Rochdale town centre secures £100m redevelopment cash

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-11174214

What are the chances of Oldham receiving similar investment in its town centre? Or has private industry, local and national government given up on us?

To be honest, Rochdale needs it more.

Oldham has decent shopping, new bus station and is getting Metrolink in to the town centre.

An M&S, cinema and a decent football stadium wouldn't go amiss though.

Edited by opinions4u

Oldham has decent shopping, new bus station and is getting Metrolink in to the town centre.

Yeah £100m would be welcome here, but Rochdale really is like Royston Vasey, the land that time forgot - far, far worse than Oldham. Scary place...

Guest Scratch2000uk

What's oldham got, that Rochdale wont have when this new re-development gets built.?

Seems to me, when it does happen we will be the :censored: hole of greater manchester. :ranting:

If, we are not quite there yet. :blush:

Good luck to them, I hope it isn't just visions and drawings that we get here in this town. <_<

:huh:

Agree. Think Oldham has weathered the recession quite well, especially in the face of increased competition from an improved Arndale, resurgent Ashton and booming Bury. But loss of Woolworths, Disney store and ELC is a major blow.

Something needs to be done in Oldham though to stop it stagnating/declining and improve it's image.

Agree. Think Oldham has weathered the recession quite well, especially in the face of increased competition from an improved Arndale, resurgent Ashton and booming Bury. But loss of Woolworths, Disney store and ELC is a major blow.

Something needs to be done in Oldham though to stop it stagnating/declining and improve it's image.

Go the same way as the football club and town share with Rochdale :lol:

This is old news, as there was a similar sized amount that was approved a couple of years back that we're still waiting to see take shape - all that's been done is the start of the extention on the college and a couple of signs about "the regeneration of rochdale." with no real action.

No matter how much money they throw at it. It wont replace the smackheads sat outside Marks and Spencers or the little muppets of falinge and the like trying to imtimidate old biddies via the jobcentre

with some of that money i think they need to make statue of cyril smith dale's loved mp who died this week rest in peace cyril i met him a few times ,once he came into my dads shop in drake street ,always had time to talk

You want it you can pay for it- I know of two Rochdale tax payers who would piss on him if he was on fire.

Well, it seems he tried to keep a local business in his constituency going - maybe for right our wrong, I don't know. I had temp work years later at TBA. Kiddy fiddling accusations - evidence? I have no idea if they had any foundation, but I would like to see some basis for them. Any single man in that era was open to, "queer," allegations, it's as likely as not that he didn't marry because he was a big fat ugly bastard and not a nonce.

Well, it seems he tried to keep a local business in his constituency going - maybe for right our wrong, I don't know. I had temp work years later at TBA. Kiddy fiddling accusations - evidence? I have no idea if they had any foundation, but I would like to see some basis for them. Any single man in that era was open to, "queer," allegations, it's as likely as not that he didn't marry because he was a big fat ugly bastard and not a nonce.

I would write quite a bit on that... but - it'd be pulled. My grandma was a nurse for 50 years in Rochdale. At Highfield, Springfield and Birch Hill. We were talking about him on saturday. Lots about his visits to hospitals. To be honest I believe what she had to say.

If a statue goes up - I have a feeling it'll be vandalised - probably by a 78 year old ex nurse.

Edited by pukka

I would write quite a bit on that... but - it'd be pulled. My grandma was a nurse for 50 years in Rochdale. At Highfield, Springfield and Birch Hill. We were talking about him on saturday. Lots about his visits to hospitals. To be honest I believe what she had to say.

If a statue goes up - I have a feeling it'll be vandalised - probably by a 78 year old ex nurse.

You can't get done for libel or slander against the dead!

:wink: