Our Lady's Royton

oafcprozac

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hulme closed due to no gritting on the surrounding roads.

I think the world has gone soft.

Very soft and very ignorant as well...

The problems this causes the parents must be huge. If there is a real and serious H&S issue then fine. The condition of the roads leading to and from a school is well below what I would deem real and serious. Maybe a roof about to fall in....

Edited by oafc0000

The problems this causes the parents must be huge. If there is a real and serious H&S issue then fine. The condition of the roads leading to and from a school is well beyond what I would deem real and serious. Maybe a roof about to fall in....

If it's slippery outside, let the kids learn to walk carefully on the ice.

If the heating's failed inside, close the place by all means.

Even if half the teachers haven't turned up, you could hold large scale lessons in halls etc.

Instead the contingency of "Let's go home" seems to be the best we're capable of. It's poor.

Even if half the teachers haven't turned up, you could hold large scale lessons in halls etc.

Instead the contingency of "Let's go home" seems to be the best we're capable of. It's poor.

Just to clear up I think slippery roads is not enough of a reason to close a school. I worded my reply badly.

The problems this causes the parents must be huge. If there is a real and serious H&S issue then fine. The condition of the roads leading to and from a school is well below what I would deem real and serious. Maybe a roof about to fall in....

Problem is as a Teacher (albeit an out of work one) H & S is King, if little Jonny goes arse over tit the school will be blamed, if little Billy throws a snowball at little Tommy and hits him in the eye the teachers will be blamed. If the floors inside school become slippy it's potentially 'claim city 'etc... Blame Labour!

However..

It's a bit more serious than that too, if students and staff can't get too and from school despite the surrounding roads being fine you have a logistical nightmare on your hands especially if like I experienced at St. Cuthbert's 2 years ago - about ten of us trying to supervise around a thousand students, as staff simply couldn't get in. A thousand hyper students that all wanted to bugger off out into the snow but as the Head had not made it off his drive he was unwilling to let the rest of the SLMT make the decision to close until he saw how bad the Rochdale weather was for himself. Eventually sense prevailed..

Another consideration is if the school buses cannot guarantee being there at the end of school - that's a real problem for those kids that rely on subsidised transport and have a fair old trek to and from school.

I know parents complain and it is a real ballache, but a lot of us teachers are parents too. It's even harder now the boy is at Secondary School so now there's potentially two different problems to solve!

Edited by oafcprozac

It's not that simple, there's a lot to consider and what you suggest simply becomes an ineffective way of killing time, a teacher becomes a glorified baby-sitter and that is not acceptable. Not in mine and other professional's opinions anyway.

Edited by oafcprozac

Problem is as a Teacher (albeit an out of work one) H & S is King, if little Jonny goes arse over tit the school will be blamed, if little Billy throws a snowball at little Tommy and hits him in the eye the teachers will be blamed. If the floors inside school become slippy it's potentially 'claim city 'etc... Blame Labour!

However..

It's a bit more serious than that too, if students and staff can't get too and from school despite the surrounding roads being fine you have a logistical nightmare on your hands especially if like I experienced at St. Cuthbert's 2 years ago - about ten of us trying to supervise around a thousand students, as staff simply couldn't get in. A thousand hyper students that all wanted to bugger off out into the snow but a the Head had not made it off his drive he was unwilling to let the rest of the SLMT make the decision to close until he saw how bad the Rochdale weather was for themselves. Eventually sense prevailed..

Another consideration is if the school buses cannot guarantee being there at the end of school - that's a real problem for those kids that rely on subsidised transport and have a fair old trek to and from school.

I know parents complain and it is a real ballache, but a lot of us teachers are parents too. It's even harder now the boy is at Secondary School so now there's potentially two different problems to solve!

Blame Labour... Jeezs, we really do try to blame governments for everything don't we... How about blaming risk adverse cotton wool parenting who would rather make a claim than teach their children about how to handle, asses and deal with risk ?

Many millions of commuters made it to work today because if they don't turn up they won't be paid. I get REALLY angry at teachers and people in similar professions who abuse their positions in this way. I have NEVER not been able to make it work. I don't drive... I use public transport and I WALK when I am forced to.... It seems unless some people can drive on clear roads from their door step to the free car park at work then they "can't make it in" and their responsible position in society matters not.

Edited by oafc0000

It's not that simple, there's a lot to consider and what you suggest simply becomes an ineffective way of killing time, a teacher becomes a glorified baby-sitter and that is not acceptable. Not in mine and other professional's opinions anyway.

Perfectly acceptable in my eyes...

Blame Labour... Jeezs, we really do try to blame governments for everything don't we... How about blaming risk adverse cotton wool parenting who would rather make a claim than teach their children about how to handle, asses and deal with risk ?

