Bobby Johnstone had Boundary Park buzzing in the 60s

I’ve just spotted that Bobby was inducted posthumously into the Scottish Football Hall of Fame on Tuesday. Better late than never!

http://www.hibernian-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/h...835/index.shtml

_46388115_bobbyj.jpg
There are fleeting glimpses of him on YouTube, all the more remarkable is in those days they played in boots like clogs, with an heavy case ball and often on quagmire pitches.

For those watching in black and white, Citeh are in the stripes, back in the days when they won things, and namby-pamby goalies take note of Bert Trautmann playing on with a broken neck. :pow:

Bobby had a magic wand in his boots - he mesmerised me with some of the things he did. There is one famous photograph (I can't find it, now, though. Diego?) where he turned a Donny defender inside out, feet going one way, looking over his opposite shoulder as Bobby danced away from him.

Can't find that one, but will these two do?

Bobby scores v Mansfield Town, March1961:

5190015397_c209d97c45_z.jpg

Picture from 'Pine Villa & Oldham Athletic A 100 Year Journey' book by Stewart W. Beckett.

Bobby scores for with a spectacular overhead kick v York City 1962-63 season:

5190613838_7357e8dfaa_z.jpg

Picture from 'The Team from a town of Chimneys' book by Stewart W. Beckett.
Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Have you never been a Chaddy Ender?

Not really Diego, my eyesight won't stretch to 100 yards :wink:

Joking apart I think this is the reason why some deserted the club after the Lookers stand was knocked down, they preferred a view from around halfway rather than from behind the goals where they were offered seats.

Edited by BP1960

diego did you ever meet the late manager George Hardwick?

As a keen autograph hunter I met George and many other famous players.

At Bloomfield Road, while on holiday in Blackpool, I asked Stanley Matthews for his autograph. He asked me which club I supported. When I told him, he said "They're not doing very well, are they?". Not much changes does it? :blink:

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

From "Soccer Star" ( for younger readers -a now defunct weekly magazine) of Jan 6th 1962, reporting on Latics 5-0 victory away to Southport on 26 Dec 1961 :

"Two inches of snow did not prevent Oldham from managing to produce fluid forward movements or from finding their men accurately....Johnstone was a great general for the winners and kept the ball on the white floor with the skill of a man who has played in almost every conceivable type of weather. It was the main factor for his team's dominance.

When Oldham got their fourth goal it was noticeable that the crowd had been cut by half - obviously to go back home to their fires".

Must be something about Southport, snow, and Boxing Day. Next year of course 11 - 0 at BP.

Edited by LaticsPete