That was poor today

Really dissapointed with Dickov's game plan after going a goal up today. We played like a Dave Penny team after scoring. No ambition and let Southampton pass pass pass just waiting for the inevitable equiliser. What made it more dissapointing was that Southampton i feel were there for the taking if we actually had a go. 2nd half and more of the same just waiting for them to take the lead sitting deeper and deeper. Then once it went 2-1 we start having a go again and Taylor nearly snatched an equaliser with a last minute header..

kelly did more in 10 mins than Feeney did all game. Dale was poor again as was Jones.... Positives were Furman + Mvoto

Really dissapointed with Dickov's game plan after going a goal up today. We played like a Dave Penny team after scoring. No ambition and let Southampton pass pass pass just waiting for the inevitable equiliser. What made it more dissapointing was that Southampton i feel were there for the taking if we actually had a go. 2nd half and more of the same just waiting for them to take the lead sitting deeper and deeper. Then once it went 2-1 we start having a go again and Taylor nearly snatched an equaliser with a last minute header..

kelly did more in 10 mins than Feeney did all game. Dale was poor again as was Jones.... Positives were Furman + Mvoto

has anyone from management noticed that the midfield men and not the strikers are scoring what few goals we are getting,

thats just not right.

has anyone from management noticed that the midfield men and not the strikers are scoring what few goals we are getting,

thats just not right.

Tonk is good but we need somebody to play off him. I think they should give Kelly a game. Feeney i have seen have one shot in the 5 or 6 games he has played this season, not impressed with what is probably one of if not the highest earner

Time to be looking at bringing in a goal scoring striker, I mentioned Billy Paynter on another thread as worth an enquiry to take on loan.

been saying it for weeks..the amount of chances we create deserves a decent striker on the end of them,feeneys shown nothing to justify coming straight back into a squad,biggest mistake of season so far....the only thing keeping us out the yop 6 is a goal scorer...

been saying it for weeks..the amount of chances we create deserves a decent striker on the end of them,feeneys shown nothing to justify coming straight back into a squad,biggest mistake of season so far....the only thing keeping us out the yop 6 is a goal scorer...

Paynter is just back from injury and I'm told playing well in Leeds reserves, so now is the ideal time to bring him in on loan.

Edited by BP1960

Didn't go today so can't really comment on the performnce but Southampton were everyone's favourites to win the league at the start of it and are still a pretty strong outfit.

Agree with that but i think we could have beaten them today had we have showed ambition rather than settling for our 1 goal as soon as we got it. Had we have got to half time maybe it would have been differant but there just seemed to be an inevitability about the result after we had scored

Edited by NIKI1234

Time to be looking at bringing in a goal scoring striker, I mentioned Billy Paynter on another thread as worth an enquiry to take on loan.

We ain't gonna get Billy Paynter, mate. He's on his way back from injury and Leeds will want to give him a proper run out they only signed him in the summer. If there was a sniff of him being available on loan another League One team would snap him up Swindon/Colchester/Southampton/Charlton/Plymouth, all could pay a higher wage contribution than us, he's at Leeds, he won't be on peanuts.

A short possibility, albeit more likely than Paynter would be Paul Heffernan, granted he only signed for Wednesday in the summer too, but he's not getting much of a look in other than a few sub appearance, they have Clinton Morrison, Marcus Tudgay and Neil Mellor all above him. Again, wages won't be cheap, but he's more likely to be available than Paynter, and cheaper too.

Edited by PlayItLivo

We ain't gonna get Billy Paynter, mate. He's on his way back from injury and Leeds will want to give him a proper run out they only signed him in the summer. If there was a sniff of him being available on loan another League One team would snap him up Swindon/Colchester/Southampton/Charlton/Plymouth, all could pay a higher wage contribution than us, he's at Leeds, he won't be on peanuts.

A short possibility, albeit more likely than Paynter would be Paul Heffernan, granted he only signed for Wednesday in the summer too, but he's not getting much of a look in other than a few sub appearance, they have Clinton Morrison, Marcus Tudgay and Neil Mellor all above him. Again, wages won't be cheap, but he's more likely to be available than Paynter, and cheaper too.

I would sooner splash a bit extra on taking Paynter on loan until January, his goals would boost crowds and recoup the money.

Without a doubt Dickov dropped a clanger today. Not sure why he changed a team that had played well for the last two games.

Black had a mare against a pretty average right winger.

We finished with Kelly and Feeney up front - neither of which have scored for us so far this season. I would actually put £5 on neither of them doing so for the rest of this term. Feeney has to pick his game up - probably one of our top earners, but absolutely no evidence of why, so far.

