Peterborough United 5-2 Latics

The tv coverage calls for change at the back.

Gregan.

Despite Jarrett's ability on the floor, which will be missed, we shouldn't be second best in so many of the aerial battles.

On a plus side, the crosses from our full backs for the goals were excellent.

Edited by opinions4u

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we need a better goalkeeper, based on the highlights really. Whilst the loan market is still open we need to get a decent young keeper in, even if its back up for now. Can we rely on Brill's head to stay focussed, but can we then rely on Ollerenshaw or Gerrard?

Grim day to be a Tic

I think we need a better goalkeeper, based on the highlights really. Whilst the loan market is still open we need to get a decent young keeper in, even if its back up for now. Can we rely on Brill's head to stay focussed, but can we then rely on Ollerenshaw or Gerrard?

Grim day to be a Tic

While I do think that the back 5 need to get a grip on defending crosses, and Brill is part of that, this is more of a training ground issue than a replace the goalie issue.

I'm not totally convinced that the goalkeeper and his defenders know who is responsible for dealing with what. The fourth goal perhaps summed that up well.

But I doubt we'd be able to get somebody in who's better than Brill between the sticks - he worries the hell out of me at times, but he's having a good season on the whole and is certainly not the reason we lost 5-2 yesterday.

Looking at the squad sizes in the match programme, and Latics have about 10 more players on the books than Posh. We need to be offloading players, not bringing more in.

Which from listening from minute 1 to 90 on Latics player...is exactly what I thought...however, as I wasn't at the game, maybe I'm not allowed to comment...based on your earlier post that is...

Not sure if this is fishing so my point was that all the very negative posts from people not at the game were an uninformed reaction to a bad scoreline. Your take on the commentary which is still second hand is at least based on opinions from people watching. Anyone can comment but to start suggesting that a whole revamp is required(not you bb80)from a scoreline is a basically a bit silly

Not sure if this is fishing so my point was that all the very negative posts from people not at the game were an uninformed reaction to a bad scoreline. Your take on the commentary which is still second hand is at least based on opinions from people watching. Anyone can comment but to start suggesting that a whole revamp is required(not you bb80)from a scoreline is a basically a bit silly

all the negative comments yesterday were tottally unwarranted...facebook went into meltdown with anything from brills cack to dickov out...typical oldham etc etc...

i listened to commentry and seen the highlights...and to be honest im not unduely dissapointed,however i think we need a proper striker,and maybe offer this chilean a short term deal,6ft 5 defender who moves like usain bolt,handy at both ends

I don't like to bash players, and i was happy to give Brill a fresh start (and thought he'd been doing well) - but i thought two/possibly three of their goals today could have been prevented if he had left his line and punched the crosses away. The balls came right across his six yard box - to me that's his territory and he should have taken some pressure off the defence by dealing with them. Just an opinion like...

I don't like to bash players, and i was happy to give Brill a fresh start (and thought he'd been doing well) - but i thought two/possibly three of their goals today could have been prevented if he had left his line and punched the crosses away. The balls came right across his six yard box - to me that's his territory and he should have taken some pressure off the defence by dealing with them. Just an opinion like...

He's never going to be Peter Schmeichel though.

The coaches need to get on to this though - either he's expected to come for everything in that range, or he isn't. At the moment it looks like everybody, centre backs included, are standing still.

He's never going to be Peter Schmeichel though.

The coaches need to get on to this though - either he's expected to come for everything in that range, or he isn't. At the moment it looks like everybody, centre backs included, are standing still.

Most annoying thread of the season.

I accept people might be skint and can't afford all these games however if they had turned up today they would have had the pleasure of the most acoustic ground in the league with that covered terracing, that'd of helped the players & they'd of actually seen the game live.

As many have posted 5-2 wasn't a true reflection and we threw caution to the wind when 3-2 down by taking off a defender.

I was delighted and had the catalogue of errors for their first not happened we'd of drawn at least I'm sure.

Blame who you want for that goal but Jones was not tracking back, K Lee out of position, Hazell easily beaten in the air by a right short arse and Brill got a soft hand. Even had he parried Mackail-Smith would of scored as he was on top of him for me it was Lees fault.

Anyway onwards and upwards I'm glad the 1st defeat is over, I'm not sure where the goals will come from either, I really preferred Bembo & Tounkare to Feeney simply because they give him balls to chase and he doesn't have the wheels. He grafts but simply isn't fast enough, it's all we lack up front.

Smalley is an abomination it has to be said.

AS for the Gregan debate that strike force is awesome and would of raped his backside given his current fitness.

Season prediction 9th after lots of Keegan football.

