Peterborough United 5-2 Latics

cant believe some of the comments on here from people who clearly didnt attend the game. for a start brill wasnt at fault for any of the goals. gregan would have made a huge differnce today (if fit) and i wouldnt be at all suprised to see him start next week. on too many occasions jarret let it bounce or hesitated in getting the ball clear and rubes often divered instead of getting clear and he also had a hand in the 3rd goal due to being in lees way or vice verca and a lack of communication from the captian. everything peterborough did was long ball. we seemed to panic in defence. furman and stephens couldnt do there usual harrying and pressuring of the ball because they were bypassed. tounkara looked good again and feeney did well in parts but faded at the end but did very well for our 2nd goal. what a find wierd is that no body has mentioned that at 3-2 down we went 352 and didnt put taylor at left back as someone has said on here and then at 4-2 we went 343. ye ok the scoreline looks bad but we went for it thats why we conceded 5. its easy to keep it how it is at 3-2 down ask shez or penney but to actually go for it an throw caution to the wind takesa bit of balls and i would rather loose games 5-2 whilst having a go at it and throwing the kitchen sink at them than lose 3-2 and wonder what could have been. i enjoyed the day and enjoyed the game and that says a lot about the performance considering the score line

Am with you Buckers - bourne out by the fact that the majority of the fans stayed behind to clap them off !! the scoreline was much worse than the performance

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the peterborough fans on 606 think that we were dirty cheats who tried to get all their players sent off after we went 2-0 up. say we play like dickov did and deserved to lose.

and also that their manager is a god at half time team talks, their players are premiership class and they will stay top of the league for the rest of the season

the peterborough fans on 606 think that we were dirty cheats who tried to get all their players sent off after we went 2-0 up. say we play like dickov did and deserved to lose.

and also that their manager is a god at half time team talks, their players are premiership class and they will stay top of the league for the rest of the season

I think the last line says it all as the majority playing today got relegated last year, however maclean etc were kidding the ref all game, whilst leaving their foot in - they are a physical long ball team with a quality right winger and two good forwards. A quick Gregan would have coped well today unfortunately I don't think there is one in our squad ;)

Really enjoyed the day, despite the score.

First half Latics were excellent, but Posh and their three pronged attack were always a threat. Gutted we conceded just before half time.

There was a key turning point just prior to their equaliser. Jones lost it after a clash with one of their players, and while what followed was all handbags it totally and absolutely brought their team together. They weren't really fully in the game at that point, but the whole incident brought them together as a team and galvenised them.

There were one or two shoddy defensive moments which didn't help things, and we need to deal with crosses much better than we did, but I think Peterborough will power on from that game and (bold prediction time) they will walk this league.

By the way, their 4th and 5th were scored very late and the Posh fans I spoke to after a game knew that this was by no means a hammering dished out. It was a much closer game than that. A free kick at 2-2 that Lewis tipped over, and a couple of excellent left foot crosses from Tounkare that could easily have created goals at 2-3, and this could have been a different story.

As for the players:

Brill - I don't think I can blame him for the goals at all. Not even the first one which was a superb cross from Rowe.

Lee - at fault for one of the goals.

Black - defended well, provided options going forwards.

Jarrett - struggled second half big time.

Hazell - not his best game.

Taylor - scored, but offered little as a winger, rarely seeming to support the attack. Not an outlet second half when we needed him to be.

Jones - scored, seemed to play well, but I do think his petulance (regardless of any justification) was a turning point and Latics players were calming him, not supporting him.

Furman - decent first half, involved second half, but found it much tougher as Posh battled harder.

Stephens - similar to Furman.

Tounkare - I thought he had an excellent game, held the ball up well and his crossing from the left was a massive threat.

Feeney - worked the channels hard, but I do worry that Feeney / Tonk are too similar: who will score the goals?

Smalley - one great chance to play an early ball in to the strikers wasted, when he chose to run to the corner flag where he lost possession.

Kelly - didn't notice him.

Despite the scoreline, I still think there is a lot to take from the performance along with the lessons learned by players and manager. For Dickov, what's the plan to strengthen the midfield when it starts to struggle? Sacrifice a winger (e.g. bring Jones central) or by-pass it with hoofball? You need a plan for this one.

