Good move by the club

Brilliant, you've done someone out of paid employment.

I have to say, I am suprised this thread was a magnet for moaners, but I suppose it's par for the course.

Talk about always looking on the down side, damned if they do , damned if the don't.

I'd much rather someone in there that is motivated an wants to do it than employing someone who surly who is only there to get the Job Centre told them to apply or they get their benefits cut.

Edited by singe

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This would be fine if the club was run by volunteers. It's not. It has many paid employees and by volunteering to do for free what they get paid for people are endangering their employment.

This is not the same as attending a poker night or some other type of benefit.

Basically, how would you like it if someone pitched up at your work place and offered to do your job for free. Would you be chuffed?

Edited by Hemel latic

This would be fine if the club was run by volunteers. It's not. It has many paid employees and by volunteering to do for free what they get paid for people are endangering their employment.

:petesake:

no pleasing some people

Basically, how would you like it if someone pitched up at your work place and offered to do your job for free. Would you be chuffed?

wouldnt happen im on a 5 year rolling contract pal :D

You're comparing apples with pears. I should make it clear that I applaud the club for opening the shop and looking at increasing the profile. However, the purpose of the shop is to make profit, the club is a business and people shouldn't "volunteer" and take away the paid work of others. It's damaging and potentially demoralising for the retail staff already employed and it removes a job opportunity.

:lol: you really are sad.

You're comparing apples with pears. I should make it clear that I applaud the club for opening the shop and looking at increasing the profile. However, the purpose of the shop is to make profit, the club is a business and people shouldn't "volunteer" and take away the paid work of others. It's damaging and potentially demoralising for the retail staff already employed and it removes a job opportunity.

Did you fail the interview by any chance?

I think you'll find that a lot of people you don't see behind the scenes are volunteers.

Make Profit - Im doing it for free so which means my wage i would of got goes to the club anyway

It's damaging and potentially demoralising for the retail staff already employed - How ? if anything they will laugh at me for doing it for free when there doing the same and getting paid !

Its hardly a skilled job (no offence Lee) is it? Its not like a lawyer or IT pro or Doctor is being replaced by a volunteer its a shop assistant on minimum wage

This won't have come cheap I wouldn't have thought. I like the idea about selling tickets there too. Finally some of our ideas are being put into practice.

I hope it pays off and the club cashes in on the Christmas rush to come..

New Shop

have to agree it is an excellent idea...a town centre presence and selling tickets as well.....has to be a good thing..

its funny because i was talking about this not long ago and said to someone,nah wont happen been mentioned before and never happened,guess with spindles doing a nationwide tv advert for christmas they dont want empty shops do they...

well done the club..step in the right direction,now fill it visuallys excellent new tshirt ranges

I think you'll find that a lot of people you don't see behind the scenes are volunteers.

Exactly and alot of what the club do couldn't be done without the volunteers. I think some people just don't realise what goes on!!!

Well done Lee, you should be very proud!! Hopefully people will appreciate you giving up your time :-)

They should get the injured players working in there if theyre not training, that'd get a few more in!

I’ve said that before on here...........IMO the injured players / players not catching the match day squads should be told (not asked) to do more around the club; for the club.

I’ve said this in the past relating specifically to match days – but this new Town Centre Shop would also fall under that banner for me too.

IMO they (injured / not picked players) should be meeting & greeting the fans in the boxes / VIP’s in the Directors Boxes.......be in & around the pitch area pre-kick-off to mix & mingle etc......and now with the club shop opening in town; they should IMO be asked to go and work a (small) shift (as long as their injury recovery isn’t affected by the ‘work’ they do) in the shop – with the rota posted on the Official site so fans can see who will be in there & when.

Went to the Aberdeen Vs Rangers game a few weeks back – and in the Pittodrie Shop; they had 2 (injured) players behind the tills in club tracksuits; talking to fans & putting shirts into bags etc. I’ve heard of it done at other clubs too.

For injured players like Fleming, Holdsworth & McGrath; or ‘out of favour’ ones like Worthington; it’s a way the club can still get some value from them – instead of no player visibility; use the ones who aren’t currently contributing to the on-field progress to help raise the profile of the club and actually make them ‘earn’ the weekly wage they continue to pick up; their wages are already in the budget & it would save fans like Lee from having to go above & beyond in volunteering to help out...........just a thought like.

Exactly and alot of what the club do couldn't be done without the volunteers. I think some people just don't realise what goes on!!!

Well done Lee, you should be very proud!! Hopefully people will appreciate you giving up your time :-)

dont be daft....most people will think hes a muppett for doing it,and especially for free...

it is very admirable.....saves the club some money in wages,well done lad