Jones - IMO responsible for the second goal. 3 on 2 in attack in Latics favour, yet an awful ball into the box straight into the 'keepers arms. Ball straight up the pitch; Roobs foul; Free-kick = goal for them....

We can give it all the jazz about Saints "should" be beating us, but the manner of our defeat was depressing. As mentioned elsewhere, the second half was Penney-esque. Dickov said we'll go with some fight, but it didn't happen. Saints were good, but we could have matched them if we'd have wanted. It's just a shame we didn't seem to try.

many on here criticised dickova few months ago for not trying to defend the lead at peterborough he tried doin it today an guess what he gets criticised again. some people are just never happy.

the only thing more dissapointing than feeney starting the game was feeney lasting 80 odd minutes. he was absolutly dire and the best thing he did was walk off the pitch. everything from him was negative a hospital ball or genrally crap. agree he is dickovs biggest mistake. someone commented today that maybe we should put him in a green shirt an maybe we will get a shift and a performance from him

We had a poor 35 mins today and it cost us. I can only assume Tonk went of injured as no way Feeney stays on ahead of him, the slowest player i have seen in professional football by some margin. Jones was poor as was Stephens. Defensivly we only have two weaknesses we cant defend set pieces and we always concede in stoppage time we achieved both of those with the 1st goal from a stupid free kick and the 2nd was from not clearing a set piece aswell.

I think we changed tactics to accomadate Feeney today and that was a major mistake as the guy hasn't shown anything to warrant such belief in him.

Hopefully that is a lesson learnt and we go back to playing Taylor up front against Plymouth who has shown promise playing there.

We were unlucky not to equalise in the last minute but it was nice to see us go 2-4-4 for the last 10 minutes unlike the 4-6-0 we had to endure last season.

many on here criticised dickova few months ago for not trying to defend the lead at peterborough he tried doin it today an guess what he gets criticised again. some people are just never happy.

the only thing more dissapointing than feeney starting the game was feeney lasting 80 odd minutes. he was absolutly dire and the best thing he did was walk off the pitch. everything from him was negative a hospital ball or genrally crap. agree he is dickovs biggest mistake. someone commented today that maybe we should put him in a green shirt an maybe we will get a shift and a performance from him

I have been happy with the positive way dickov has set the team up all season. Today was the first sign he has been negative for me and it was clear that it wasnt working and Southampton were going to win the game after we had gone in front. We didnt string any passes together and when we got the ball we hoofed it in panic up top to noboby... We have not done that all season and just cant understand why we did it today. First half we were having a go and pressuring Southampton into errors and creating opportunities and once we scored everything changed.

I didnt expect anything from the game before today but after 30 minuted i thought we could pick up the three points, shame the players went into Penny mentality. Hopefully it will be a lesson learned and dickov will keep up the positive play

Edited by NIKI1234

I have been happy with the positive way dickov has set the team up all season. Today was the first sign he has been negative for me and it was clear that it wasnt working and Southampton were going to win the game after we had gone in front. We didnt string any passes together and when we got the ball we hoofed it in panic up top to noboby... We have not done that all season and just cant understand why we did it today. First half we were having a go and pressuring Southampton into errors and creating opportunities and once we scored everything changed.

I didnt expect anything from the game before today but after 30 minuted i thought we could pick up the three points, shame the players went into Penny mentality. Hopefully it will be a lesson learned and dickov will keep up the positive play

Disagree. I just think he got it wrong by trying to accomadate Feeney. we were going for it at the end

Disagree. I just think he got it wrong by trying to accomadate Feeney. we were going for it at the end

Possibly! I agree we went for it at the end when he stuck Mvoto up front! Shame we waited for them to take the lead before we created any chances in the 2nd half.

i think we showed them to much respect. 3 or at worst case 1 point was there for the taking to come away with nothing was so frustrating

Edited by NIKI1234

I'll probably get shot at here, but I felt it was more Southampton posing a threat and forcing us back than us being intentionally negative. They went for us from the start and I was worried for the first 15 minutes we'd get hammered. Puncheon ripped Black to pieces, even Lee was struggling and they got through us too easily. Then we got more into it, got the goal and all was happy again.

We then spent a lot of time chasing shadows and, like I say, I'm not sure we intentionally went Penny-esque. Their two goals were gimmes, just poor defending and if taylor's header right at the death had gone in, we'd have got out of jail.

It's not a disaster; PD is still learning his trade and has openly said he will make mistakes, but will learn by them. I'm sure he will and one of those mistakes was changing last week's team. We're carrying Feeney; he looks half-arsed and way off the pace. No attacking threat from him whatsoever. The Tank worked his Niagaras off again, but Feeney was never going to be bright enough to feed off him.