A lot of the posts from those who weren't at the game are excessively critical. Young team, played superbly first half, but simply not good enough to hold on to it against one of the best sides in the division.

Edited by opinions4u

Were any of the critics actually at the game today because most of what I have read is utter tosh?

Peterborough are a strong good side, PB Goal 2 came after the fracas and we switched off when their guy hurled a Rory Delap like Throw in into the area

Goal 3 came from a mistake from Kieron Lee who before and after had a good game - but should have known better and he was punished by a great finish unfortunately.

Goal 4 was a free header from a corner which we should have done better from - heads were down and we were chasing the game

Goal 5 was a mis-timed tackle.

Goal 3 took the wind out of our sails however we continued attacking and created chances but inevitably got caught on the counter.

Post-Mortems of our season are not required at this stage or are you all just looking at something to moan at!

Eggactly, LMAO at the over reaction, we played them off the park in the first half, their late goal just before HT killed it. We made individual errors but still went for it and got caught out. We're a team of kids with a young manager we'll learn from it. Or perhaps you doom and gloomers would have preferred an honourable 2-0 defeat like at Leeds, Norwich, Hudfdersfield, Millwall etc.???? Bollocks to that. Go for it, you get a pasting every now and again but we've hit mid-Sept and lost ONE game. Sheff Wed have lost two ALREADY. We've a tough run but fook me too many people want to condemn but don't even go to the games. I've spoken to 6 or 7 people that went today and they all say the same, we played very well, individual mistakes cost us against the best attacking team in the league. :censored: happens get over it bring on ballmouth!!!

To much trying to play thier way out of trouble in thier own half just hoof it

Feeney won't score many this season still don't look fully fit with all his globe trotting he is doing

Tonk was by far the best player some great little crosses from the left no big centre orward to nod them in

If only they could have held out until half time without leetibg one in after that it was painful to watch.

Black played well Jarrett faded Brill despite 5 goals so OK

Good beer in Oundle before and after

Eggactly, LMAO at the over reaction, we played them off the park in the first half, their late goal just before HT killed it. We made individual errors but still went for it and got caught out. We're a team of kids with a young manager we'll learn from it. Or perhaps you doom and gloomers would have preferred an honourable 2-0 defeat like at Leeds, Norwich, Hudfdersfield, Millwall etc.???? Bollocks to that. Go for it, you get a pasting every now and again but we've hit mid-Sept and lost ONE game. Sheff Wed have lost two ALREADY. We've a tough run but fook me too many people want to condemn but don't even go to the games. I've spoken to 6 or 7 people that went today and they all say the same, we played very well, individual mistakes cost us against the best attacking team in the league. :censored: happens get over it bring on ballmouth!!!

this and o4u's assesment will do for me. bring on Bournemouth! Some people can get carried away with us lying in 3rd. Long way to go yet and still sounds like a marked improvement over last season

Feeney won't score many this season still don't look fully fit with all his globe trotting he is doing

Tonk was by far the best player some great little crosses from the left no big centre orward to nod them in

If only they could have held out until half time without leetibg one in after that it was painful to watch.

Agree with most of what you've written. Caution on the "hoof" idea.

We did create a couple of problems for ourselves with mis-hit clearances that went about 2 feet, and I accept Lee's error was a poor one. But I would much rather we knocked the ball around as we have tried to for much of the season, rather than resorting to the hoof. If a desperate clearance is called for, by all means hoof it. But the rest of the time, pass it around and keep possession.

Tonk is our big centre forward and the likes of Taylor should be banging the crosses in for him!

Tonk is our big centre forward and the likes of Taylor should be banging the crosses in for him!

Taylor was no where near today.

no one really managed to keep up with Tonk no wide man to slip it to

Like to see Tonk turn inside instead of turning away from goal could have a crack himslf or could be a candidate for a penalty if he twisted and turned in the area.

Oldham player-manager Paul Dickov told BBC Radio Manchester:

"We were 2-0 up and we thought we were playing reasonably well, every time we attacked we looked a threat I think they struggled to cope with us.

"We felt we were fairly comfortable first-half and we told them at half-time to do the basic things right. If we had done that today we would have had a good chance to win the game.

"Every single one of my players is better than what they showed today."

