latics agree deal...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we are all saying this but look at whats happened to blackpool. yeah they have a rich owner but they have competed on one of the lowest budgets in the league and scunny have.

I know Lee but could you imagine Latics affording £350k + wages for a fullback who has spent most of the season on the bench. Blackpool are currently and now more than ever in a different financial league to latics. That was this year - this new deal means we have even less chance of re-attaining that level for a sustained period of time unless we get investment. Unfortunately I think this deal again makes it more unlikely that Latics will be in with a chance of getting it.

we are all saying this but look at whats happened to blackpool. yeah they have a rich owner but they have competed on one of the lowest budgets in the league and scunny have.

But that really is a big part of the point of what is being said. The chances of the 'Blackpool Dream' happening again in the futures will be shortened considerably via these changes.

Even clubs like Leeds with a big fanbase now getting back into the Championship, will face a massive struggle to get further, seeing ex-Premiership clubs receiving a minimum of £8.6M and for a period of four years after their demotion. Leeds are in a great position in terms of their finances, but they made a mere £4M profit, but will have to leg it over clubs getting £17M parachute payments if they want to get anywhere.

As for lowly clus like Oldham, the future simply gets bleaker.

Can we stop saying club and start saying clubs please.

Why ? I don't care how other clubs voted... Our club backed the yes vote and that is what is bothering me...

Chief executive Alan Hardy explained that Latics voted under duress to accept the solidarity-payment package at an emergencey meeting of Football League clubs at Walsall.

Latics accepted it... The right thing, in my humble opinion, was to vote No...

Vote No

And still be in the minority regardless, wouldn't it have been pushed through regardless though, one club voting 'NO' isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference, it isn't just in football where nobody sticks together anymore, this is just the 1st instance of where it has been highlighted.

The sooner the big clubs move to a genuine European League the better, the rest can manage perfectly well on their own without finances being ruined by hyper salaries.

I agree with that - hopefully with the proviso that all games are midweek or Sundays

Then we might get fans back in lower league stadiums on a Saturday(so long as the product on the pitch is exciting!)

basically the premier league is exclusive to teams who have millions. if you manage to get there without million you will last one season then bang back out, look at burnley. i hate the premier league and always have done.

Yes, it is exclusive, and the extended parachute payments will just cement that into place. Burnley funnily enough have caught this right, and will have an £18M leg-up to get back in, therefore effectively biasing all competition in the Championship. Therefore it self-creates a secondary Premier League, which pretty much excludes entry to all others, unless a mega-rich owner gets involved.

Why ? I don't care how other clubs voted... Our club backed the yes vote and that is what is bothering me...

Latics accepted it... The right thing, in my humble opinion, was to vote No...

And what difference would that have made if 99% of the other clubs voted in favour? Just to pay lip service to those who have an axe to grind with the Greed is Good league.

And still be in the minority regardless, wouldn't it have been pushed through regardless though, one club voting 'NO' isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference, it isn't just in football where nobody sticks together anymore, this is just the 1st instance of where it has been highlighted.

I don't understand your point...

It is declaration that I am not accepting this. I am against this. Its going on record... Others may have followed if one club had stood up against it. Who knows...

The point is though, we had a vote, and it was a yes vote, and I find that disgusting... People are free to disagree with me if they want but to say we should of just voted yes because it makes no difference for me is silly. Makes the whole idea of having a vote pointless by default.

With rules regarding home grown players coming in (I think), if they are not already here, does this not mean that teams that couldn't afford say a £750k punt on Taylor will now be able to? (I know he isn't near that value at the moment but he probably was at some point)

I know its not great in many aspects but hopefully it will see more money being spent by English teams on English players. If Latics had a shed load of cash we'd be raiding the cream of league two, not spain, perhaps the same will happen here.

Eaves is on the radar for many teams if one of the teams who benefit from this fancy him they can blow us away with an offer they would perhaps before have seen as a gamble. That can be both good and bad, money in but decent players moving on.

