iPhone 4G

Ackey

Someone's getting their ass kicked... they lost their test release version of the fourth generation iPhone!!

Gizmodo was on hand to give us a run down and make me exceptionally happy, as it will arrive just as I'm due for an upgrade to my 3G!!

More here, for the geeks.

I've been holding off since I first heard about the 4th Gen before xmas. Not too happy about the recent upgrade which makes it just a platform for adverts though.

That was inevitable. As Google have shown consistently over the last decade if you can manage you advertising infrastructure effectively then you can make a sickening amount of money, no matter what platform you're working on.

As for the iPhone 4.0 software on the whole, I don't mind so much - I'm just pissed they are not releasing it for the 3G - I guess that's to force us 3G'ers to move over to the 4th gen hardware in the summer - something I would have done no matter what.

Only frustration for me is that I know it's coming now and I want one already!!

That presumes it was an accident :wink:

:lol:

Of all the devious stuff Apple get up to one of the things they hate with a passion is a leak.

The confidentiality contracts Apple have allow them to kill your first born for a leak. Fact. (not a fact.)

:lol:

Of all the devious stuff Apple get up to one of the things they hate with a passion is a leak.

The confidentiality contracts Apple have allow them to kill your first born for a leak. Fact. (not a fact.)

:) Sorry, don't buy it :)

I would be surprised if it was an accident and not done on purpose :)

Nowt wrong with some hearty scepticism mate. But honestly, with Apple I don't think it's a deliberate leak.

If it was it'd be massively unprecedented... there's never been a leak even close to this extent from them in the past. They are notorious for their stringent security.

I agree, there's far too many ways this could have been stopped for this to be entirely an accident. For example if they hate leaks that much I wouldn't let anyone outside the specific location they make it nevermind the actual building that location is in. Then it gets randomly left in a pub and some geek website gets a hold of it (admittedly that is probably due to the fact they have a reason to be in the pub). This strikes me as a very good way to get a whole bunch of free advertising.

I agree, there's far too many ways this could have been stopped for this to be entirely an accident. For example if they hate leaks that much I wouldn't let anyone outside the specific location they make it nevermind the actual building that location is in. Then it gets randomly left in a pub and some geek website gets a hold of it (admittedly that is probably due to the fact they have a reason to be in the pub). This strikes me as a very good way to get a whole bunch of free advertising.

Evidence to the contrary:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/04...sa_lawsuit.html

Someone's getting their ass kicked... they lost their test release version of the fourth generation iPhone!!

Gizmodo was on hand to give us a run down and make me exceptionally happy, as it will arrive just as I'm due for an upgrade to my 3G!!

More here, for the geeks.

I'm due for my upgrade now.... give it to me! GIVE IT TO ME NOW!

:blush:

When is it released?

I'm due for my upgrade now.... give it to me! GIVE IT TO ME NOW!

:blush:

When is it released?

Assuming it will be following the usual pattern for these things then I'd expect early summer. I certainly wouldn't be looking to take on a 3GS at this stage - but then I'd have said the same prior to this leak as the 4th Gen has been on the cards for a summer release for quite a while now, presumed to be ready for the 4G network roll outs.

Nowt wrong with some hearty scepticism mate. But honestly, with Apple I don't think it's a deliberate leak.

If it was it'd be massively unprecedented... there's never been a leak even close to this extent from them in the past. They are notorious for their stringent security.

You are probably right after doing a bit of reading up.

So a 3 lined letter and threats of legal action is evidence, IF the geek site don't give it back (and I think they will after all its done its job now and made them some cash in the process) then lets see if apple keep it up, if it goes to court then I might believe it wasn't planned. All I was saying is far too many things have gone wrong which are easy to stop for me to believe this wasn't entirely an accident.

As Zero's points out above. If you read around or have an understanding of Apple's history on these things you'd know, or at least make an educated assumption, that this is unlikely to have been a deliberate attempt to gain a PR boost.

For example, from this case alone:

The device was 'camouflaged' to look like a 3GS

The device was 'killed' once it was reported missing to prevent access to its soft/firmware

'real world' testing is vital - hence it being 'offsite'

Apple have threatened to take legal action against Gizmodo

The device was offered to other websites who rejected it, by the person who 'found it'

It's becoming apparent the device may well have been stolen

In addition, why would Apple do this?

They rely almost entirely on early adopters to fund their business model. Geeks like BigFin and I buy the device at a high price as we are eager to own it. The capital gain from these early adopters is used to fund the secondary market, the 'upper level' phone users who are keen to have the most modern or cool item but not to the extent of being an early adopter.

This secondary market then funds the final price reductions and encourages the phone networks to reduce their tariffs and spread their customerbase thin.

That model does not rely on PR in its most early stages, people like me will want one no matter what and whilst I have looked at that and it's made me want one even more it will have no influence on my purchasing decision. It will simply dilute the impact of the 'grand opening' Apple are so fond of (see the iPad for a recent launch example).

