the teams play,thought there was probably a few more cards to be shown for a couple of challenges,but fair play to him..

i especially enjoyed his banter with leevsypunk...was funny

Mark clearly enjoyed himself. Good luck to him

I liked the way he explained his decisions every time they were questioned, however, how their centre half didn't get at least a booking when he pulled Guy back and he was the last man I do not know. He was however, much better than the usual dross we normally get and it did look like he enjoyed himself and it was the first time I ever recall a ref getting a round of applause from the entire stadium and that was a good touch.

I liked the way he explained his decisions every time they were questioned, however, how their centre half didn't get at least a booking when he pulled Guy back and he was the last man I do not know. He was however, much better than the usual dross we normally get and it did look like he enjoyed himself and it was the first time I ever recall a ref getting a round of applause from the entire stadium and that was a good touch.

Nice to see that fellow 'tics still have a degree of quality in them.

Anyone remember Rodger Millford? He was always a popular ref a BP. A bit of a lucky charm for us in the good old days! :grin:

Anyone remember Rodger Millford? He was always a popular ref a BP. A bit of a lucky charm for us in the good old days! :grin:

Oooh Roger Millford! Remember an assist in the fog for Nick Henry v Chelski. Ahhhh them were the days...

E4e

HAPPY

Best reffing performance at BP for many a year.

Well done Mark.

E4e

GDJOB

Did like the way he was answerin the crowd when questioned about the pen and red card. Both blatantly and correctly denied. Hats off Halsey, cracking job well done

Did like the way he was answerin the crowd when questioned about the pen and red card. Both blatantly and correctly denied. Hats off Halsey, cracking job well done

All agreed out lads and lasses. Superb refereeing performance today. Credit to the BP crowd with the welcome................. you wouldnt get that many places............ seriously......................

In the old days the top refs moved between the divisions. Now they are hijacked by the Premier league and everybody else gets the tossers...exception

with Halsey because he is working his way back into it. Best of luck to the bloke hope he has cracked his illness.

Milford was a good one. Who was the copper who used to send Ian Wood off every time he reffed us ? Big guy with a bald head

In the old days the top refs moved between the divisions. Now they are hijacked by the Premier league and everybody else gets the tossers...exception

with Halsey because he is working his way back into it. Best of luck to the bloke hope he has cracked his illness.

Milford was a good one. Who was the copper who used to send Ian Wood off every time he reffed us ? Big guy with a bald head

Bloody hell Fanakpan you are going back a bit there. My grandad once stopped a game by getting into the away dugout in the 70's against Leicester for their Physio having a go at "our kid" ........... The ref Pat Partridge stopped the game to intervene :lol:

In the old days the top refs moved between the divisions.

Halsey has been a quality referee for a number of years. He is involved in very few controverial decisions. The last major 1 I remember was when he sent Sol Campbell off for Arsenal against manure for an alleged elbow.

Your quite right about the movement of refs between the divisions. I have never been convinced that professional refs was the way to go, but must say that you can clearly tell the difference when we now have one of the top boys. Even Uriah Renney appeared to immprove once he went full time.

Credit to Halsey today. From the CRE you could hear him in the first half talking to the players at corners. None of this nonsense of blowing the whistle, stopping the game, ticking a couple of players off, saying now now don't be naughty boys rubbish. The players knew he had his eye on things.

More of this standard from the men in black/green/pink (or is that salmon) please.

Congratulations to Halsey for winning his battle with cancer.

I do I've his autograph somewhere as he was the ref when I was mascot against Spurs he used a smilie face in the middle- he gave me the 50p they used at the coin toss too. Plus he was from my Dad's home town. Don't recall if he was any good or not but I'd think so.

A rare display of a referee showing common sense and letting the game flow. Whatever drugs he's been on, they should pump them into all the other League refs....

Liked Jack Dearden's comments about him in the programme. Keeping a clean sheet against a Coronation Street Allstars team? Class act. :grin:

Who was the copper who used to send Ian Wood off every time he reffed us ? Big guy with a bald head

Peter Willis?

The one who sent off Kevin Moran in the 1985 FA Cup final?

You've gotta love Wiki .... "However, he arguably shafted Stockport County at Old Trafford in 1978. Two ridiculously obscure decisions gifted Manchester United first a free kick and then a penalty that saw them come from 2-1 down to win 3-2 in a League Cup tie." pmsl!

Edited by opinions4u

Oooh Roger Millford! Remember an assist in the fog for Nick Henry v Chelski. Ahhhh them were the days...

E4e

HAPPY

Yeah I remember that too. Always seemed to give us the benefit in 50/50 decisions and we seemed to win when he reffed us.

Used to like George Courtney, Keith Hackett and Neil Midgeley - took no grief off anyone those three. Proper old school refs! And despite him being a bit of a tosser I used to like David Elleray, took no :censored: off anyone and sent Roy Keane off countless times! :D

Always had a soft spot for Roger Milford after the injury time at The Dell and 'Arsegate' v Chelsea.

Oh and an old Uni buddy is dating Beelzebub himself's daughter - none other than Phil Joslin's daughter - him of the retaken penalty v Reading!

Edited by oafcprozac

Used to like George Courtney, Keith Hackett and Neil Midgeley - took no grief off anyone those three. Proper old school refs! And despite him being a bit of a tosser I used to like David Elleray, took no :censored: off anyone and sent Roy Keane off countless times! :D

Always had a soft spot for Roger Milford after the injury time at The Dell and 'Arsegate' v Chelsea.

Oh and an old Uni buddy is dating Beelzebub himself's daughter - none other than Phil Joslin's daughter - him of the retaken penalty v Reading!

Hope he does her up the arse, I hate that prick!

Halsey yesterday was excellent.

Halsey has been a quality referee for a number of years. He is involved in very few controverial decisions. The last major 1 I remember was when he sent Sol Campbell off for Arsenal against manure for an alleged elbow.

And IIRC he consulted the linesman and he asked him 'was it deliberate?' - the linesman said yes, and he was sent off. So perhaps not really his mistake that time either?

Brilliant ref performance yesterday - makes you realise the gulf in ability between what we normally get.

Here's an awesome article on The Independant about Halsey, the moment he beat cancer and his return to football. It's a very inspirational read, especially given his missus suffered/suffers from Leukemia too.

Halsey making cancer his bitch.

Especially like how Clattenburg (Yeah, I know. Cock of the lowest order) cheered him on in his fitness test.