Teams have got into the prem on a shoe string and done ok and the same could be done after this deal. Who would have thought Stoke would still be in the prem with the side they took up?

Its going to be tough but I don't think this means survival in the championship is a no no for the smaller league 1 sides.

Out of the 3 premiership that have been relegated it will be interesting to see how Pompey's financial situation will be looking once the parachute payments have ceased, if they go back up within those payment periods we will then know that we are doomed forever along with the rest of the clubs

With rules regarding home grown players coming in (I think), if they are not already here, does this not mean that teams that couldn't afford say a £750k punt on Taylor will now be able to? (I know he isn't near that value at the moment but he probably was at some point)

I know its not great in many aspects but hopefully it will see more money being spent by English teams on English players. If Latics had a shed load of cash we'd be raiding the cream of league two, not spain, perhaps the same will happen here.

Eaves is on the radar for many teams if one of the teams who benefit from this fancy him they can blow us away with an offer they would perhaps before have seen as a gamble. That can be both good and bad, money in but decent players moving on.

Teams have got into the prem on a shoe string and done ok and the same could be done after this deal. Who would have thought Stoke would still be in the prem with the side they took up?

Its going to be tough but I don't think this means survival in the championship is a no no for the smaller league 1 sides.

where is ritchie82 and what have you done with him?!

Like Eastley alludes to, this is the end of football as a competition within the Football League. We've already seen the PL become a 4 horse race with the gulf between the 'haves' and 'have nots' (all in relativitiy of course) becoming ridiculously big. The same thing will now happen in the Championship with the 4 sides relegated getting huge amounts of money to get promotion back to the Prem, creating a second 4 horse race whilst the rest scramble around for respectable positions knowing damn well they have little to no chance of ever competing meaningfully.

As for the increased revenue and how it will affect the standard of football, the straight answer is that it won't. Will it help clubs like ourselves to reduce some of the losses we make each season? If we want to compete, no. In the long term we'll end up with the same standard players earning bigger money, cos footballers and agents will all want their piece of the pie just like when we got the ITV digital money. Our earnings from this have gone up from 108k to 325k, what the :censored: is 200k going to do for a club like ours when the sides in the division up are getting 2M? We should have told them to go :censored: themselves and lost out on the already laughable 100k we get and cut our cloth because the extra 200k won't be going towards covering losses anyway, not a chance.

So we agree to this deal, player wages go up, we gain nothing in terms of better players or financial stability and the gulf between ourselves and the division above widens considerably. Meanwhile the gap between the Championship and PL widens to a point that only a handful of championship teams can ever realistically hope to get there. The Prem is now a 20 team division with an extra 4 tagged on and everyone else is :censored:. The FL have once again shown how spineless they are and sold us down the river for some crumbs off Scudamores plate, disgusting.

So, the FL chairman aren't going to stand up for us, the FA aren't going to stand up for us, what as fans can we do? The time is now if we want to save not just our club, but football in the lower leagues in this country.

I don't understand your point...

It is declaration that I am not accepting this. I am against this. Its going on record... Others may have followed if one club had stood up against it. Who knows...

The point is though, we had a vote, and it was a yes vote, and I find that disgusting... People are free to disagree with me if they want but to say we should of just voted yes because it makes no difference for me is silly. Makes the whole idea of having a vote pointless by default.

My point entirely, you just worded it better than I did.

The real danger here for me is not only that the league becomes uncompetitive but that sides go bust trying to compensate for the gulf in spending, get relegated and it all goes tits up. We've already had countless problems with clubs overspending on Premier League survival and the temptation will be there now to overspend on Championship survival. I'd expect to see more sides going straight through League One after relegation.

<SNIP></SNIP>

It seems however, due to the EU and the money, that the rules on 'home-grown players' are more than a bit farcical. It appears that big sides now just raid European clubs for younger players, loan them back out to their original clubs for a while, then if they are good enough, they take them back later and call them home-grown. Players only need to be registered at a club to qualify.