Ernieflag at Sheff Wednesday

With yesterday being the first trip to Hillsborough in 5 years, it was the first visit for the flag.

Those who went might have noticed that it was not up in the ground. A full explanation is included within the report that's now online.

Sheff Wed

iT'S A BIT STRANGE THEN THAT THE OFFICIAL PROGRAMME HAD AN ARTICLE ABOUT THE HISTORY OF IT!!

That's disgraceful. I can see why Sheffield Wednesday, of all clubs, would want to be hyper-vigilant on health and safety (albeit 20 odd years too late), but i can't think for the life of me why you would need a fire certificate to display a flag. The only way fire legislation would be in any way relevant would be if they told you to not block exits/walkways/steps or obscure signs with it (and after 2 years i'm sure you've got the sense to not do that anyway), but there's no good reason for asking you to personally have a fire certificate.The shirts people were wearing would be more flammable than the flag. Sounds like some over-officious jobsworth on a power trip.

Edited by rosa

That's disgraceful. I can see why Sheffield Wednesday, of all clubs, would want to be hyper-vigilant on health and safety (albeit 20 odd years too late), but i can't think for the life of me why you would need a fire certificate to display a flag. The only way fire legislation would be in any way relevant would be if they told you to not block exits/walkways/steps or obscure signs with it (and after 2 years i'm sure you've got the sense to not do that anyway), but there's no good reason for asking you to personally have a fire certificate.The shirts people were wearing would be more flammable than the flag. Sounds like some over-officious jobsworth on a power trip.

Its not the stewards fault just the rules. Does seem like health and safety gone mad again.

iT'S A BIT STRANGE THEN THAT THE OFFICIAL PROGRAMME HAD AN ARTICLE ABOUT THE HISTORY OF IT!!

Thanks for that info. I write to all new clubs about the Flag but not all of them print it. When I flicked through someone's programme on Tuesday night I didn't spot it.

I received a reply to my request to print the story of the Flag in the programme in the form of a request for my phone number, which I supplied. However, I did not receive any phone call and no advance warning was given about the need for a fire certificate.

Certain grounds do make a point of it, sure MK is another one?

Advance warning was given by MK Dons and the matter resolved satisfactorily.

I am not amused at all.....

I am actually in one of the piccies in the report - not looking my finest.

Did you have my permission?........... :grin:

Let you off

Don't worry Underdog, I'll make sure that Crimewatch don't get hold of the photos.

On a positive note, I have now received an apology from the Stadium Operations Manager at Wednesday explaining that a breakdown in communications was to blame for us not being allowed to display the flag. It seemed a heartfelt apology and they also passed on their best wishes to all our supports and Ernie's family and friends.

Edited by Latics & England