If you're not going to Southampton.....

I did wonder if it was him when i saw the scorers on the results. Scored with his first touch? Sounds like the goal poacher we so desperately need at the moment...

:lol:

If you've seen him recently...

"For £10 entrance fee; I was entertained & impressed with the football played."

That's non-league football for you. You feel much better going into a game for single figure notes and being able to pop for a pint in the clubhouse if the game is :censored:. The only problem is getting to the places. They are by nature small towns at best, and therefore the public transport is poor.

Went to watch Droylsden - they won 3-0 Vs Barwell (Evo-stick league side; 2 divisions below 'The Bloods').

Have to say I was really impressed; the standard was alot higher than I thought it would be - the style of play from both sides was on the deck, 1 & 2 touch passes; with some really nice touches from some of the players.

I went as a very interested viewer to see what the player BP1960 has raved about was like. And I can report; Luke Holden; meh. For those who haven't seen him; basically think Joe Colbeck, with a (slightly) better 1st touch. Blind alley runs, and hit & miss crosses until he was subbed - oh, and a show of petulance as he was walking off whilst being subbed got himself booked too; no mean feat!

The 1 Bloods player i was impressed with was the right winger wo played #9; Ciaran Kilheeney. He scored the 3rd goal and was a constant threat all game.

For Barwell; their tall, half-cast central midfielder who played #11 had a great game & impressed me all match. They (Barwell) were in the game throughout; matching Droylsden in all areas; but just lacking a goal threat to match their possession.

For £10 entrance fee; I was entertained & impressed with the football played. You know what, if we draw them in the 1st round; they'll give us a game!

EDIT: Oh yeah - a very fat David McNiven scored the 2nd with a header; his 1st touch after coming on as a sub - chubby!!!!!

You are entitled to your opinion (and you may be right), but having seen Holden take many defences apart, I know he would scare the life out of any of the of Latics full backs if he got the chance. (maybe he will in the FA Cup 2nd round if both teams get through).

After his exploits this season he is very much a marked man and has been subjected to some ruthless tackling, and you can't tell me Chris Taylor has never run into blind alleys and shown petulance.

Championship club Coventry City were keen to sign him last season, but the move apparently fell though due to terms which could not be agreed.

I also understand he may be soon called up to the England C team after a fine performance in a recent representative game.

Kilheeney has been around for a long time and is a prolific goal scorer at that level, however I believe he left Southport as he doesn't want to play full time.

The Barwell No. 11 did have a good left foot, but for his size I thought he lacked a bit physically. Having seen him once though he showed enough to merit following up.

Edited by BP1960

Went to watch Droylsden - they won 3-0 Vs Barwell (Evo-stick league side; 2 divisions below 'The Bloods').

Have to say I was really impressed; the standard was alot higher than I thought it would be - the style of play from both sides was on the deck, 1 & 2 touch passes; with some really nice touches from some of the players.

I went as a very interested viewer to see what the player BP1960 has raved about was like. And I can report; Luke Holden; meh. For those who haven't seen him; basically think Joe Colbeck, with a (slightly) better 1st touch. Blind alley runs, and hit & miss crosses until he was subbed - oh, and a show of petulance as he was walking off whilst being subbed got himself booked too; no mean feat!

The 1 Bloods player i was impressed with was the right winger wo played #9; Ciaran Kilheeney. He scored the 3rd goal and was a constant threat all game.

For Barwell; their tall, half-cast central midfielder who played #11 had a great game & impressed me all match. They (Barwell) were in the game throughout; matching Droylsden in all areas; but just lacking a goal threat to match their possession.

For £10 entrance fee; I was entertained & impressed with the football played. You know what, if we draw them in the 1st round; they'll give us a game!

EDIT: Oh yeah - a very fat David McNiven scored the 2nd with a header; his 1st touch after coming on as a sub - chubby!!!!!

typical oldham fan. sees a player once and knows how good is, and ever will be.

i roll my eyes and sigh.

typical oldham fan. sees a player once and knows how good is, and ever will be.

i roll my eyes and sigh.

