A pageful of memories

Back in our promotion season - 1974 (I think), Bill Cranston.....a sprightly, no nonsense centre half in an away match against 'Dale which we were easily winning decided to play hoof ball for about 5 minutes and proceeded to launch ball after ball out of the ground. If memory serves me correct, the ref had to stop the game for a couple of minutes because all the balls were in Spotland car park.

Who remembers one side of Spotland having a load of doors nailed to a bit of of ratty old timber instead of a wall/fence?

Bluddy hell, I'm starting to feel old!!!

I remember Bill Cranston, he played in the first game I ever attended, I wasn't at the particular game you mention but I do recall Cranston doing that, just kicking the ball really high (proper hoofball style) in other games.

Edited by Hometownclub

I've no idea...maybe someone else can shed some more light?

His autobiography (One Neil Redfearn, I think) is very interesting to start with but after the 17th 'I'd had a good season but felt the manager didn't appreciate me, so had to move on for a nice signing on fee' it does start to wear a bit...

What we need is a team of proper sounding blokes, not the likes of a Dean or a Keiran or a Dale, summat like this lot.......

Jack Hacking

Charlie Ferguson Eric Braidwood Charlie Hurst Dick Duckworth

Billy Spurdle Alf Ainsworth Syd Goodfellow Billy Jeavons

Joe Wiggins Norrie Alden

Names that roll off the tongue and a team to get behind!!!