Wetherspoon's Real Ale & Cider Festival

I managed a swift Chocoholic whilst passing the Rochdale Moon the other week. It was OK, although tasted ever so slightly as if someone had poured some chocolate powder into a pint of beer. I would have the odd one again as a variation, but wouldn't fancy 3 of them in a row. Youngs Double Chocolate Stout is a massively superior beer if you want that sort of thing.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you intended to do some sampling in the rochdale/heywood/middleton areas as a precursor to the dale game.

No, we were supposed to be meeting people in the Church Inn, where we arrived at 4:30pm, but the meeting didn't materialise until about 8:20pm in Studds Bar followed by late doors in a Dale pub. It was a Guinness session interrupted by 8 minutes of football, a breakdown in communication and a taxi ride. :blink:

I managed a swift Chocoholic whilst passing the Rochdale Moon the other week. It was OK, although tasted ever so slightly as if someone had poured some chocolate powder into a pint of beer. I would have the odd one again as a variation, but wouldn't fancy 3 of them in a row. Youngs Double Chocolate Stout is a massively superior beer if you want that sort of thing.

The Wadworth Pixley Blackcurrant Stout and the Caledonian Edinburgh Strong Ale were very good, and I'm still hoping to find the Lion Stout from Sri Lanka on my Wetherspoon travels.

• 2 weeks later...
Festival Ales still being sold and the price of a pint is down to 99p in the Global Brewing Capital. 28 sampled now, including Castagnale, an Italian beer from Birra Del Borgo, and Everards Coppernob..............oooh shut that door!

Nice!

We have indeed been honoured with many of the ales here in liccul Oldham, and my collection of hangovers is almost complete. Tonight I shall see what fine choices they offer, but not before a trip to the Ashton Arms to finish off the barrel of Hit & Run that I started earlier in the week.

Mrs. S. and I sat in 'CAMRA Corner' in the Squire Knott after the Accrington game. B) Pity about the :censored:e music! :disappointed:

Spent Friday night in the Coopers myself. By God it's good cider in there. Why anyone from Burton would leave that pub to go anywhere else ever defeats me.

NB. Burton made Bury look half decent too.

At last the long-awaited Lion Stout made its appearance in the Global Brewing Capital tonight. A Sri Lankan brewer came to Marston's in the capital to re-create a lower-strength version of this world-famous beer, now usually called 'Dark'. It was well worth the wait.

In fact Burton was the place for stout-hearted folk tonight because, in addition to the Lion Stout :drinking45: , there was the Wadworth Pixley Blackcurrant Stout :drinking45: and the Burton Bridge Porter :drinking45: on offer.

Early evening on Thursday is curry night. While Mrs. S. was sampling the Balti, I had my first Christmas dinner - turkey with all he trimmings - at £5.99 including a pint.

Then home in time to watch Nigella. After seeing a book of hers, I've disovered she's into cookery - I hadn't noticed that while watching her lick her fingers on the telly. :gorgeous:

• 4 months later...

Here we go again - Spring Real Ale & Cider Festival.

Stayed near Ipswich for two nights after the Colchester defeat. Ipswich has three Wetherspoon pubs, so we were able to sample a good selection.

Tasting Hotes

During a week's stay in Devon last year, I sampled (Amongst many others) the Butcombe, Otter and Wooden Hand offerings, and found them all to be very palatable indeed.

Also, the Wells Banana Bread was available in the Ashton Arms on Friday night, and is well worth trying (If the strong banana smell doesn't put you off).