Post Game Thread v charlton

can I just ask was their first goal because, again, we had no one at the far post when a cross came in? I did not have a clean view.

If it was then again Crosses and bloody corners, no one at the far post. I bet this is the are we have conceed most goals in.grrrrrrrr... :ranting:

Oh I and the second I blame the fan at the side of me who said "its going in this one....." aagghh!!!. I told him he jinxed us and he came back with - "well I thought it would be a cracking goal not a crap one".

Well at least we laughed and not cried.....what a season it has been.

oh yes and footnote to management...start getting wingers on will you who wanna run down the flanks a whip crosses in. Totally lack of it again today.

Did we actually have a shot on Target?.....I don't remember... :disappointed:

Oh yes just added, beside Roger, the other plus about today is that I believe Brooke has been offered a contract. He wasn't so sure last week, So maybe the club are looking for the youngsters to step up. Hope they are up for it.

Edited by underdog

How many attempts at goal did he have ?

Unfair criticism on brooke, he looked half decent got stuck in, never got the ball with a chance of pulling a shot off, looked better than abbott or guy or eaves did

Can't understand the fans in the RR end cheering at Charlton fans when Leeds went 2-1 up ???

Surely it is better to play Leeds next season than Charlton.

I was hoping Leeds lost and either Milwall or Charlton went up automatic with the other going up via the play offs .

But then i am sane not a moron !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quite.

It made my blood boil to hear Latics 'fans' cheering on Leeds.

Cocks.

I know these kids just do it to wind the oppo's fans up, but they'll never understand how stupid they are (Well, not until one of the oppo fans breaks their nose behind the RRE after the game - now that WOULD be funny!)

Quite.

Cocks.

I know these kids just do it to wind the oppo's fans up, but they'll never understand how stupid they are (Well, not until one of the oppo fans breaks their nose behind the RRE after the game - now that WOULD be funny!)

:blink:

What is it with latics fans actually hating other latics fans?

The Latics fans in the RRE were actually cheering Millwall's goal's, hence the come on Millwall chant. Good to finally get the season over, there is a nucleus of a good team here most being youth. I think that with the correct manager and some decent signings, we will be a bit further up the table next time round. Here's to next season :grin:

Quite.

Cocks.

they wasnt cheering leeds...they were cheering millwall...and the big first applause was when leeds went a goal down....the fact was they were baiting the charlton fans saying your staying down with the oldham....it was charlton fans cheering leeds to bait us back...then it broke into the bastard song....

f**k me....moaning cos people were creating a bit of atmoshpere.....if you want to watch football in silence watch it on tv....

Unfair criticism on brooke, he looked half decent got stuck in, never got the ball with a chance of pulling a shot off, looked better than abbott or guy or eaves did

thats my thoughts exactly..it was quite refreshing to watch a few kids come on and actually play without fear....the rest should look at them and think jeez....thats what we should be doing....taylor can run round all day long nutmegging step overs the lot,but if there isnt a end product from it its pretty pointless.

Thought the three young lads looked alright when they came on. At least they looked interested and put a bit of effort. Thought it was the same story as all season, the full backs not overlapping the wingers making it difficult to get anything in the box to attack

The ovation for Roger Palmer showed the crowd are still passionate, the management and players just need to give them something to be passionate about.

Very true. Here's hoping for an awe inspiring managerial appointment.

If they could have announced pre game, roger palmer was attending it would have boosted attendence

I hope not or any other youngster too because if we are going to turn on them at this early stages of their career then I will have to seriously consider coming back next season.

Sometimes I think we should have a new sign over BP.

"home of OAFC, welcome to hell....."

I pity the poor fool who is going to take over the reigns, they are going to have a bit of charisma/character to win us fans over, going to have to work with the current squad without too many changes as there's no dosh, get the youngsters to step up as there is no other way we are going to get some new blood in or hopefully, hopefully is not affraid to go cap in hand to a bigger club and say what have you got that you want to off load for a season.

I can't see any other options.

I am just relieved the seasons over with, now got to get through the disappointment of the world cup as we won't be doing much in that either.

My merit (I use the term loosely) marks;

Flahaven 5.. Brill style error killed the game. Very Brill like.

Goodwin 5..Some awful distribution. Shocking, words fail me, thank god he's not our player.

Black 5...Got rid of the ball like a hot potato. Sold himself for nothing for their first goal, poor.

Gregan 6...Average compared to this seasons heroics. Steady by his standards.

Hazell...6.. Similar to Gregan. Agreed.

Smalley 5...A virtual spectator. Yep, never got in the game.

Whitaker 6...Tidy, but little impact going forward. He really does need to put his foot in occasionally, and try and move the ball forward.

Stephens 7.. Erratic, but best of a bad bunch. Not his best game, by a long way.

