A pageful of memories

Nice to look up some old Latics players, brings back some memories doesn't it ...what's yours of these players?

Latics players past and present

sooooperb... :applause1:

to start with...

Redfearn's last season with Oldham constituted a career highlight as he was an ever-present in the team that won the Second Division title and returned the Latics to the top-flight of English football after a gap of 68 years. Redfearn converted the injury time penalty in the final game of the season against Sheffield Wednesday that completed a 3-2 victory (after Oldham had trailed 2-0), and snatched the championship from West Ham, who had prematurely been handed the trophy some 15 minutes earlier.

Despite his contribution to Oldham's promotion, he became surplus to requirements with the re-signing of former club captain Mike Milligan from Everton in the off-season and Redfearn was transferred without playing for Oldham in the top-flight

anybody else think Joe was a bit premature letting Neil go when he did...?

sooooperb... :applause1:

to start with...

Redfearn's last season with Oldham constituted a career highlight as he was an ever-present in the team that won the Second Division title and returned the Latics to the top-flight of English football after a gap of 68 years. Redfearn converted the injury time penalty in the final game of the season against Sheffield Wednesday that completed a 3-2 victory (after Oldham had trailed 2-0), and snatched the championship from West Ham, who had prematurely been handed the trophy some 15 minutes earlier.

Despite his contribution to Oldham's promotion, he became surplus to requirements with the re-signing of former club captain Mike Milligan from Everton in the off-season and Redfearn was transferred without playing for Oldham in the top-flight

anybody else think Joe was a bit premature letting Neil go when he did...?

Yup, but wasn't there a big fall out between the two of them...

The indomitable Les Chapman...

In December 1974, he returned to Oldham Athletic, now in Division Four. He stayed at the club for the next four and a half years, during which they climbed back up to the Second Division. Chapman missed only five games during that time and it came as a surprise to many when he left at the end of the 1978–79 season. In total, he made 263 league appearances for Oldham Athletic and scored 20 times.

I remember refusing to renew my ST on the back of him leaving...what a :censored:...me not Les... :lol:

Cant see Ian Wood or Mauruce Whittle one of the best Latics full back pairings, someone should create Wikipedia pages of these legends - and a lot more too.

just about to mention that about Maurice....and no Ian Wood!!...captain and long serving player...thats shocking :shock:

like you said a few more missing....Gary Williams and his dad for 2

Anyone can create and amend a Wikipedia page (which is why they are are not all totally reliable), perhaps some OWTB fans can add some of their favourites to the list ?

Anyone can create and amend a Wikipedia page (which is why they are are not all totally reliable)

Not true. It's a fallacy that it is so unreliable. It's clearly not 100% bang on however, what is? Due to it's collaborative nature, page vandalism is usually repaired very quickly, so quick in fact that it's hardly noticable.

Wikipedia isn't 100% accurate and unbiased - almost no source of information is. However, if a Wikipedia entry meets some basic quality requirements it is likely to be as reliable as just about any other source of on-line or printed information.

Not true. It's a fallacy that it is so unreliable. It's clearly not 100% bang on however, what is? Due to it's collaborative nature, page vandalism is usually repaired very quickly, so quick in fact that it's hardly noticable.

Wikipedia isn't 100% accurate and unbiased - almost no source of information is. However, if a Wikipedia entry meets some basic quality requirements it is likely to be as reliable as just about any other source of on-line or printed information.

I bet you are fun at parties! :wink:

Andy Linighan;

"before retiring completely from the game to run his own plumbing business"

7 years at Arsenal, a player in that situation today would be a millionaire.

Tom Finney was one of the best players in the world and then started his own plumbing buisness when he retired, that is the equivalent of Ryan Giggs starting his own company now to earn much needed extra cash.

Back in our promotion season - 1974 (I think), Bill Cranston.....a sprightly, no nonsense centre half in an away match against 'Dale which we were easily winning decided to play hoof ball for about 5 minutes and proceeded to launch ball after ball out of the ground. If memory serves me correct, the ref had to stop the game for a couple of minutes because all the balls were in Spotland car park.

Who remembers one side of Spotland having a load of doors nailed to a bit of of ratty old timber instead of a wall/fence?

Bluddy hell, I'm starting to feel old!!!

Back in our promotion season - 1974 (I think), Bill Cranston.....a sprightly, no nonsense centre half in an away match against 'Dale which we were easily winning decided to play hoof ball for about 5 minutes and proceeded to launch ball after ball out of the ground. If memory serves me correct, the ref had to stop the game for a couple of minutes because all the balls were in Spotland car park.

Who remembers one side of Spotland having a load of doors nailed to a bit of of ratty old timber instead of a wall/fence?

Bluddy hell, I'm starting to feel old!!!

I remember Bill Cranston well...a bit like Julian Baudet wasn't he?

Who would have dreamed 36 years on Rochdale would have a fine stadium and Latics a 3 sided eyesore.

Edited by BP1960

The indomitable Les Chapman...

In December 1974, he returned to Oldham Athletic, now in Division Four. He stayed at the club for the next four and a half years, during which they climbed back up to the Second Division. Chapman missed only five games during that time and it came as a surprise to many when he left at the end of the 1978–79 season. In total, he made 263 league appearances for Oldham Athletic and scored 20 times.

I remember refusing to renew my ST on the back of him leaving...what a :censored:...me not Les... :lol:

I'm pretty sure that we were in Division Two in December 1974. In fact, that was the month a certain team came to town and were sent packing, courtesy of a Maurice Whittle penalty. :)