New Manager Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holloway defends attacking philosophy

Never a truer word said.

I do not expect us to play like Brazil next season, nor do I expect us to win every game playing silky smooth football. But what I do expect from whoever is in charge is for him to attack teams and to set out to win games in a positive manner, unlike colonel cautious did last season.

Hopefully our Board can be has brave as Colchesters and keep the stability of the team together and appoint Gray !

The difference is John Ward is a proven manager, Gray will not be tolerated by the 'mob' rightly or wrongly - for Gray they read another incarnation of Penney. Personally, I think the lad has something about him but boy did he fluff his interview against Charlton. I'm not too bothered who gets it tbh, I've renewed my season ticket weeks ago but i'm already resigned to relegation next season. The more this drags on the more I can see it being a cheap appointment, people are already threatening to get refunds for their ST's and the budget has been widely reported to be less than last season. The squad is the poorest squad we've had since the Ritchie years but unfortunately League One is a much, much stronger league than it was 10-12 years ago.

I take it summat will happen this week as it's the consultation on Wednesday and surely Blitz will be over to confirm the new guy. Personally I think it will be Gray or Crossley, if it's Gannon I feel I can't trust the guy as his heart is elsewhere - a bit like Ronnie Moore was with Rotherham and Penney was with Donny and Darlo.

My own choice was a Ritchie and Bunn dream-team, why? The club needs a boost, ok it's the nostalgia card again but the support has deserted in droves and is fractured only a similar appointment has the chance to bring everyone together and get the fans back onside. Momentum is needed before the move to Failsworth or we will simply become another Darlo or Oxford. This appointment has to stop the downward spiral that began in February 2007 - it is probably the most important appointment in our 115 year history - but regardless of the new man's identity the owners need to give the guy a budget he can compete with.

Giving Penney the remit "just to keep us in the division", then sacking the guy when he does just that smacks of double standards...

The difference is John Ward is a proven manager, Gray will not be tolerated by the 'mob' rightly or wrongly - for Gray they read another incarnation of Penney. Personally, I think the lad has something about him but boy did he fluff his interview against Charlton. I'm not too bothered who gets it tbh, I've renewed my season ticket weeks ago but i'm already resigned to relegation next season. The more this drags on the more I can see it being a cheap appointment, people are already threatening to get refunds for their ST's and the budget has been widely reported to be less than last season. The squad is the poorest squad we've had since the Ritchie years but unfortunately League One is a much, much stronger league than it was 10-12 years ago.

I take it summat will happen this week as it's the consultation on Wednesday and surely Blitz will be over to confirm the new guy. Personally I think it will be Gray or Crossley, if it's Gannon I feel I can't trust the guy as his heart is elsewhere - a bit like Ronnie Moore was with Rotherham and Penney was with Donny and Darlo.

My own choice was a Ritchie and Bunn dream-team, why? The club needs a boost, ok it's the nostalgia card again but the support has deserted in droves and is fractured only a similar appointment has the chance to bring everyone together and get the fans back onside. Momentum is needed before the move to Failsworth or we will simply become another Darlo or Oxford. This appointment has to stop the downward spiral that began in February 2007 - it is probably the most important appointment in our 115 year history - but regardless of the new man's identity the owners need to give the guy a budget he can compete with.

Giving Penney the remit "just to keep us in the division", then sacking the guy when he does just that smacks of double standards...

Would have to disagree there prozac. The 'pinch me' years need to be put behind us now, or else they could really hinder the clubs progress if the club and fans continue to live in the past. Fans cannot continue to instantly think "bring <insert former player/manager associated with the pinch me season> back every time the managerial position becomes vacant. This is the problem how I see it this year:

We make an external appointment: Fans are somewhat happier but the new guy has to play catch up, and fast. They will have to watch a fair few DVD's and talk to a fair few people in order to make an accurate assesment of the current playing squad in order to decide where they want to strengthen and who they want to bring in.

We appoint Gray: Gray will be able to hit the ground running as I am sure he will know already who he wants rid of and who he wants to bring in. However, rightly or wrongly, some fans who bought season tickets on the assumption we would have a fresh management team may see Gray's appointment as a kick in the balls, especially after going through a full recruitment process. At least Colchester have been quick and decisive with their appointment of Ward, which is what we should have been with Gray if we wanted to appoint him.

Whoever the board decide to appoint I would hope is on the basis of they consider them to have the best qualities to be successful in the circumstances we have. If it wasn't for Penney being arguably the most despised Oldham manager since Graeme Sharp, I personally think the job would have been given to Gray by now. I definitely think Gray has the makings of a manager, and if he can come across as his own person with his own philosophy (and he plays the game more positively than Penney) then I would back him 100 percent, but I think in all honestly, after alot of serious thought, I think it would probably be better for Martin and the club that he starts his management career elsewhere, as I think Martin deserves to start with a clean slate(something which many fans on here will not give him), and I don't think we can risk any more damage to our fanbase.