Zero - as a 3GS user the updated software will install automatically on to you iPhone when you sync it mate. It's only the Original/3G which is missing out.

Zero - as a 3GS user the updated software will install automatically on to you iPhone when you sync it mate. It's only the Original/3G which is missing out.

Are you sure mate? Some new features will appear on the 3G, but not certain things like multi-tasking I believe. Anyway, I've another year to run on my 3G contract so given the extortianate cost for upgrading I'm not going to bother for another year. By which the 4G should have come down in price.

By the way, the new shape of iPhone, can't say I'm overkeen so far. Just seems to have lost a bit of its sleekness for me. What's the new capacity? I heard 64Gb getting bandied about somewhere, and 80Gb bandied about somewhere else.

Are you sure mate? Some new features will appear on the 3G, but not certain things like multi-tasking I believe. Anyway, I've another year to run on my 3G contract so given the extortianate cost for upgrading I'm not going to bother for another year. By which the 4G should have come down in price.

By the way, the new shape of iPhone, can't say I'm overkeen so far. Just seems to have lost a bit of its sleekness for me. What's the new capacity? I heard 64Gb getting bandied about somewhere, and 80Gb bandied about somewhere else.

The move away from the 3G/S version, with its arched back, is being reported as for two reasons. First to accommodate the improved hardware (better camera, flash, front camera, bigger battery and what not) as there's a significant amount of space lost to the angled edges. Second is to bring it into line with other Apple products such as their Laptops and iPad's which are not angled in that way.

I'm not too fused about the shape, Gizmodo seem to suggest it's actually quite comfortable to hold and use so hopefully that's the case (case, geddit?). Also once you get up into the +60GB range you're comfortably above the point at which it really matters for a phone. Anyone who has that level of content really should have invested in a secondary device really.

Oh, and the report I read said we'd get a very limited update J, which will lack the drastic and much needed improvements such as multi-tasking... but like I say I'll happily wait for the 4th Gen now, especially if the 4G network gets rolled out in the next 2 years as hoped.

The move away from the 3G/S version, with its arched back, is being reported as for two reasons. First to accommodate the improved hardware (better camera, flash, front camera, bigger battery and what not) as there's a significant amount of space lost to the angled edges. Second is to bring it into line with other Apple products such as their Laptops and iPad's which are not angled in that way.

I'm not too fused about the shape, Gizmodo seem to suggest it's actually quite comfortable to hold and use so hopefully that's the case (case, geddit?). Also once you get up into the +60GB range you're comfortably above the point at which it really matters for a phone. Anyone who has that level of content really should have invested in a secondary device really.

Oh, and the report I read said we'd get a very limited update J, which will lack the drastic and much needed improvements such as multi-tasking... but like I say I'll happily wait for the 4th Gen now, especially if the 4G network gets rolled out in the next 2 years as hoped.

Grr, stupid Firefox and OWTB not liking each other. Sadface.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

Ahh yeah, makes sense on the new shape, though I just think it looks a bit clunky. As for having a secondary device, yes but most people want an all-in-one device. Since I bought my iPhone, I've scarcely touched my old 80Gb iPod. In fact, the small 8Gb limit on my iPhone hasn't been an issue since I have plenty of streaming music and radio apps which work tip top on 3G and even EDGE. The longer I leave it to sync however means it takes an age to do so when I get round to it.

I'm not over-fussed about multi-tasking at the moment, but I am keen on the new folders options, which I believe will be available for 3G users, and will be nice to reduce my 6 or 7 pages of apps that I have currently.

I agree it would be great to get a folder option... I'm not sure we will though.

Also, the more that comes out about this 4th Gen prototype the more it seems to be suggested this is unlikely to be the finished model, but instead one of many options that will be in the test phase at this stage.

Since I bought my iPhone, I've scarcely touched my old 80Gb iPod.

Same here, and now I only have 8gb to play with I only have music I want on there, not all the crap I own. So I spend a lot less time pressing skip!

Really excited about the impending new phone. My contract ended in Jan and i'm hanging on too. Just hope it has flash support so I can use OWTB live chat when I'm at work! And SBSettings as standard because I think its indispensible now I'm jailbroke.

And I think it looks pretty cool to be honest.

Same here, and now I only have 8gb to play with I only have music I want on there, not all the crap I own. So I spend a lot less time pressing skip!

Really excited about the impending new phone. My contract ended in Jan and i'm hanging on too. Just hope it has flash support so I can use OWTB live chat when I'm at work! And SBSettings as standard because I think its indispensible now I'm jailbroke.

And I think it looks pretty cool to be honest.

Be waiting a long time for that. Jobs has painted himself in to a pretty big corner with the no-flash on ipad, can't see it getting on iphone.