I love it.

Edited by Omar Don't Scare

I wasn't there yesterday so won't comment on the performance, however Feeney will only bag us a few this season, we've lost our out n out striker to injury, still think the ~PNE keeper went in to end his career :ranting: I was more pissed off about losing 3-0 to Yeovil away last season than losing 5-2 yesterday, I also fully expect us to get hammered more than once this season as well, but, on the other side of the coin I expect we'll do some serious damage to other teams over the course of the season.....swings n roundabouts, unfair abuse to Brill as well, some folk just love to whinge n moan about anything and everything zzzzzzzzzzz

I accept people might be skint and can't afford all these games however if they had turned up today they would have had the pleasure of the most acoustic ground in the league with that covered terracing, that'd of helped the players & they'd of actually seen the game live.
Apparently it's the second biggest terrace left in the league!

As many have posted 5-2 wasn't a true reflection and we threw caution to the wind when 3-2 down by taking off a defender.
And I hope we continue to take the bold gamble again when a game is beginning to get away from us. Well done boss (but not Smalley next time, please).

I was delighted and had the catalogue of errors for their first not happened we'd of drawn at least I'm sure.
Still a damn fine cross.

Smalley is an abomination it has to be said.
I really do want him to succeed. I don't think he will.

AS for the Gregan debate that strike force is awesome and would of raped his backside given his current fitness.
Fair point.

Season prediction 9th after lots of Keegan football.

I love it.

Me too!

And I hope we continue to take the bold gamble again when a game is beginning to get away from us. Well done boss (but not Smalley next time, please).

Still a damn fine cross.

Fair point.

Me too!

We agreeing on something Jesus wept! :sign0068:

Still a damn fine cross.

Fair point.

Me too!

We agreeing on something Jesus wept! :sign0068:

oh and dickov stop sending me emails about the next game until you get it right lol

Dickov i cant say he did nothing wrong today as its the players on the pitch that kick the ball around.

his halftime team talk didnt do much. i would say johnsons was much better.

there have been far more depressing 2-0 defeats the difference being there was always hope yesterday, as for the lack of goals at least we're creating chances and scored 2 goals away from home unlike last season. The game was lost at the back, Jason Jarrett is not a centre back for my liking he's a ball player and the difference between him and other midfielders who have moved to centre back is that they have been ball winners

Surely the idea is to not let the game get away from you though...I just can't agree that at 2-0 we should still have been being "bold" and gambling...especially in that crucial period before halftime. I just don't accept that on getting such a lead, a team should still be hammering at it...at times, you've got to say right, we have to be a bit more defensive and play with caution. Otherwise, getting a lead and losing it could become a trend nobody wants. As i've said above, it's a learning curve for Dickov with his first real lesson yesterday. But results matter...I don't want 90mins of going for it when we're 2 up...would rather have a complete stalemate after that.

Surely the idea is to not let the game get away from you though...I just can't agree that at 2-0 we should still have been being "bold" and gambling...especially in that crucial period before halftime. I just don't accept that on getting such a lead, a team should still be hammering at it...at times, you've got to say right, we have to be a bit more defensive and play with caution. Otherwise, getting a lead and losing it could become a trend nobody wants. As i've said above, it's a learning curve for Dickov with his first real lesson yesterday. But results matter...I don't want 90mins of going for it when we're 2 up...would rather have a complete stalemate after that.

i agree with parts. at 40 mins 2-0 up we should have consolidated and gone in at 2-0 the goal came from there counter attack from us nearly going 3 up

First half we were decent, knocked the ball about well, 2 well worked goals, causing the Peterborough defence problems.. Defensively we werent too bad, although Mackail Smith looked dangerous all game.

Horrible goal to conceed before half time, I thought Brill should have come off his line to claim the cross.

2nd half we didnt turn up, when the 2nd went in we were beaten. After that our heads went and it was a matter of how many. Although in the handbags before their 2nd goal. Mclean took a blatant swing at Jones and should have gone - the linesmen must have saw it as Mclean was punished but with only a booking. He then headed home the long throw.

Positives, Tounkara held it up well gets better in each game but I dont think we'll get many goals out of him. Furman had a good game in midfield having to do the work of 2. Black had a good game, and Taylor performed better than he has in recent times.

Negatives, Defensively we were :censored:e, pissed about on the ball in dangerous positions (Kieran Lee- who had a steady game bar the mistake) Awful shanked clearances putting us under pressure. Dale Stephens won nothing all day, doesnt look fit and has gone off the boil completely.

Annoying how we literally handed the game on a plate to Peterborough with a shocking 2nd half display.

Edited by Butter