Keep those eyes rolling then......

I’ve watched enough football over the years; at a variety of different levels & in a variety of different countries (have you seen a game from the Bulgarian 3rd division??) to have an opinion of a player from 80 minutes of football. That can change over time granted; but as initial instincts go; I’m not usually that far off. My initial opinion of this lad; Holden, is that BP1960 has seen something that I really can’t see. So; yeah – I’ve seen him and don’t see the fuss; as I said; a (very) lower league winger doing what I’d expect him to do – blind alleys and poor crosses intermixed with busts of pace and the odd good touch; about right for the level he plies his trade at. BP1960 has an opinion that the lad would get into our side & make a difference – I have an opinion that he wouldn’t; and that he is absolutely no better than Colbeck was; or Smalley is; and he certainly isn’t a better option than Jones or Allessandra IMO.

So; yeah – there you go.

Oh, and while we’re at it; spoke to Blood fan about Holden at HT whilst I was in the pie queue; and his trial / time at Charlton ended due to attitude issues (granted according to chap i spoke too) & also the Droylsden players are pretty well paid for their level; on top of their normal line of work; he’d almost certainly have to take a hefty cut to join us as a club with the wage we’d be able to offer an unproven Non-league player...... – Considering we’ve just fired off Dikaba for an attitude that was likely to upset the great team-spirit at the club at present; would we really take a big gamble on a player from Non-League who has a ‘tude problem & is very much unproven when wages are so tight & so precarious at present at the club???

All this is my opinion having seen him play – If you’ve seen him play; then we can have a debate about his relative merits & pitfalls – but until you have; back in your box trying to moderate people opinions...........

I’ve watched enough football over the years; at a variety of different levels & in a variety of different countries (have you seen a game from the Bulgarian 3rd division??) to have an opinion of a player from 80 minutes of football. That can change over time granted; but as initial instincts go; I’m not usually that far off. My initial opinion of this lad; Holden, is that BP1960 has seen something that I really can’t see. So; yeah – I’ve seen him and don’t see the fuss; as I said; a (very) lower league winger doing what I’d expect him to do – blind alleys and poor crosses intermixed with busts of pace and the odd good touch; about right for the level he plies his trade at. BP1960 has an opinion that the lad would get into our side & make a difference – I have an opinion that he wouldn’t; and that he is absolutely no better than Colbeck was; or Smalley is; and he certainly isn’t a better option than Jones or Allessandra IMO.

So; yeah – there you go.

Oh, and while we’re at it; spoke to Blood fan about Holden at HT whilst I was in the pie queue; and his trial / time at Charlton ended due to attitude issues (granted according to chap i spoke too) & also the Droylsden players are pretty well paid for their level; on top of their normal line of work; he’d almost certainly have to take a hefty cut to join us as a club with the wage we’d be able to offer an unproven Non-league player...... – Considering we’ve just fired off Dikaba for an attitude that was likely to upset the great team-spirit at the club at present; would we really take a big gamble on a player from Non-League who has a ‘tude problem & is very much unproven when wages are so tight & so precarious at present at the club???

All this is my opinion having seen him play – If you’ve seen him play; then we can have a debate about his relative merits & pitfalls – but until you have; back in your box trying to moderate people opinions...........

I agree it's all about opinions - and I have been wrong on many occasions, the thing is no one will ever know how good he is until he has played at a higher level, a good comparison is Lee Trundle, who if he hadn't scored a hat trick against Wrexham in a Welsh Cup tie would probably never played league football in his whole career. Latics could easliy have picked him up when he was at Chorley, Southport or Stalybridge Celtic for instance.

I think most of us agree about Colbeck though, who is BTW still playing regular league football.

Edited by BP1960

Was surprised with some of the players who were at Darlington at the weekend. Marc Bridge-Wilkinson, could have been a Latics player? I think he may have found his level in the Blue Square Premier, he didn't have a great game against Mossley at all. Tommy Wright was another but he looked a player who could finish well.

