As they did in the previous 2! and that included the first year finding his feet and ironing out the injury niggles to gain match fitness. Like with Wellens and Porter before him we haven't pushed the boat out that extra little required to keep proven quality. Instead reverted back to trying cheaper untested options. The silver lining is knowing that in todays football success for sides like Latics is possible....aka Blackpool.

I don't know about pushing the boat out, but if the 8K wage as rumoured is true then we were never even in the running.

I'd expect he'll be available for something in the region of £0 though as Notts try to stop bleeding money.

A Division 2 side though. Nah. I think all this goes to show is how piss easy it is to score in Division 4. I'd look at his Blackpool record when he was a year younger to see if he could do it at that level.

I don't know about pushing the boat out, but if the 8K wage as rumoured is true then we were never even in the running.

I'd expect he'll be available for something in the region of £0 though as Notts try to stop bleeding money.

A Division 2 side though. Nah. I think all this goes to show is how piss easy it is to score in Division 4. I'd look at his Blackpool record when he was a year younger to see if he could do it at that level.

5 and a half at County, probably hefty bonuses as well. That sort of cash is going to seriously water down the quality in the rest of the squad, Hughes wouldn't score so many with a squad full of £800ers supplying him.

5 and a half at County, probably hefty bonuses as well. That sort of cash is going to seriously water down the quality in the rest of the squad, Hughes wouldn't score so many with a squad full of £800ers supplying him.

If he's on Five and a half K a week, that's outta the ball park currently for us.

Thing is we would have signed him for half of that, had we, as a club, been less stubborn and short-sighted. Notts County weren't on the radar until much later. It was a costly miss by Penney/ TTA or whoever effectively closed the door on Lee Hughes... IMHO

Reason for edit - attempted balance...

But that is in the past and we should put it down to experience, but do we ever learn?

Edited by dazlatic

Thing is we would have signed him for half of that, had we, as a club, been less stubborn and short-sighted. Notts County weren't on the radar until much later. It was a costly miss by Penney/ TTA or whoever effectively closed the door on Lee Hughes... IMHO

Reason for edit - attempted balance...

But that is in the past and we should put it down to experience, but do we ever learn?

He was asking a little less than that to sign for us, nowhere near half. The fact that we loaned him out to a higher division tells its own story.

He was asking a little less than that to sign for us, nowhere near half. The fact that we loaned him out to a higher division tells its own story.

Sometimes (usually) we don't help ourselves these days. I'm not a Penney fan but this has been going on for longer that the span of his tenure.

Being fair though it worked with Gregan

Cracking brace for Hughesy on The Football League Show last night. If doesn't much matter which division you're in if you're converting chances in that fashion.

COG's finish was pretty sexy too.

So that's two of the League 2's 4 top scorers loaned out by Latics last season....

what a player he is i think some championship teams will bid for him and i know he got oldham in his heart lets hope barry owen brings him back home i know county looking to sell some players.

Joe Royle was mad to get rid off end off i miss hughesy at oldham badly his goals and his silly dance LOL was great to watch.

Edited by RoyleArmy

Thank you Hughesy. Nice little earner from me at the bookies backing him to finish top scorer at the start of the season.

I got sidetracked placing my bet and then he scored a hattrick first game. I would have had him at 50-1 :ranting:

Such a shame he's not our player any more. We wait years for a goal scoring hero and then for whatever reason lose people like Porter and Hughes. Fans come to the stadium to watch players like Hughes. Anyone blame Joe Royle?

i blame Mr royle

Blame Joe Royle? Don't talk daft. Penney and TTA made Hughes an offer that he dismissed as a joke. That's why he's not here. We were never ever going to match the stupid money Notts County were throwing around.

Royle made it clear that, if he were staying around, then Hughes wouldn't figure in his plans but you're trying to lay blame in completely the wrong place.

8K? That's a new rumour on me. The rumour doing the rounds at the time was he wanted a 2 year contract and we offered him 1.

Jacko, he was offered 2k a week to stay with us but notts offered him 2.5k a week.My mate spoke with corney at chapel road and he told him that they would not negotiate with him they decided 2k a week was enough.

Jacko, he was offered 2k a week to stay with us but notts offered him 2.5k a week.My mate spoke with corney at chapel road and he told him that they would not negotiate with him they decided 2k a week was enough.

To be fair Hughes was pretty ineffective for his last few months, though that has been shown to be just a slump in form. The majority of league clubs could afford big wages for Hughes if only they were assured he would be fit, playing and scoring.

Would it be worth a big bonus deal for a Lee Hughes?

Say something like £2k per week, £1k per appearance, £1k for a win, -£1k for a loss, £2k per home goal, £3k per away goal and £3k extra over for every goal over 20 (or perhaps point earning goal) with an equivalent bonus for direct assists where relevant to negate Hughes playing for himself.

The example is probably a bit excessive, as if we won at Millwall 3-2 courtesy of a Hughes hatrick then he would rake in £16k in the week! :deal2:

Though if we lost 0-1 at home then he would get just £2k. :deal:

I he played 40, won 20, drew 10, scored 15 home goals, 10 away goals, assisted 10 at home and 5 away he would earn £254k in the year. Which is still only £5k per week meaning we wouldn't get him; best up the basic a bit then.

Players are often criticised for being all about the money, so why not try and turn it into an advantage? The success of Sam Hammam's Wimbledon was often attributed to his generous bonus structure.

You're spot on with the what he wanted and what was offered. £500 extra on his basic and he went elsewhere and banged in 30 goals. OK, we would have paid him an extra 80% of his annual basic in goal bonuses and appearances but it would have been worth it.

Massive mistake by us - we may have even got a fee for him this summer

You're spot on with the what he wanted and what was offered. £500 extra on his basic and he went elsewhere and banged in 30 goals. OK, we would have paid him an extra 80% of his annual basic in goal bonuses and appearances but it would have been worth it.

Massive mistake by us - we may have even got a fee for him this summer

It may have been spot on at the time, but the moment Notts County came in it was a goner. He's on far more there than what is going around here.

The moment we shifted him off to the tangerine evil he was a goner from here anyway. Why would you come back knowing that the main people in charge didn't want you?