Paul Dickov interview

A couple of weeks ago, Boundary Blues asked member Matthew Crowe to interview Paul Dickov for our newsletter. I thought OWTB members might find the interview interesting and so have posted it below! A big thanks to Matthew for his questions and to the gaffer who was great with him, even let him sit in the manager's chair in his office!!

Matthew: Was Oldham your first choice to manage?

Paul: It’s a great choice for me, it’s the first job that I went for as a manger. When I initially went for it, I just went along for the experience of doing it and the next thing, they offered me the job, and it’s great!!

Matthew: Are you happy about managing Oldham?

Paul: I’m delighted to finish playing and go straight into a managers job, especially at League 1 level and a club like Oldham. I regard Oldham as a proper football club, it’s a great grounding for me and a great experience for me. I can’t thank the board and the owners enough for appointing me.

Matthew: When you were younger, who did you support?

Paul: I was a Celtic supporter and when I was 12 I came down to Oldham on trial, I also went to Arsenal and Man City as well. If I hadn’t have chosen Arsenal, I probably would’ve come to Oldham.

Matthew: In your career, what was your favourite goal?

Paul: It’s got to be the Man City goal against Gillingham at Wembley for lots of reasons. For the chance to play at Wembley and score, the fact that the goal was maybe the most important goal Man City have scored because if they hadn’t have got promoted that day the club could well have gone out of business.

Matthew: Who was your favourite strike partner to play with?

Paul: I’ve been very lucky to play with a lot:- Shaun Goater at Man City, Brian Deane and Les Ferdinand at Leicester. If I’ve got to pick one, including training and playing the few games I did at Arsenal, it would be Dennis Bergkamp.

Matthew: Do you play Fifa 10 and if you do, do you play as yourself and do you manage Oldham?

Paul: My two boys play Fifa 10 and I try and join in but I only last about 30 seconds because I’m about 4-0 down by then, I’m useless at it.

Matthew: Who do your children support?

Paul: I have 3 children, Lauren (13), Sam (10) and Max (8). Max makes everybody laugh because they ask who he supports and he says “everybody my dad has played for” which is about 12 clubs!! At the minute they are Man City fans but they are being converted into Oldham fans as you can see. (Both Max and Sam had Oldham kits on at the time!)

Matthew: Who was your favourite manager in your career?

Paul: I’ve been very lucky that all the managers I’ve played under, I’ve always got on well with. Different managers for different reasons, Joe Royle at Man City, George Graham at Arsenal, Mark Hughes and Graham Souness, I couldn’t pick out a favourite one.

Matthew: Who was the hardest defender you played against?

Paul: Gerry Taggart. I used to play against him in training everyday! Apart from Gerry, it would be Jonathan Woodgate when he first started out at Leeds before he had lots of injuries. (We should point out that Gerry Taggart was in the room at the time!)

Matthew: Who was the best player you played against?

Paul: I was very lucky at Arsenal, I got to play against Paulo Mandini for 10 minutes, it was just fantastic!

Matthew: What advice would you give a young player like me? I am a winger.

Paul: The advice I give to young players now is to work as hard as you can all the time and enjoy playing football because it’s the best job in the world!

For your chance to interview a VIP from the club, email your name to Boundary.Blues@gmail.com or contact Lisa through OWTB.

Matthew: Was Oldham your first choice to manage?

Paul: It’s a great choice for me, it’s the first job that I went for as a manger. When I initially went for it, I just went along for the experience of doing it and the next thing, they offered me the job, and it’s great!!

Matthew: Are you happy about managing Oldham?

Paul: I’m delighted to finish playing and go straight into a managers job, especially at League 1 level and a club like Oldham. I regard Oldham as a proper football club, it’s a great grounding for me and a great experience for me. I can’t thank the board and the owners enough for appointing me.

He stated in another interview that he didnt apply for our managers job and that corney invited him for a interview... :unsure:

He stated in another interview that he didnt apply for our managers job and that corney invited him for a interview... :unsure:

Think he was recommended by Joe Royle to Corney to interview just to see what he had to say, and ended up blowing the rest out of the water.

Good interview!