el classico

looking foward to a classic win for barcalona tonight — Real Madrid's Brazilian midfielder Kaka and Barcelona's Swedish striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic have been ruled out of Saturday's 'El Classico' showdown between the two Spanish giants.

Kaka is still suffering from a left thigh strain, according to Real Madrid.

Ibrahimovic has not recovered from a right leg problem he picked up during the warm-up to last weekend's tie against Athletic Bilbao, his team said.

Real and Barcelona are both top of La Liga with 77 points.

:dance::drinking45::sick:

another sweet moment..where was this christina fella?

Barca won at a canter - Ronaldo was woeful, as I've said before scoring wonder goals against the arse end of the Prem is one thing but when it really matters in the big, big games against real quality both for club and country he is shown up for what he is - a one trick show pony. Messi on the other hand does it time after time on the big stage BUT he needs an outstanding World Cup to truly deserve the best player accolade. Maradona won the World Cup on his own in '86 and almost did it again in '90. Messi needs a similar level of influence in South Africa.

Barca won at a canter - Ronaldo was woeful, as I've said before scoring wonder goals against the arse end of the Prem is one thing but when it really matters in the big, big games against real quality both for club and country he is shown up for what he is - a one trick show pony. Messi on the other hand does it time after time on the big stage BUT he needs an outstanding World Cup to truly deserve the best player accolade. Maradona won the World Cup on his own in '86 and almost did it again in '90. Messi needs a similar level of influence in South Africa.

He did do it in big games for United. Unfortunately for him though, whilst he is the second best player in the world, the first best player is streets ahead. Leo Messi is simply amazing, and he keeps getting better. He needs to do it at the World Cup to end up ranking alongside Maradonna, but he doesn't necessarily have to do it in South Africa. He is only 22, so you could easily be looking at two, if not three, more world cups after this one.

Also.... Xavi. Wow. Best midfielder on the planet, he is phenomenal.

I willingly admit that Messi is by far the best player in the world right now. But to call Ronaldo a "one trick pony" is a bit much.

He's scored 18 in 22 this season... still far beyond the "1-in-2" that most agree is the benchmark for a top-class striker!

Ronaldo is a bit of a big-game choker. Remember his non-performance in Rome in the CL final last year. Plus he wasn't excatly outstanding in the CL final the year before- he missed a pen remember and he's had a few non-performances in big international games IIRC. Personally he's what in cricket terms is a flat-track bully he does very well against the mediocre but doesn't always turn up in the big games. At the moment he wouldn't get into my world XI, Rooney is far the better player at the mo (when fit) and I think Torres and Villa will show their value at the WC too. I would agree that Xavi is awesome at the mo- the fact that the someone the calibre of Arteta doesn't even get a look in for the Spanish squad shows just how good that midfield is.

He did do it in big games for United. Unfortunately for him though, whilst he is the second best player in the world, the first best player is streets ahead. Leo Messi is simply amazing, http://www.owtb.co.uk/style_images/owtb09/...rte-bold.pngand he keeps getting better. He needs to do it at the World Cup to end up ranking alongside Maradonna, but he doesn't necessarily have to do it in South Africa. He is only 22, so you could easily be looking at two, if not three, more world cups after this one.

Also.... Xavi. Wow. Best midfielder on the planet, he is phenomenal.

Disagree, would love to see his goals to games ratio in the big, big games v the Top 4 and in Cup Finals/Semi-Finals/Knock out phase of the Chumps League (bum teams apart). It won't be as good as many think. (I bet a fair few of his goals are pens too) I remember him scoring a few v Arsenal, but how many times did he score at Anfield or Stamford Bridge? He had the space to do real damage last night but just wasn't good enough. Messi on the other hand is Houdini like at getting out of tight spots and how the hell that wasn't a pen in the first half I'll never know. I disagree that Skippy is the second best player in the world - for me Torres will prove just how good he is this summer (as he did in Euro '08) and i'm sure there's a couple of Brazilian's out there that we haven't heard of yet! And maybe one or two other Argies that are off the radar at the moment. Ronaldo has played in a World Cup and two Euros since bursting onto the scene and he's done little in all three tournaments. (Except get the over-rated Rooney sent-off (but he is the best we have)

I find it frustrating that players that tear the arse out of a mediocre Premier League are instantly labelled 'World Class', Spain is a tougher league as Henry (another one labelled the best in the World a few years ago) , Ronaldo etc.. have found out. And another reason why England will fail abysmally in South Africa. The whole lot is over hyped and over packaged. 15 years ago it was probably the most exciting league in the world but not it is sterile and frankly boring with the cream of the crop still plying their trade (on the most part) in Spain and Italy. The Prem has never been the best league in the world but that's just my humble opinion.

