Manager for next season

Who should be the manager of Oldham Athletic for the start of the 2010/11 season?  

236 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming it has to be one of these, who'd you want?

• Dave Penney
    • Andy Ritchie
    • Frankie Bunn
    • Jim Gannon
    • Sean Gregan
    • Lee Duxbury

Brooke out are you mad lads? Hes a cracking player just needs to play with Eaves and get a few chances.

Now that we are mathematically safe the partnership you have mentioned there, I would like to see them both get a run out, a good run out!

Same as it has been all season with minor blips on some of his tactical decisions, 12 months left on his contract, see it out then reassess this time next season.....Bring on on Yeovil & Charlton.

Unless something drastic happens over summer should be in the play offs next season - that's enough rope I am giving for DP to hang himself if we aren't

I think that's optimistic, although not impossible (if the solidity in the midfield can be sorted, the wide men can deliver and a strike partnership gets developed).

My note of caution is based on the fact that we haven't actually beaten anyone who is any good this season!

Edited by opinions4u

I think that's optimistic, although not impossible (if the solidity in the midfield can be sorted, the wide men can deliver and a strike partnership gets developed).

My note of caution is based on the fact that we haven't actually beaten anyone who is any good this season!

True but can you actual say you have seen a good team at all in this league. A team that has totally out played, out fought us off the pitch. I must admit I don't go to every away game but I would say the only team with a bit of class (fleeting moments that is) was Southampton at Home that I have seen

True but can you actual say you have seen a good team at all in this league. A team that has totally out played, out fought us off the pitch. I must admit I don't go to every away game but I would say the only team with a bit of class (fleeting moments that is) was Southampton at Home that I have seen

Certainly nobody sensational. We even gave Southampton a couple of their goals too, so I take the point.

I thought Leeds were very professional in beating us twice at BP and you could see why Norwich have ended up walking the league. Poyet's Brighton side had something about them.

After that, Swindon and Millwall? Nah. Not seen Charlton but I have seen Huddersfield four times and they've never impressed me.

If we could actually deliver two good halves a game perhaps we'd be knocking on the door. Thin lines to cross when a football team improves. Has DP got enough in him to get that out of the players?

DP for me now, on one condition, WE SCORE MORE THEN 2 FLAMIN GOALS IN ONE MATCH!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol: ....God yes...I thought it was on the cards yesterday until the dopplegangers came out in the second half and then I thought, it has a draw all over it...I hate being right...tut.

We haven't thrashed anyone all seasons - we are due surely....

Certainly nobody sensational. We even gave Southampton a couple of their goals too, so I take the point.

I thought Leeds were very professional in beating us twice at BP and you could see why Norwich have ended up walking the league. Poyet's Brighton side had something about them.

After that, Swindon and Millwall? Nah. Not seen Charlton but I have seen Huddersfield four times and they've never impressed me.

If we could actually deliver two good halves a game perhaps we'd be knocking on the door. Thin lines to cross when a football team improves. Has DP got enough in him to get that out of the players?

Oh Yes please....the same team in two halfs will do nicely opinions and I will take the one that started the game yesterday. Can DP do the job? Who knows but the players seem to want to play for him so we have to support don't we.......

I still want two wins from the last two games...am I being too greedy???....Hell yes I think us tics deserve it just please put some bugger on the far post as that is really grating me that we are conceeding from here.

Oh Yes please....the same team in two halfs will do nicely opinions and I will take the one that started the game yesterday. Can DP do the job? Who knows but the players seem to want to play for him so we have to support don't we.......

I still want two wins from the last two games...am I being too greedy???....Hell yes I think us tics deserve it just please put some bugger on the far post as that is really grating me that we are conceeding from here.

If charlton beat leeds next week they will still be in with a shout of auto when they play us.

If this is the case, I would expect them to fill the RRE completely and I think we could be in for a hammering

If charlton beat leeds next week they will still be in with a shout of auto when they play us.

If this is the case, I would expect them to fill the RRE completely and I think we could be in for a hammering

Is that the same type of hammering people were forcasting a couple of weeks ago before our visits to MK and Southampton?

Is that the same type of hammering people were forcasting a couple of weeks ago before our visits to MK and Southampton?

Probably Harry and the same forecasters that suggested we need to sack DP after WINNING!! 1-0 at Stockport not so long ago.

Clueless.

Edited by futchers briefs

No, as neither of them were in with a chance of automatic promotion.

And when I say hammering, I mean more so comfortable 3-4 nill victory. At the end of the day their wage budget is 7.5 mill, our is 1.6, and they may be in a situation where they desperately need three points.

Don;t want to take away anything from us as I think we have played really really well and did superbly to take points at MK and saints, but given what could be at stake I fear they could be too much for us on the day.

Really don't want to change Manager and up to the last few weeks have always thought we should give DP more time. However a couple of things have changed my mind.

First of all tactics; he won't change, next season will be equally dire, yesterday 1st half good, 2nd half tried to hang on to a 2-1 win rather than pushing on.

He has no empathy with the club or fans, got on the bus at Carlisle no post match conference for GMR,how the hell does he think the casual fan is going to hear about latics especially when it is good news. Comment that he doesn't hear the moans in the local press because he lives in Yorkshire, he is employed by OAFC and it his responsibility to engage with the local press. Why hasn't he like other managers appeared on the late football show on TV, sent Greegs instead. Martin Gray was featured on the show last week not DP.

All in all, lack of leadership,empathy, positive promotion of the club and negative tactics.

Really don't want to change Manager and up to the last few weeks have always thought we should give DP more time. However a couple of things have changed my mind.

First of all tactics; he won't change, next season will be equally dire, yesterday 1st half good, 2nd half tried to hang on to a 2-1 win rather than pushing on.

He has no empathy with the club or fans, got on the bus at Carlisle no post match conference for GMR,how the hell does he think the casual fan is going to hear about latics especially when it is good news. Comment that he doesn't hear the moans in the local press because he lives in Yorkshire, he is employed by OAFC and it his responsibility to engage with the local press. Why hasn't he like other managers appeared on the late football show on TV, sent Greegs instead. Martin Gray was featured on the show last week not DP.

All in all, lack of leadership,empathy, positive promotion of the club and negative tactics.

He's a football manager, not a politician or salesman.

He's a football manager, not a politician or salesman.

Unfortunately there is an element of both in the Manager's job description in 2010 and ok if we are playing in the Conference in front of 1,200 fans he will fit in fine, but not a league team. How many people earning in the range £80K -£100k can be devoid of the above skills and get away with it.

No, as neither of them were in with a chance of automatic promotion.

And when I say hammering, I mean more so comfortable 3-4 nill victory. At the end of the day their wage budget is 7.5 mill, our is 1.6, and they may be in a situation where they desperately need three points.

Don;t want to take away anything from us as I think we have played really really well and did superbly to take points at MK and saints, but given what could be at stake I fear they could be too much for us on the day.

Southampton, were on a charge for the playoffs, in form, had the leagues top scorer in their ranks and a wage bill comparable to Charltons and certainly far in excess of ours.

Whilst accepting that Charlton may have far more to play for than we will, I maintain that I still have not seen a stand out team in this league and that with an additional regular goalscorer/others chipping in with their share of goals there is no reason why we cannot be comfortably top half and even challenging next season. We still have not been hammered all season. There have been very few games where we have conceeded more than 2 goals Hartlepool (0-3) Southampton (1-3) you can put down to 1 or more horrors from Brill, Walsall away (3-0) we played more than 45 minutes with 10 men and Swindon (4-2) we were by far the better side for 43 minutes before conceeding 4 in a mad 10 minutes including a dubious penalty and a goal that was clearly offside before coming back with 2 goals of our own. Even Brentford at home (2-3) we had more than enough chances to win.

The point I am making is this. Based on what we have seen this season, where do people get this fear that we are going to get hammered in some game or other? There does not appear to be any back up for the fear they have.

League 1 has for many years now been a tight league and there is a very fine line between chasing promotion and fighting relegation as we are finding this season. Even teams with big budgets are finding it tough in this league, Norwich excepted and even they got hammered on the opening day.

We may not have beaten any of the top 8 this season to date, but each and every one of those teams have budgets far in excess of us and should be walking away with the league. The fact that with the exception of Norwich no one is standing out suggests that it is going to be tight again next year.

The fact that with the exception of Norwich no one is standing out suggests that it is going to be tight again next year.

With you up until the end.

I'd reckon Southampton's millions will kick in by next season.

Charlton looked average at their ground. Leeds looked much better in the games we played, and not exactly ace then. Norwich (A) is the only game I've seen us pissed on this season.

With you up until the end.

I'd reckon Southampton's millions will kick in by next season.

Charlton looked average at their ground. Leeds looked much better in the games we played, and not exactly ace then. Norwich (A) is the only game I've seen us pissed on this season.

Give Southampton their 10 points back and they still wouldn't be in the top 2 and would be 13 points behind Norwich.

Whilst Southampton have probably been the best team to visit BP this season and have the leagues top scorer in their ranks, it will be interesting to see how they go next season. They will probably have the best budget in the league and be able to strengthen further in the summer, but how will they handle the pressure. This season they have had a situation where they have had nothing to lose because of the points deduction and so have been able to go for it. That wont be the case next season when the expectation will be on them to go up automatically. How have Leeds handled that pressure for the last 3 years and Charlton this season, or going back a little bit, Sheffield Wednesday. It's not as easy as people think and all the other teams tend to raise their games against the "big" clubs.

Whilst you would expect Southampton to be right up there next season, you have to say that it is never that straightforward.

It's never a stroll in the park really. I don't think Norwich will say it was (although Leicester could have if they wanted, but their fans were more humble than the usual crap that comes down).

I just think that with the best player in the division for the last few years, and a pretty endless budget they'll piss it next year (in relative terms).

I'd be surprised if Charlton turned us over with ease on the last game though, like yourself.

Right. I am now 100% in the Penney out camp. In fact, I'll sodding lead it. I'll be the chairman, secretary, cheerleader, kitman, tea-lady whatever. I'm the sodding Kieron Lee of the Penney out campaign.

Why this sudden vocal change? Well, simply I've been reasonably quiet over getting rid of Penney for one simple, obvious reason - who would we get to replace him. Ive come to a simple realisation now - anyone would be better than him. Yesterday I saw him amke a defensive substitution when 1-0 down. Something he did at Huddersfield in the same situation, and in countless other games before. I'm sorry - but there is not one other manager (or player, or supporter, or kitman, or pragramme seller, or gold-fish) that would do that. Junst none. To decide that you would rather 'protect' a 1-0 defeat, rather than attack is a step too far for me.

He simply must go. I dont care who replaces him. Simply as anyone who comes in will have an ethos that to win football matchis is better than losing them. (Well, unless we replace him with rafa benitez). I just cant share a single opinion with how that yorkshire pratt looks at a football match.

This is outside budgets, players or anything. This is simply about football. This is about belief, and believing that you should win football matches. I cannot believe what I saw yesterday, I genuinely cant. As I say, this is not about being :censored:e - I can accept that, its about accepting a manager who believes that lsoing a match 1-0is a good thing. I cant believe that Penney thinks anything else. The eveidence is there.

Ask yourself - do you believe even with a reduced budget Penney is the person to wheel and deal? Is he the right person to choose which players to release and keep? is he the person to get the most out of a undoubtedly poorer team next season? Look at the evidence - he is :censored: ing up this club in every way.

I just want someone who will attept to win football matches. Anyone would be better than him, I dont care how inexperienced, untried, unliked, unknown - he will be better than Penney, as surely they cant take pleasure, or be satisfied in losing football games.

Get this man out of our club before it is too late. Penney Out. Now.

Edited by BigfinLatic

Right. I am now 100% in the Penney out camp. In fact, I'll sodding lead it. I'll be the chairman, secretary, cheerleader, kitman, tea-lady whatever. I'm the sodding Kieron Lee of the Penney out campaign.

Why this sudden vocal change? Well, simply I've been reasonably quiet over getting rid of Penney for one simple, obvious reason - who would we get to replace him. Ive come to a simple realisation now - anyone would be better than him. Yesterday I saw him amke a defensive substitution when 1-0 down. Something he did at Huddersfield in the same situation, and in countless other games before. I'm sorry - but there is not one other manager (or player, or supporter, or kitman, or pragramme seller, or gold-fish) that would do that. Junst none. To decide that you would rather 'protect' a 1-0 defeat, rather than attack is a step too far for me.

He simply must go. I dont care who replaces him. Simply as anyone who comes in will have an ethos that to win football matchis is better than losing them. (Well, unless we replace him with rafa benitez). I just cant share a single opinion with how that yorkshire pratt looks at a football match.

This is outside budgets, players or anything. This is simply about football. This is about belief, and believing that you should win football matches. I cannot believe what I saw yesterday, I genuinely cant. As I say, this is not about being :censored:e - I can accept that, its about accepting a manager who believes that lsoing a match 1-0is a good thing. I cant believe that Penney thinks anything else. The eveidence is there.

Ask yourself - do you believe even with a reduced budget Penney is the person to wheel and deal? Is he the right person to choose which players to release and keep? is he the person to get the most out of a undoubtedly poorer team next season? Look at the evidence - he is :censored: ing up this club in every way.

I just want someone who will attept to win football matches. Anyone would be better than him, I dont care how inexperienced, untried, unliked, unknown - he will be better than Penney, as surely they cant take pleasure, or be satisfied in losing football games.

He needs to be paid off. A job for The Trust maybe?

:applause1:

Up to now, I haven't really been in the Penney out camp either, mainly because there are so few option around and constant change does no good for a settled or balanced team. After yesterday, I'm firmly in the "get rid" camp - NOW. I haven't registered a vote because 1) there isn't a "Any bugger but Penney" option and 2) Phil Brown's missing. Oh yes. We could do a lot worse. The man may not be everyone's favourite, but he's passionate, tells it as it is and tries to entertain.

*Stands back with eyes shut, waiting to be shot at*

Edited by Bristolatic