ex Director Mike Newton said to be

Mike Newton said to be investing into Port Vale.. bet then they find out he is a Stoke fan they will change their minds...

Still, his tie up with us seemed good based upon his official site's blogs. He wasn't completely put off and may well take a few Penneys with him.

Very subtle...ish

Best to find out he is a glory hunter, flaky fan, Robbie Williams stalker now, than later!

Might explain his very abrupt departure (other than his opinions on the manager from a couple of days visit.)

Any particular reason for editing the post Alec?

I had a telephone conversation this lunch time that confirms Newton and Vale have at least been in contact.

I don't see this as anything to do with his departure from Oldham. More likely, having had a taste at Latics, Newton is now keen to get involved somewhere else.

My comment in my telephone conversation was to the effect that the stumbling block may be Newton's ability to actually secure additional investment - something that, on the face of it, he failed to achieve at Latics.

Edited by garcon

Link to an article in the local rag.

Mike is looking to invest in Port Vale.

Maybe he could get more out of Vale for his money than us?

Shame £500,000 could have been useful next season. Why did he leave?

I liked his blogs, he showed some passion but did seem a little eccentric.

you need to be a little eccentric to put money into latics :grin:

Newton originally became involved with Athletic through his professional relationship with Simon Corney's Tel Aviv-based cousin Neil.

But friction behind the scenes led to him tendering his resignation at Boundary Park in the aftermath of the last-day 2-0 home defeat by Charlton Athletic.

“I have done my best to sort out issues and have worked hard for the club and am disappointed I can’t take my involvement further," Newton said at the time.

This is from the Oldham Chronicle : Reporter: MATTHEW CHAMBERS

Date online: 22/06/2010

Thought I’d have a read of a vale forum to see what they thought of the potential investment...

General views are that he's going to be their knight in shining armour (if he's allowed to invest by their current board.) They like the fact he's being open and honest with the fans and think he's loaded! They also reckon he left us because we're a club on the way down, and their on the way up.