I willingly admit that Messi is by far the best player in the world right now. But to call Ronaldo a "one trick pony" is a bit much.

He's scored 18 in 22 this season... still far beyond the "1-in-2" that most agree is the benchmark for a top-class striker!

I'd score double figures in that team Ackey - look who are supplying the bullets!

Messi is head and shoulders the best player in the world right now....I think in a couple of seasons he'll be considered the best of our era, surpassing Ronaldo.

I'd say Rooney is number 2 as well, I'd consider him a better player than C. Ronaldo, considering Rooney's overall team play and influence which Ronaldo is lacking for a player claiming to be the "world's best". Man Utd are lost without Rooney and I reckon England are too.

Edited by Bring Back Ronnie Moore

I'd score double figures in that team Ackey - look who are supplying the bullets!

That's such a clichéd response mate, come on.

I'm more than happy to admit that Messi, Rooney and Xavi are all better players than Ronaldo at the moment. And that at times in big games he goes missing.

But that, for me, doesn't move him out of the top 5/6 players in the world. There's things he can do that no other player can and he's consistently scoring goals. Another tired cliché - but - you can only beat what they put in front of you. He's playing the same team's as Messi who has 27 goals in 28 games... that's not a million miles apart is it? And many are talking about Messi being the games greatest ever player...

Others have named players like Torres as being up there. Undoubtedly a talented player - but is he not "scoring wonder goals against the arse end of the Prem" too then? Only less prolifically and with less influence to the overall chase for the title?

Last season Ronaldo bagged against Inter and a wonder strike against Porto in the knockout stages, and also got a double at the Emirates in the Semi. Season before in the knockout stages he scored against Lyon, Roma and in the Final. Also scoring in the prem in two games against Arsenal and against Liverpool. The season before that he bagged against Roma and Milan in the knockout stages of the CL, and also scored the winner in the Manchester derby, in a game that basically sealed the title (ie, a big game). So I guess you're right, he doesn't do it in the big games.

where does iniesta fit into this..?

my favourite current barca player ...genius.

him and xavi together are dreamlike.

My top 5 players in the world based on ability:

1. Messi

2. Ronaldo

3. Xavi

4. Iniesta

5. Rooney

I change my mind on Xavi and Iniesta quite regularly, and Rooney gets in that 5 on this seasons form, but no higher becasue you have to do it consistently for a few years (like the other 4).

If I had them in order of how much I actually like them, then Ronaldo would be so far down the list, and Rooney would be nowehre near either (Red b*****s). Messi 1, Iniesta 2, Xavi 3. I also really like Wesley Sneijder, the guy is class.

Ronaldo is a bit of a big-game choker. Remember his non-performance in Rome in the CL final last year. Plus he wasn't excatly outstanding in the CL final the year before- he missed a pen remember and he's had a few non-performances in big international games IIRC.

Was this the match where he scored United's goal?

Edited by jsslatic

I agree.

Jeez some people talk garbage on here.

I agree.

Jeez some people talk garbage on here.

I watched Real v Valencia last night,

Ronaldo was outstanding scored one and could have had so much more if it wasnt for Cesar in goal,

Also seeing Marcelo at left back made me realise we have no chance in the WC lol that left back has more skill than most of the England attackers :lol:

he seems to be nowhere near messi to me, too many times hes willing to go down under pressure than show what hes made of, messi will keep going even if you were throwing knives at his legs, granted when he goes down he knows how to play it up,

christiano gets within a metre of the box and you know what hes looking for, its not the space to pull of something, its "how do i go down here to get myself a free kick!"

to retain player of the year he really needs to show his skill rather than his dancing and falling