Wetherspoon's Real Ale & Cider Festival

As a recent convert to the merits of real ale, served properly, unlike 'warm beer', tonight I accompanied Mrs. S. to "The World's Biggest Real Ale & Cider Festival" at Wetherspoon's 'Lord Burton' hostelry in the Global Brewing Capital.

Tasting Notes (click and wait for pdf file):

http://www.jdwrealale.co.uk/static/pdfs/re...sting-notes.pdf

As one of the few remaining supporters of the 'Stop the Rot' "don't put your mouth where their money is, until they put their money where your heart is" campaign against J. W. Lees Brewery, I was surprised when Mrs. S. chose the J. W.Lees Chocoholic beer as her dessert on 'Curry Night'. My consolation was that she only had a third of a pint at the princely sum of 63p, so it was a damage-limitation exercise.

We also sampled Ruddles Best, O'Hanlan's Stormstay. Marston's Witches' Brew, Banks's UCB, Moorhouse's Pendle Witches Brew, Wychwold King Goblin, Greene King Abbot Ale, Coors' Lord Burton and the Samuel Adams Blonde Ambition International Ale (USA). With more real ales due in Burton over the rest of the Festival, we look forward to more sampling nights.

Over the next couple of weeks during the Festival (until Sunday 14th November) we are due to spend nights at Travelodges in Burnley (prior to Accrington) and at Birch Services (after Rochdale), with the opportunity to sample more local real ales from those areas. I expect to be enough of a connoiseur to be able to write a book on the subject of real ale after all this experience.

Meanwhile tomorrow night it is exclusively Guinness :drinking45: as we try in spirit to lift Shamrock Rovers to the Irish League Championship. :Ireland::pray:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a recent convert to the merits of real ale, served properly, unlike 'warm beer', tonight I accompanied Mrs. S. to "The World's Biggest Real Ale & Cider Festival" at Wetherspoon's 'Lord Burton' hostelry in the Global Brewing Capital.

As one of the few remaining supporters of the 'Stop the Rot' "don't put your mouth where their money is, until they put their money where your heart is" campaign against J. W. Lees Brewery, I was surprised when Mrs. S. chose the J. W.Lees Chocoholic beer as her dessert on 'Curry Night'. My consolation was that she only had a third of a pint at the princely sum of 63p, so it was a damage-limitation exercise.

We also sampled Ruddles Best, O'Hanlan's Stormstay. Marston's Witches' Brew, Banks's UCB, Moorhouse's Pendle Witches Brew, Wychwold King Goblin, Greene King Abbot Ale, Coors' Lord Burton and the Samuel Adams Blonde Ambition International Ale (USA). With more real ales due in Burton over the rest of the Festival, we look forward to more sampling nights.

Over the next couple of weeks during the Festival (until Sunday 14th November) we are due to spend nights at Travelodges in Burnley (prior to Accrington) and at Birch Services (after Rochdale), with the opportunity to sample more local real ales from those areas. I expect to be enough of a connoiseur to be able to write a book on the subject of real ale after all this experience.

Meanwhile tomorrow night it is exclusively Guinness :drinking45: as we try in spirit to lift Shamrock Rovers to the Irish League Championship. :Ireland::pray:

...and that is why pensioners should get cheaper entry :wink:

Planning my own trip out on Saturday to try out a few of the really decent beers on offer at Weatherspoons at the moment. Its a really good offering and on at all the Spoons...

...and that is why pensioners should get cheaper entry :wink:

It was free entry for us, as I presume it is for everyone at Wetherspoon's, but I can see from your 'wink' that you are a supporter of our concessionary bus passes, and no doubt you support our campaign to allow women pensioners under the age of 65 to get concessionary season tickets at Latics.

Are you listening Alan Hardy?

King Goblin and Greene King are both nice.

I'm off to the CAMRA event at the Palace tomorrow (more info here) after the one at the RNCM about a month ago which we were too late for and they had almost nothing left.

I'm not a big Ale drinker, but a couple of nice chilled - not cold, but not warm - pints are an excellent way to start an evening out.

It was free entry for us, as I presume it is for everyone at Wetherspoon's, but I can see from your 'wink' that you are a supporter of our concessionary bus passes, and no doubt you support our campaign to allow women pensioners under the age of 65 to get concessionary season tickets at Latics.

I was having a wee joke regarding your moans about pensioners not getting in cheaper at latics :wink:

King Goblin and Greene King are both nice.

I'm off to the CAMRA event at the Palace tomorrow (more info here) after the one at the RNCM about a month ago which we were too late for and they had almost nothing left.

I'm not a big Ale drinker, but a couple of nice chilled - not cold, but not warm - pints are an excellent way to start an evening out.

It's a pity you have to go to Manc, when Oldham has two Wetherspoon's establishments taking part in the 'World's Biggest Real Ale & Cider Festival'. :disappointed:

I'll be about 90 before I retire at this rate....

I know quite a few pubs near there, if you are after a Weatherspoons though its a taxi ride, although I assume you won't have time for a trip to a weatherspoons after the game.

As for Sam Adams, I've had that its nice, but not as nice as their very expensive beer which is something like 12.5%. (I still maintain a trip to their brewery was the best $2 I've ever spent)

I know quite a few pubs near there, if you are after a Weatherspoons though its a taxi ride, although I assume you won't have time for a trip to a weatherspoons after the game.

You assume correctly and we'll be in the (in)capable hands of 'Dale fans over from Dublin.

P.S. Anyone who knows Danny Standring, tell him Big Dec is coming over. Danny can contact me to arrange to meet up with him.

Throughout my career of 43 years, I always claimed to have been in the wrong place at the wrong time, by missing out on all sorts of benefits. Now, on reflection................................ it could have been worse!

Me too! The only one I've had luck with was going to uni just before tuition fees came in - which is a big one I suppose. Everything else, luck has been very much against me :(

Me too! The only one I've had luck with was going to uni just before tuition fees came in - which is a big one I suppose. Everything else, luck has been very much against me :(

Being in a position not to have to claim benefits is hardly "unlucky" me thinks...

Edited by oafc0000

What?

Having to claim benefits is not somewhere anyone wants to be surely ? If you are claiming benefits its because you are in need of help due to unemployment, sickness, poor pay etc...

I find it strange for anyone to say they have been "unlucky" to avoid benefits. Its a good thing surely, from many points of view.

I would rather be in the position of paying more into the system to help others, than having to be helped...

Having to claim benefits is not somewhere anyone wants to be surely ? If you are claiming benefits its because you are in need of help due to unemployment, sickness, poor pay etc...

I find it strange for anyone to say they have been "unlucky" to avoid benefits. Its a good thing surely, from many points of view.

I would rather be in the position of paying more into the system to help others, than having to be helped...

Again ..... What?

You said luck was against you when it came to claiming benefits ? You agreed with Diego comment regarding missing out on benefits by saying you felt luck had escaped you ?

Where am I misunderstanding ?

You have a very concrete understanding of the term 'benefits'.

You said luck was against you when it came to claiming benefits ? You agreed with Diego comment regarding missing out on benefits by saying you felt luck had escaped you ?

Where am I misunderstanding ?

I may have confused things by mentioning 'benefits' - what I meant was opportunities to my advantage (benefit), nothing to do with State hand-outs.