Taylor 6...Poor in first half, slightly improved in second period. Generally poor, an odd run but very little end product.

Abbott 5..A shadow of his earlier season self. Agreed, very subdued.

Guy 5..Ran about, but rarely touched the ball. Did run about but not to much end really.

Subs

Eaves 5..Could not get into the game, needs to work hard on holding the ball under pressure. Agree very strongly, he has a long way to go.

Brooke 5...No impression. Thought he had some impression on the game, but all was lost by that time.

Millar 5.. Hardly saw the ball. If I hadn't seen the substitution take place, I would have taken some convincing he was on the field at any point.

Very poor end of season performance TBH, very disappointing and never looked like scoring at any stage, I don't think we had a shot on target and their keeper didn't make a save.

Charlton will very rarely ever be gifted 3 easier points than that.

All it does is go to underline what a very poor squad of players we have assembled, whoever comes in will again need a major overhaul in playing personnel and with no money to spend he will need to be magician or a miracle worker, another long hard season ahead whoever we appoint.

Edited by Hometownclub

Agreed. I think there's a fair bit of potential in Brooke. Personally I think that the best thing that's happened in his career, is funnily enough probably the worst too, that being his goal on his debut, as it's made a lot of people seemingly expect him to be a little further along in his development than he is.

He's had limited chances this season, largely from the bench, and it's hard enough coming on as a sub anyway, never mind in a game against a team playing for promotion, with a centre back who's played in the Premiership in his career. And he's only 19, given time I think he'll become quite a decent striker at this level.

Agreed. I think there's a fair bit of potential in Brooke. Personally I think that the best thing that's happened in his career, is funnily enough probably the worst too, that being his goal on his debut, as it's made a lot of people seemingly expect him to be a little further along in his development than he is.

He's had limited chances this season, largely from the bench, and it's hard enough coming on as a sub anyway, never mind in a game against a team playing for promotion, with a centre back who's played in the Premiership in his career. And he's only 19, given time I think he'll become quite a decent striker at this level.

I think that's a good point. I also think, with a more attack-minded manager, Brooke would have seen a lot more action this season.

I think that's a good point. I also think, with a more attack-minded manager, Brooke would have seen a lot more action this season.

I agree with that. I was saying to a mate today, I think Brooke would benefit from going out on loan next season, should we sign a striker or two. Eaves certainly seems to be ahead of Brooke in the pecking order at the moment, but that could obviously change depending on who's in charge next season, and the application in training from both of them, and when/if we get a striker or strikers in.

Either way Brooke's got potential, and a loan would only help his development.

Quite.

Cocks.

2 things i never want to hear our fans doing again:

1. singing "Millwall, Millwall"

2. cheering leeds scoring. FFS have a word with yourselves.

having said that it summed up our season that watching your mobile for news coming in from other games, that didn't affect us in any way, was more interesting than watching what was happening on the pitch. Roll on next season.

On the plus side did anyone else think that Taylor looked like a weight had been lifted off his shoulders? i'd like to think he was wearing a t-shirt under his shirt saying "GOOD RIDDANCE DAVE".....

Very poor end of season performance TBH, very disappointing and never looked like scoring at any stage, I don't think we had a shot on target and their keeper didn't make a save.

Charlton will very rarely ever be gifted 3 easier points than that.

All it does is go to underline what a very poor squad of players we have assembled, whoever comes in will again need a major overhaul in playing personnel and with no money to spend he will need to be magician or a miracle worker, another long hard season ahead whoever we appoint.

This sums up perfectly yesterday's game and I think accurately predicts what awaits next season.

Too many poor or average players - Stephens was the best of a bad bunch - and even he overhit too many passes and deadball attempts.

The highlight of the day was the return of the Roger. :grin:

Bit off topic but i nearly didn't make it to the game yesterday. Was on the train from Liverpool to Manchester and the conductor saw my Latics t-shirt, and must have overheard the two young lads stood by me talking about Tranmere's game,and told us that "all the football fans" had been thrown off the previous train at Warrington because "it wasn't safe to carry on",that he'd be throwing us off as well if there was any trouble,and "it's the same every Saturday, football fans don't know how to behave themselves".When i pointed out that we were 'behaving ourselves' and hadn't done anything, he just laughed and walked off. Now i know what you're thinking, 'Tranmere fans, i don't blame him',but they really were just minding their own business and hadn't done anything to attract his attention other than talking about the match. He was laughing and joking with us when he came back out so presumably he'd realised he was being a pr*ck. I had hoped the days of being treated like a criminal simply for being a football fan were over, but apparently not. As my sister pointed out, "he's picked his targets, hasn't he? A 5ft1 woman on her own and a couple of kids who aren't doing anything? Wonder if he'd have done the same to a 6ft 17 stone bloke?"