I agree it's all about opinions - and I have been wrong on many occasions, the thing is no one will ever know how good he is until he has played at a higher level, a good comparison is Lee Trundle, who if he hadn't scored a hat trick against Wrexham in a Welsh Cup tie would probably never played league football in his whole career. Latics could easliy have picked him up when he was at Chorley, Southport or Stalybridge Celtic for instance.

I think most of us agree about Colbeck though, who is BTW still playing regular league football.

Just to clear up; My response wasn’t necessarily aimed at you BP; t’was for Daz.

I think it’s a difficult one in terms of citing whether Non-League players could / should be given chances at league clubs. As I say, in this particular instance; I happen to think the lad in question isn’t necessarily all that cop; but as you have said in terms of if you don’t try you’ll never know – for the sake of the phone calls & paperwork involved; would it be worthwhile to give him a go in a reserve game? Possibly so unless said calls & paperwork would be too troublesome and expensive etc.

As for a league club taking a chance – in Holden’s case; 3 league clubs already have down the line in his career. Liverpool & Tranmere in his youth (released by both) and Charlton last season (3 month loan). At the end of his Charlton loan; he was back at Rhyl – and he went from Rhyl to Wrexham after that; then onto Droylsden after Wrexham failed to offer him a new deal. So my point is that; whilst you say it just needs a league side to take a chance / a gamble sometimes on players like Holden; my point is that 3 already have; one as recently as last season. They (Charlton) had him at their club for 12 weeks; and yet they were happy to send him back to Rhyl even though they had the option of extending the deal. So, what i’m saying is; it’s not like he’s been in non-league without ever having had a chance – he’s had 3; one ‘golden one’ as recently as last season.

As I say; if he does turn out to get a trial with us; does well, impresses & is offered a deal – fair play to lad and as soon as he’s a signed up Latics player – I’d back him to the hilt. I just don’t happen to think he’s got anything different to anything we have already (or had,in the case of Colbeck). But; that’s just my opinion.

When spotting a player a young player at a lower level I tried to envisage a couple of years ahead at what he could be like with improved coaching and full time training.

For example players like Tony Ellis and Tony Naylor fell into this category for me, when they were teenagers in Sunday pub leagues they were far from impressive in many judges eyes, but I felt they had some special qualities to work on.

Potential is what I am really looking for, currently centre back Aden Flint of Ait hasn'teton is one I would like to see develop given full time facilities.

On the flip side there are players who had great potential, but it hasn't been realised, it happens even with Premiership youth stars.

Edited by BP1960

So; yeah – there you go.

Picking up on this, I do know how much Ernie was on during his time here, when he moved up,a nd Ithink it well docmentted he took an overall pay cut to play for us and realise his pro contract League dream, a mark of the man.

Just one question maybe BP1960 can confirm, when tthey refer to the wages per week, is that for 52 weeks, or for the season ie no money during the summer break?

THe reason I ask is it has always struck me as strange to not state the yearly salary as a contracted person, pretty much like everyone else.

THe per hours wage is for those that get paid jsut that, the hours that they work.

So; yeah – there you go.

obviously youre a highly prized and paid scout, sorry mate.

Picking up on this, I do know how much Ernie was on during his time here, when he moved up,a nd Ithink it well docmentted he took an overall pay cut to play for us and realise his pro contract League dream, a mark of the man.

Just one question maybe BP1960 can confirm, when tthey refer to the wages per week, is that for 52 weeks, or for the season ie no money during the summer break?

THe reason I ask is it has always struck me as strange to not state the yearly salary as a contracted person, pretty much like everyone else.

THe per hours wage is for those that get paid jsut that, the hours that they work.

It depends on the contract, some are seasonal and expire in June, these days short term contracts of 6 months and even less aren't unusual.

I remember in the old days one great international asked for a pay rise and was told "yes, but you get nothing in the summer as you don't train and play then".

BTW Sly give an honest opinion which I respect and he could well be proved right, in this game some come off some don't. Latics took a chance on Dean Kelly and I admit I would have done the same.

Edited by BP1960