Slightly harsh Paul.

wankers

Am with you Buckers - bourne out by the fact that the majority of the fans stayed behind to clap them off !! the scoreline was much worse than the performance

Which from listening from minute 1 to 90 on Latics player...is exactly what I thought...however, as I wasn't at the game, maybe I'm not allowed to comment...based on your earlier post that is...

Edited by boundaryblue80

Really enjoyed the day, despite the score.

First half Latics were excellent, but Posh and their three pronged attack were always a threat. Gutted we conceded just before half time.

There was a key turning point just prior to their equaliser. Jones lost it after a clash with one of their players, and while what followed was all handbags it totally and absolutely brought their team together. They weren't really fully in the game at that point, but the whole incident brought them together as a team and galvenised them.There were one or two shoddy defensive moments which didn't help things, and we need to deal with crosses much better than we did, but I think Peterborough will power on from that game and (bold prediction time) they will walk this league.

By the way, their 4th and 5th were scored very late and the Posh fans I spoke to after a game knew that this was by no means a hammering dished out. It was a much closer game than that. A free kick at 2-2 that Lewis tipped over, and a couple of excellent left foot crosses from Tounkare that could easily have created goals at 2-3, and this could have been a different story.

As for the players:

Brill - I don't think I can blame him for the goals at all. Not even the first one which was a superb cross from Rowe.

Lee - at fault for one of the goals.

Black - defended well, provided options going forwards.

Jarrett - struggled second half big time.

Hazell - not his best game.

Taylor - scored, but offered little as a winger, rarely seeming to support the attack. Not an outlet second half when we needed him to be.

Jones - scored, seemed to play well, but I do think his petulance (regardless of any justification) was a turning point and Latics players were calming him, not supporting him.

Furman - decent first half, involved second half, but found it much tougher as Posh battled harder.

Stephens - similar to Furman.

Tounkare - I thought he had an excellent game, held the ball up well and his crossing from the left was a massive threat.

Feeney - worked the channels hard, but I do worry that Feeney / Tonk are too similar: who will score the goals?

Smalley - one great chance to play an early ball in to the strikers wasted, when he chose to run to the corner flag where he lost possession.

Kelly - didn't notice him.

Despite the scoreline, I still think there is a lot to take from the performance along with the lessons learned by players and manager. For Dickov, what's the plan to strengthen the midfield when it starts to struggle? Sacrifice a winger (e.g. bring Jones central) or by-pass it with hoofball? You need a plan for this one.

A lot of the posts from those who weren't at the game are excessively critical. Young team, played superbly first half, but simply not good enough to hold on to it against one of the best sides in the division.

Which from listening from minute 1 to 90 on Latics player...is exactly what I thought...however, as I wasn't at the game, maybe I'm not allowed to comment...

Just seen the goals conceded...hmmm...

Goal 1 - Far, far too much room on the wing for that cross. Lee? I'd like to see it again, but I really don't think that's Brills to go for. Many defenders there to deal with it.

Goal 2 - Nice, can't say a lot about it really. Good goal.

Goal 3 - Little needs saying...our best player so far this season has had a mare but I'd wager that todays a rarity, as he's a cracking player (and put in a peach of a cross for Taylors goal.)

Goal 4 - How not to defend a corner...counted 7 white statues

Goal 5 - Penalty - Looked like Hazell wins the ball, just that it was a crunching tackle...in past years, that would've been a fine tackle but the game doesn't like these meaty challenges anymore.

Not sure he should have given the penalty but I would have to see it with a better angle to make my mind up.

However, yet again we have people talking about Taylor should stay wide, funny if he had stayed wide he wouldn't have scored that good header but no he's a winger and his job is to get crosses into the box for a guy that missed an easy header last week :unsure:

Sweet suffering Jesus, what was Lee doing for the third goal? He's had a great start to the season but he does have a worrying tendency to fall asleep at unfortunate times. After what Gerry Taggart said in the week about taking it personally when defenders play badly, he must have torn Lee a new arsehole after that.

Sweet suffering Jesus, what was Lee doing for the third goal? He's had a great start to the season but he does have a worrying tendency to fall asleep at unfortunate times. After what Gerry Taggart said in the week about taking it personally when defenders play badly, he must have torn Lee a new arsehole after that.

not too much i hope,apart from the mistake had a good game