Should Latics switch bank holiday fixtures ?

Well? Whadda you think?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Should Latics switch bank holiday fixtures?

• Yes
    • No

It's true. I think the club in general gets a lot of unfair stick from our fans but it is this kind of decision that gives them a bad name. I'm not so bothered about Wallsall but to voluntarily seek to change what will be (unfortunately) our biggest match of the season to a Tuesday night just seems absolute madness. The decreased attendance would easily be in four figures. Surely the police can't charge that much??!!

I hope that someone from the club reads this thread and sees sense. Leave the game on the Bank Holiday - and the extra fans will cover the additional cost of the Plod.

Also -I live two hundred miles away and will struggle to make the Tuesday night as I will be back at work... :ranting:

I hope that someone from the club reads this thread and sees sense. Leave the game on the Bank Holiday - and the extra fans will cover the additional cost of the Plod.

Also -I live two hundred miles away and will struggle to make the Tuesday night as I will be back at work... :ranting:

Not a conclusive poll insomuch its only around 100 votes, but 82% against should surely make Alan Hardy think again.

Sent my thoughts to Alan regarding the issue, states he will discuss again with directors. I intimated that decisions like this (proposed switch of the dale game, agree with the walsall game as attendance neither here nor there in all honesty) is why fans walk away/have no time for the club.

The poll on here alone proves the conclusive evidence not to switch.

If it was THAT big an issue with regard to costs, the whole league would switch their games to the tuesday.

Trouble is their owners all see sense and see that bank holiday + local derby = $$$$

Ours just see 'oooh them police are a bit pricey, better switch it'

You reap what you sow Latics....

QUOTE (boundaryblue80 @ Jun 17 2010, 23:21 PM)

These 3 guys don't give a **** clearly care about the fans anymore...yet more apathy and evidence of two fingers to listening to those who still go and are hardcore. That Dale game, the club should be busting a gut to get people in!!! Perfect opportunity, with cold, wet January midweek games to say, buy a Dale ticket and get a free ticket for the next home game or something like that

(erm, not sure why they'd do that - they will sell tickets easily - you don't do giveaways from your best gate).

QUOTE (boundaryblue80 @ Jun 17 2010, 23:21 PM)

That Dale game, the club should be busting a gut to get people in!!! Perfect opportunity, with cold, wet January midweek games to say, buy a Dale ticket and get a free ticket for the next home game or something like that

(erm, not sure why they'd do that - they will sell tickets easily - you don't do giveaways from your best gate).

Fingers crossed it stays that way...we'll see. Not celebrating just yet...

Oh and regarding giveaways for your best game, a.) the Leeds home games last season showed the struggle we're having in getting folk back for the big ties we have nowadays and b.) it was buy a Dale ticket and get a free one for a really turd midweek game like Hartlepool on Tuesday Feb 1st (unusally, we don't have a Jan midweek one this season.) Infact, after that Hartlepool game last season, it might not be that bad an idea :wink:

Edited by boundaryblue80

Fingers crossed it stays that way...we'll see. Not celebrating just yet...

Oh and regarding giveaways for your best game, a.) the Leeds home games last season showed the struggle we're having in getting folk back for the big ties we have nowadays and b.) it was buy a Dale ticket and get a free one for a really turd midweek game like Hartlepool on Tuesday Feb 1st (unusally, we don't have a Jan midweek one this season.) Infact, after that Hartlepool game last season, it might not be that bad an idea :wink:

not sure about a free ticket, maybe half price ticket?

I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if I'm repeating anything already said.

In my mind, Bank Holiday football is part of the fabric of watching your local team. Families get together and go to the match in bigger numbers. This, if the fayre offered is good, is a potential to reach out to new fans or lapsed fans and get them back on the Latics drug.

By the way, I assume one of the problems is that police get premium rates of pay for working bank holidays. Perhaps the new "Office of Budgetary Responsibility" should look at this element of their terms and conditions and remove it. We live in a 24/7 society and many employers no longer pay a higher hourly rate for working outside 9-5 Monday to Friday. Unsociable hours are a reality of being a policeman.