Clashing Kits

It's something I've noticed more and more over recent months... teams seem to constantly have 'clashing' kits on.

Today, for example, both Birmingham and Villa are wearing white shorts... as a viewer on TV it makes it more difficult to see if the ball's come off the attacker/defender in close contact situations, and it's fair to assume the referee and linesmen suffer a similar problem, as twice in the last 15 minutes there's been a delay as the officials look clumsily at each other over which side should have a throw in.

Now, I stand (sit looking for Chaddy on BBC1) to be corrected but I thought sides had to have different colour shirt, shorts and socks for a game?

On a similar, but less intrusive, note - yesterday the officials had black shorts/socks on with dark green shirts whilst City were wearing an all black kit... not as much of a problem as the Villa/Brum example but still slightly off-putting as a viewer and surely as a player...?

It's something I've noticed more and more over recent months... teams seem to constantly have 'clashing' kits on.

Today, for example, both Birmingham and Villa are wearing white shorts... as a viewer on TV it makes it more difficult to see if the ball's come off the attacker/defender in close contact situations, and it's fair to assume the referee and linesmen suffer a similar problem, as twice in the last 15 minutes there's been a delay as the officials look clumsily at each other over which side should have a throw in.

Now, I stand (sit looking for Chaddy on BBC1) to be corrected but I thought sides had to have different colour shirt, shorts and socks for a game?

On a similar, but less intrusive, note - yesterday the officials had black shorts/socks on with dark green shirts whilst City were wearing an all black kit... not as much of a problem as the Villa/Brum example but still slightly off-putting as a viewer and surely as a player...?

I'd never pass to a referee or linesman/woman!!

You're spot on though Ack - different colour shorts SHOULD be worn - perhaps there's not enough money in the game for them to buy new 'uns!!!!

I agree with you on the shorts and socks point.

What is good about Villa / Brum games in recent years is that they actually allow both sides to wear home shirts these days.

Claret & Sky Blue v Dark Blue used to be considered a clash in years gone by.

I'd never pass to a referee or linesman/woman!!

You probably wouldn't pass to a mascot or a steward either, but that didn't stop Leeds whining about Chaddy being too near the pitch during the pink kit game, or their fans trying to blame us beating them at Elland Road on the yellow kit looking like the stewards' jackets (which were actually orange).

Incidentally when did they change the rules on keepers having to wear long sleeves? Admittedly you don't see them wearing short sleeves very often but it does happen.surely it must be confusing if a few players go up for the ball and it hits someone's arm, and you can't see if it was the keeper or an outfield player?

You probably wouldn't pass to a mascot or a steward either, but that didn't stop Leeds whining about Chaddy being too near the pitch during the pink kit game, or their fans trying to blame us beating them at Elland Road on the yellow kit looking like the stewards' jackets (which were actually orange).

Incidentally when did they change the rules on keepers having to wear long sleeves? Admittedly you don't see them wearing short sleeves very often but it does happen.surely it must be confusing if a few players go up for the ball and it hits someone's arm, and you can't see if it was the keeper or an outfield player?

You're right - having seen Mr Owl play football, i'd certainly never pass to him........ :lol:

As for the keepers The big floppy glove usually give it away :grin:

On the LW commentary, Roy said that the ball hit the referee four times. Was the clash responsible for these misplaced passes? Who knows?

On the LW commentary, Roy said that the ball hit the referee four times. Was the clash responsible for these misplaced passes? Who knows?

No, it's just our players can't pass straight.

(Although he had no noticeable impact on the game with key decisions, yesterday's ref was awful).

Edited by opinions4u

The first time I noticed it was when Bartez used to do it for Marseille/France in the early 90s- I would agree though if it hits the arm of goalie in short sleeves it might not be easy to differentiate the difference and I wouldn't allow it.

Its not hard for teams to have a completely different kit to their opposition (wear away shorts for example quoted by the OP). In fact I think in the states they have it quite good one team wears white and the other wears a colour but that might annoy teams like the barcodes and the candy stripers who have played in colour and white stripes for donkey years.

Remember at Northampton we had to borrow a set of their socks because ours clashed with the ones they were wearing and they refused to change. Also, how many times do you see the ref and linesmen/women wearing yellow or green shirts with black shorts and socks only to find one (or both) of the keepers wearing exactly the same. How confusing is that? I can also remember, last season I think, Everton sticking to their traditional royal blue at Citeh. Anyone got a rule book we can refer to?

It is definitely a rule in World Cups and European Championships that the least clashing combination of kits must be worn.

So if, say, England play Brazil, one team must wear their away kit, as yellow and white are both light-coloured kits.

This even extends to shorts and socks, which is why Italy wore blue shorts in the 2006 final against France, rather than their traditional white. As they won the World Cup in these colours, blue shorts have now been adopted as Italy's 1st choice.