Could we do it?

Could we really go to charlton on saturday and win? I'm trying so hard not to get carried away but i'm really starting to believe we can beat anyone in this league! I've not felt so excited about a season for a very long time, if at all :grin:

If we go for it why not? Saying that, I still think it would be a successful afternoon if we got a point.

I wasn't impressed with Charlton at all, a central defence of Docherty & Dailly(who was sent off) is paceless and wont be able to cope with our movement. They play an awful lot of long ball, Abbott is a slowcoach, Hazell will cope with him all day. The only thing we may have to do is double up on Lee Martin because he is their best player by far...but having said that, maybe we shouldnt double up on them, we should just take the game to them and make them worry about us.

Come on lads!!!

I wasn't impressed with Charlton at all, a central defence of Docherty & Dailly(who was sent off) is paceless and wont be able to cope with our movement. They play an awful lot of long ball, Abbott is a slowcoach, Hazell will cope with him all day. The only thing we may have to do is double up on Lee Martin because he is their best player by far...but having said that, maybe we shouldnt double up on them, we should just take the game to them and make them worry about us.

Come on lads!!!

But Charlton like that high ball to the far post, often Latics undoing and I suspect Charltons scouts will have noticed it.

But Charlton like that high ball to the far post, often Latics undoing and I suspect Charltons scouts will have noticed it.

Maybe so, but if they only play Abbott up top we should be able to pick up the 2nd ball easy enough...I would hope so anyway!

After watching the match yesterday i think without Gregan or Mvoto at the back i think we will be undone against strong big powerfull sides as our back four looks very small. We got caught out more than once against decent corners, free kicks before we scored. Abbott will do well against us and with the quality of Martin out wide i fear we may struggle.

I do believe though if we show the the same ammount of desire and work rate as we did yesterday we will give them just as many problems as well. Our midfield was outstanding.

I like the gung ho attitute of do or die. Yes go for it and there is higher than a 50% we will come away with nothing. Go for it, however, and we may just pull it off! Let's not forget the game against Charlton last season, although a good point, was the start of the negativity creeping in, and the inevitable slide down the league. My prediction is we will go all guns blazing and just miss out with a 3 2 loss!

The morale of the story is you don't know if you don't try :grin:

Edited by laticsmad

course we can win!!

it is time we all had the attitude of kieran lee 'we feel we can beat anyone and on our day we can, we fear no one'

exactly, why should we FEAR anyone? its all about the mental approach of players and as a team that leads to success, id say 70/30 mental ahead of ability.

Go in negatively minded and that is what you will gwt, go in positive and....

If we lose then we lose, all we know is that if that happens then whoever has played us will have had to play well to win and we will have gone down fighting, that will do for me.

3 points KTF

I think we're gonna get slaughtered to be honest. I'm really pleased with how we've started this season and we look an infinitely better side than last season. I just think going to the Valley and taking it to them might leave us a bit exposed and Charlton are a good enough team to take advantage of that. Furman and Stephens will have to be very busy in the midfield if we're to pull it off. I'm still going and I hope i'm wrong, but I think this could be where we are knocked back down to earth.

Could we do it?

I always have hope in any one off match. If we drew there last season and we're better this season, why the hell not?

The bigger question is "Could this attitude on the pitch deliver a promotion challenging side?". Early days yet, but if the confidence can continue to grow, the attitude remains and the ballplay becomes marginally sharper then there's a chance. For now I'll reserve judgement.

Could we do it?

I always have hope in any one off match. If we drew there last season and we're better this season, why the hell not?

The bigger question is "Could this attitude on the pitch deliver a promotion challenging side?". Early days yet, but if the confidence can continue to grow, the attitude remains and the ballplay becomes marginally sharper then there's a chance. For now I'll reserve judgement.

Whilst still a good team at league one Charlton are not the team they were last season, they have lost Richardson, Sodje, Bailey, Shelvey, Burton and Mooney. I dont see why we cant go there and pick something up. Hopefully get a decent following there like last year too.

Could we do it?

Looking at Charlton, they've had an iffy start and are far from unbeatable. Take the same attitudeas we've shown into that game and we certainly have a chance.

As for a promotion challenge, yes this attitude could help deliver a promotion challenge, in fact I'd say it's essential. But it is only part of what's needed - ultimately I think we lack the outright quality and squad depth to back that attitude up.

I will say one thing though. Before the season started I honestly had us down for relegation. It is VERY early days yet, and we have no way of knowing how PD and this squad would handle a prolonged succession of defeats, BUT if we can bag a bit of luck and maintain the attitude then we may escape the clutches of another desperate relegation struggle.

The thing that strikes me is the very low average age of the team. Whilst experience in the form of players like Gregan is essential, hopefully youthful exuberance will get enough points on the board early doors to enable El Capitano to get back to full fitness without being rushed.

The thing that strikes me is the very low average age of the team. Whilst experience in the form of players like Gregan is essential, hopefully youthful exuberance will get enough points on the board early doors to enable El Capitano to get back to full fitness without being rushed.

The ‘No-Fear’ factor? Not many of the side that starts on Sat will have started the game last season – without the stats to hand I guess at Brill, Reuben & Furman being the only ones?

It’ll be the unknown for the likes of Black & Bembo-Lita; playing at a ground like The Valley. Hopefully youthful exuberance will take over and we can continue the run.

Charlton shouldn’t be feared though; I wasn’t impressed with them from seeing the Leyton Orient game on Sky. Martin looked a threat, and Wagstaff showed flashes BUT they looked shaky at the back with the aging pair of Doherty & Dailey; and Llera wasn’t particularly impressive when he came on either. McCormack in the CM can IMO be got at; he’s very one paced now and looks to have lost his engine that made him a box to box type earlier in his career. Abbott as we know is never going to get in behind with his pace; so we already know what to expect up front. Francis at RB is solid enough and a decent signing for them but IMO they are considerably weaker than last season’s side. We should be going there for the 3 points – everything I’ve seen so far suggests to me we will do exactly that too.