Taylor looked like a stranger back on the wing; he must have settled into his new role behind the main striker too well! Jones was in and out as was Stephens, and speaking of Stephens, his set pieces are causing more damage to fans behind the goal than the players in front of it. Brill looked solid enough, Lee and Black improved and Hazell & M'Voto didn't do much wrong. MOM for me was Furman - busy, fought well, got stuck in and ran his socks off.

At least PD went for it with a 3-4-3 / 3-4-4 / 3-2-5 or whatever it was, albeit it too little, too late. Top and bottom of it was, we got beat by a better side on the day but this is such a tight division that a win would have seen us 5th instead of 13th and we're still only 2 points outside the play offs.

We'll be OK as PD gets more experience and the odd poor performance gets outweighed by the good ones. Personally, I'm still not worried about where the season is going, but we've got to be "at it" (to quote the man) next week against Plymuff.

Edited by Bristolatic

I'll probably get shot at here, but I felt it was more Southampton posing a threat and forcing us back than us being intentionally negative. They went for us from the start and I was worried for the first 15 minutes we'd get hammered. Puncheon ripped Black to pieces, even Lee was struggling and they got through us too easily. Then we got more into it, got the goal and all was happy again.

We then spent a lot of time chasing shadows and, like I say, I'm not sure we intentionally went Penny-esque. Their two goals were gimmes, just poor defending and if taylor's header right at the death had gone in, we'd have got out of jail.

It's not a disaster; PD is still learning his trade and has openly said he will make mistakes, but will learn by them. I'm sure he will and one of those mistakes was changing last week's team. We're carrying Feeney; he looks half-arsed and way off the pace. No attacking threat from him whatsoever. The Tank worked his Niagaras off again, but Feeney was never going to be bright enough to feed off him.

Taylor looked like a stranger back on the wing; he must have settled into his new role behind the main striker too well! Jones was in and out as was Stephens, and speaking of Stephens, his set pieces are causing more damage to fans behind the goal than the players in front of it. Brill looked solid enough, Lee and Black improved and Hazell & M'Voto didn't do much wrong. MOM for me was Furman - busy, fought well, got stuck in and ran his socks off.

At least PD went for it with a 3-4-3 / 3-4-4 / 3-2-5 or whatever it was, albeit it too little, too late. Top and bottom of it was, we got beat by a better side on the day but this is such a tight division that a win would have seen us 5th instead of 13th and we're still only 2 points outside the play offs.

We'll be OK as PD gets more experience and the odd poor performance gets outweighed by the good ones. Personally, I'm still not worried about where the season is going, but we've got to be "at it" (to quote the man) next week against Plymuff.

Perfectly put. If Furman has been this season's success story (amongst a few others), then Feeney has to be for me, the biggest disappointment. In fact, I'd go so far as to say he's been a crushing disappointment. The constant interruption from internationals must have affected him, but still, he's not shown anything so far.

What annoys me most is that he doesn't seem to read the game very well, which you would think would be a strength - higer league experience, older player, international etc - he just never gambles. Mystifying and frustrating........ :angry:

Perfectly put. If Furman has been this season's success story (amongst a few others), then Feeney has to be for me, the biggest disappointment. In fact, I'd go so far as to say he's been a crushing disappointment. The constant interruption from internationals must have affected him, but still, he's not shown anything so far.

What annoys me most is that he doesn't seem to read the game very well, which you would think would be a strength - higer league experience, older player, international etc - he just never gambles. Mystifying and frustrating........ :angry:

totally agree

Somebody in that back 5 has got to take ownership of defending set pieces.

And as for their second goal, sometimes when defending on the edge of your own box you have to simply put your foot through the ball. Two or three opportunities to do that ending in Kelly's poor hoof.

I do think that Alessandra deserved to keep his place and Feeney shouldn't have started. Taylor in behind the front man away from home looks like the way we should play on the road.

Worse than Feeney?

So we drop ANY player that has ONE bad game as his first one was good.

The joys of being a football manager.

Ignoring the perilous finances, I would play Jacobsen at left back. But Black has developed this season. He has had a ropey few games of late though.

As for Dickov, I simply don't think the manager should be on the pitch. It takes him away from his real job of getting the best out of his team. Rarely has the player-manager concept been successful and I'm glad Dickov hasn't played more than a few minutes this season.

A bit like Sheff Weds then?

Thing is though. That is how far we have come as a team this season! Saints and Weds, "There for the taking"

Edited by dazlatic