I say this with regret, with Gray being initially the last person I wanted in the job, to one of my preferred candidates, but I personally think the window to appoint Martin Gray has now passed.

EDIT: On the subject of the Colchester job, it seems many of their fans are not happy at all with the appointment of Ward.

Holloway defends attacking philosophy

Never a truer word said.

I do not expect us to play like Brazil next season, nor do I expect us to win every game playing silky smooth football. But what I do expect from whoever is in charge is for him to attack teams and to set out to win games in a positive manner, unlike colonel cautious did last season.

We'll see how long that lasts in the Prem...or more to the point, he lasts when they get stuffed 4 and 5-0 every week...quite looking forward to seeing that one play out.

Indeed...yet all season Corney did nothing but heap pressure onto his "choice"...especially when talking all that bollocks about budgets compared to Shez rather than actually backing "his" man...Corney really doesn't help when he plays to the fans tune. I agree with him over his regrets on sacking Ronnie but it seems he's learnt very little from playing to the fans.

Do you think they will beat Derbys lowest points total?

Don't know as it stands, depends what sort of signings they make. As it is though, no, can't see it. Especially if they stick to this attacking policy. Only way they'd stay up is if they play how Penney had us playing, what I call survival football. But can't see Holloway doing that...he'll get sacked and the next man in will either accept they'll go down and lap up the parachute payments (in order to try and bounce right back) or adopt this fan-infuriating (so it seems with our lot) style of football to try and stay up. Either way, they'll fail miserably.

Don't know as it stands, depends what sort of signings they make. As it is though, no, can't see it. Especially if they stick to this attacking policy. Only way they'd stay up is if they play how Penney had us playing, what I call survival football. But can't see Holloway doing that...he'll get sacked and the next man in will either accept they'll go down and lap up the parachute payments (in order to try and bounce right back) or adopt this fan-infuriating (so it seems with our lot) style of football to try and stay up. Either way, they'll fail miserably.

Lowest number of points ever or millions of pounds of funding to build a new stadium and if used wisely financial stability.

I dont think Blackpool are too bothered....

Lowest number of points ever or millions of pounds of funding to build a new stadium and if used wisely financial stability.

I dont think Blackpool are too bothered....

They could finish their stadium and have change to spare.

What do you think the chances are tomorrow that we will find out who it is, if they dont say anything tomorrow can we take it that there number 1 choice has turned it down.

No, as it may be they are still deciding who they want. I would hope that they will decide, as LL said, before the close of business tomorrow, or at least say 'the new manager will be announced on....'.

I would also think the club would be daft not to extend the season ticket deadline.

Gannon is in talks with oldham tonight to rubber stamp his move i been told bring it on.

probley nothing iam 13 and ive just been on a football tournament in walse and john barns was a gest on stage and when i went to get my trophy he asked me who do i support so i said oldham so i said we would had played u if u wouldent of got the sack the he thyen said oldham ARE going to win promotion so i asked have u applyed to take over and he didnt answer and sent me for the team photo :huh:

Totally agree. Madness not to lets face it money up front is worth far more than risk. Also takes no account of this being half term and families have holidays to pay for, an extension would be good business. Perhaps so many days after appointment. BACK YOUR CLUB.

Did i see a week or 2 ago that it was extended until the fixtures came out? Maybe there waiting till friday once the season ticket discount ends, if thats there plan then there will be a lot of un-happy people in town.

probley nothing iam 13 and ive just been on a football tournament in walse and john barns was a gest on stage and when i went to get my trophy he asked me who do i support so i said oldham so i said we would had played u if u wouldent of got the sack the he thyen said oldham ARE going to win promotion so i asked have u applyed to take over and he didnt answer and sent me for the team photo :huh:

Are you Blue Pizza's brother?

That's the worst impression of a 13 year old's writing I have ever seen! The fact you have spelt 'tournament', 'promotion', 'trophy' and 'photo' correctly suggests that your whole persona is a wind-up. Surely the mods need to get a handle on the conveyor belt of knobs on the 'wind-up' on here. It really is becoming tedious now...

That's the worst impression of a 13 year old's writing I have ever seen! The fact you have spelt 'tournament', 'promotion', 'trophy' and 'photo' correctly suggests that your whole persona is a wind-up. Surely the mods need to get a handle on the conveyor belt of knobs on the 'wind-up' on here. It really is becoming tedious now...

:lol: :lol:

thanks im in top set at school and iam 13 i

WAS BORN ON THE 12/12/96 and i play for chaddy park jfc and go to our ladys rc high school royton is that another proth and the tornament was at phwelli

check if u want just come back 2day :ranting: