Wetherspoon's Real Ale & Cider Festival

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may have confused things by mentioning 'benefits' - what I meant was opportunities to my advantage (benefit), nothing to do with State hand-outs.

Fair enough... I thought you was talking about pensions which is a state benefit... e.g. the retirement age... Hence why I thought you meant state benefits...

Edited by oafc0000

Well what have you missed out on in those areas which others got ?

It's generally a long list of what I've missed out on due to NHS pay changes and restructures, but would amount to tens of thousands of pounds which I could have got but didn't - basicsally due to my age or stage in my career. And this will continue in terms of pension conditions. As well as the other stuff that will be affecting my peers, such as house prices, mortgage rates, higher retirement age, no state pension, etc.

Edited by maddog

It's generally a long list of what I've missed out on due to NHS pay changes and restructures, but would amount to tens of thousands of pounds which I could have got but didn't - basicsally due to my age or stage in my career. And this will continue in terms of pension conditions. As well as the other stuff that will be affecting my peers, such as house prices, mortgage rates, higher retirement age, no state pension, etc.

ah right... these are more to do with work than universal state benefits really... besides the pension stuff... So I was probably right to ignore them :P but you are right, sounds like you have been unlucky...

We got our wires crossed at the start... Sorry for my part but even Diego admits his post could of caused confused :)

Right off to be... TTFN :D

He, he, he. Poor dear, still thinks she'll be able to retire.

He, he, he. Poor dear, still thinks she'll be able to retire.

Don't take away my one silver lining (no matter how delusional)! :cry:

Ps, I am aware that it's going to be 68. But that's in the next few years. Then it'll be 70 by 2025, 75 by 2035, and similar, with my lifestyle, I ain't going to be breaking into the Guinness Book if Records for longevity....

Edited by maddog

It's a pity you have to go to Manc, when Oldham has two Wetherspoon's establishments taking part in the 'World's Biggest Real Ale & Cider Festival'. :disappointed:

I live in Didsbury D_S, my nearest 'spoons would be Manchester anyway... not that I'm a big fan of them, I prefer the smaller indie pubs to the big chains (unless out on a Latics day, then it's all about the ££!).

CAMRA do some good events, I went to one at the Didsbury Crown Green Bowling club back in the summer which was cracking, let you have a dabble on the bowls whilst pissed up which was a laugh.

Ps, I am aware that it's going to be 68. But that's in the next few years. Then it'll be 70 by 2025, 75 by 2035, and similar.....

In France the retirement age is to be raised from 60 to 62 and they're rioting on the streets. There's a lot to be said for standing up and being counted, to pressurise Government to take action against those responsible for the economic crisis and to prevent a recurrence.

In France the retirement age is to be raised from 60 to 62 and they're rioting on the streets. There's a lot to be said for standing up and being counted, to pressurise Government to take action against those responsible for the economic crisis and to prevent a recurrence.

That's not technically true, the minimum retirement age (i.e. for this country it would be when you are old enough to be eligible for a state pension- currently 60+years) is being raised from 60 to 62.

That's not technically true, the minimum retirement age (i.e. for this country it would be when you are old enough to be eligible for a state pension- currently 60+years) is being raised from 60 to 62.

Under current rules, both men and women in France can retire at 60, providing they have paid social security contributions for 40.5 years, although they are not entitled to a full pension until they are 65.

The French government is raising the retirement age to 62, the qualification to 41.5 years, and the pension age to 67.

Whichever way you look at it, unlike us, the French are not prepared to take it lying down.

I've long wondered if the young should uprise against the old, and see them off.

I thought this unkind, hence why the OS Party would have the pensioner lottery to realign the demographics.

It's nice to know that even the other side sees sense.

Because of Wetherspoons business method of buying almost out-of-date stock in huge amounts at very low prices (Knowing they can sell it quickly), they rarely have the more unique ales from smaller breweries on. Unfortunately it is normally run of the mill ale you can buy anywhere.

There are some much better ales to try every week at proper CAMRA pubs like the Ashton Arms (Though they're often a pound dearer - which kind of takes the shine off a bit).

From next Saturday, the Ashton Arms has 'Hit and Run' beer from the Northern microbrewery near Northwich. It's a 4.2% blond beer with a fantastic raspberry taste, which I'd highly recommend.

Just don't drink it all, cos I intend to consume as much as possible while it's in town.

Because of Wetherspoons business method of buying almost out-of-date stock in huge amounts at very low prices (Knowing they can sell it quickly), they rarely have the more unique ales from smaller breweries on. Unfortunately it is normally run of the mill ale you can buy anywhere.

The tasting notes show that half of the 50 beers have been brewed exclusively for, or are making their debut in, this Festival.

Only pensioners have enough time on their hands to wait to get served in a Wetherspoons.

Life for pensioners is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out, it's all about timing. Your time will come! B)

The tasting notes show that half of the 50 beers have been brewed exclusively for, or are making their debut in, this Festival.

Sorry Diego, that wasn't the point I was trying to make.

Here in Oldham we are unlikely to see many of these beers. Instead we will see the regular Ruddles, Pedigree, Greene King etc, which are all fine beers but limited in character. I hope that other fans of real ale are aware that there are places in Oldham where you can try different and unusual ales that change weekly, without having to wait for festivals or rare specials at Wetherspoons.

I'm delighted at the resurgence of real ale, and well done to wetherspoons for promoting it. It would be better if the ales were seen more frequently at outlets around the country though.

Sorry Diego, that wasn't the point I was trying to make.

Here in Oldham we are unlikely to see many of these beers. Instead we will see the regular Ruddles, Pedigree, Greene King etc, which are all fine beers but limited in character. I hope that other fans of real ale are aware that there are places in Oldham where you can try different and unusual ales that change weekly, without having to wait for festivals or rare specials at Wetherspoons.

I'm delighted at the resurgence of real ale, and well done to wetherspoons for promoting it. It would be better if the ales were seen more frequently at outlets around the country though.

Point taken about normal offerings rather than festivals. However, as the Festival lasts for 19 days there's a good chance that, even in Oldham, there will be a very wide selection of the 50 beers. Here in the global brewing Capital we are to have over 40 of them.

BTW when in Oldham we go in the Ashton Arms. :drinking66:

• 2 weeks later...
I hope you're right. I really fancy trying a few new ones.

Bloody B-O-T have all the fun! :wink:

22 sampled so far in the Burton, Burnley and Oldham outlets. :drinking66:

In the category I call 'real ale for tarts' Mrs. S. prefers the Traditional Scottish Ales Double Espresso to the J.W. Lees Chocoholic.

22 sampled so far in the Burton, Burnley and Oldham outlets. :drinking66:

In the category I call 'real ale for tarts' Mrs. S. prefers the Traditional Scottish Ales Double Espresso to the J.W. Lees Chocoholic.

I thought you intended to do some sampling in the rochdale/heywood/middleton areas as a precursor to the dale game.