Many millions of commuters made it to work today because if they don't turn up they won't be paid. I get REALLY angry at teachers and people in similar professions who abuse their positions in this way. I have NEVER not been able to make it work. I don't drive... I use public transport and I WALK when I am forced to.... It seems unless some people can drive on clear roads from their door step to the free car park at work then they "can't make it in"...

Labour did change the law though that made it easier. "Where there's blame, there's a claim!" That's why H & S has gone mad. You wouldn't believe how much planning has to go into school-trips. You have to plan for weeks, risk assessments (in triplicate) to and from the place, whilst you're there etc, etc it's barmy!

I agree with cotton wool parenting - it's madness. When it snowed when I was a kid I never remember school closing, we made snowmen, had snowball fights and made slippy curries.. fall over arse over tit was all part of the fun. As was having to spend the day in wet clothes etc...I think there are a few that take the micky in getting to school in inclement weather but the school's I have worked in, on such occasions make you sign in and out and those that can't make it simply are docked that day by the LEA. However most Teachers I've encountered live a fair trek away from school, and if the roads are grid-locked, buses and trains cancelled etc... short of getting their skis and husky sledge out they will not make it. I know many that have battled to school only to find it either closed or about to. We really can't win! And for the record I've always made it in.

Labour did change the law though that made it easier. "Where there's blame, there's a claim!" That's why H & S has gone mad. You wouldn't believe how much planning has to go into school-trips. You have to plan for weeks, risk assessments (in triplicate) to and from the place, whilst you're there etc, etc it's barmy!

Wrong... The reason why school-trips and such like required better planning and preparation was because a number of pupils lost their lives on various trips over a number of years due to extremely negligent behaviour from teachers planning these trips and events. There is no reason at all for any teacher to fear having to take their job seriously enough to kill one of the kids they are caring for.

Its your moaning above that make it extremely important that government keep pressure on you to make sure you plan things properly because it is clear to me that if they don't, and given the complaints, complacency and deaths will return.

if the roads are grid-locked, buses and trains cancelled etc...

Even during the height of the worse weather I have ever seen in this country since I was born earlier this year I made it to the clients site. I was also sat next to people who made it to work from much further distances. And people where missing from the same starting points of many of us with the same transport options open to them.

Lazy :censored:ers throw in the towel and the rest of us get on with it... IMO...

If you lived / work in the middle of nowhere then I can see how your options will close up. I doubt all the teachers live in the sticks though.

Edited by oafc0000

Perfectly acceptable in my eyes...

Kids are there to learn a set curriculum in classes of 30 or less, inclement weather is no excuse to resort back to draconian methods. Frankly I find it insulting that you find it acceptable for Teachers to be used as glorified babysitters.

I've heard of instances of school's being that short-staffed kids have spent the day watching DVDs, that's wrong. If effective teaching and learning cannot take place (as Ofsted so kindly tell us) then a school is not doing its job. And 100s of students being taught in a hall is not effective teaching and learning in my opinion.

It seems unless some people can drive on clear roads from their door step to the free car park at work then they "can't make it in"...

I remember when I liked nothing better than driving round in the snow with one hand glued to the handbrake. Yet these days I can never get the car out until well gone lunch..... :unsure::rolleyes:

Kids are there to learn a set curriculum in classes of 30 or less, inclement weather is no excuse to resort back to draconian methods. Frankly I find it insulting that you find it acceptable for Teachers to be used as glorified babysitters.

I've heard of instances of school's being that short-staffed kids have spent the day watching DVDs, that's wrong. If effective teaching and learning cannot take place (as Ofsted so kindly tell us) then a school is not doing its job. And 100s of students being taught in a hall is not effective teaching and learning in my opinion.

I don't really care if you find it insulting or not. During the day the state demands I send my child to school. The state demands I pay my taxes for it. And I bloody demand you lot stick to your side of the deal in that process. Get in, get working and stop making excuses to have a day off :wink:

A bit of snow or high winds is not a valid excuse for the whole country to grind to a halt. If I can make it to work fine then teachers can make it to school and the kids can be cared for.

Edited by oafc0000

Wrong... The reason why school-trips and such like required better planning and preparation was because a number of pupils lost their lives on various trips over a number of years due to extremely negligent behaviour from teachers planning these trips and events. There is no reason at all for any teacher to fear having to take their job seriously enough to kill one of the kids they are caring for.

Its your moaning above that make it extremely important that government keep pressure on you to make sure you plan things properly because it is clear to me that if they don't, and given the complaints, complacency and deaths will return.

I think we'll leave this discussion here you obviously know more about teaching, education and schools' procedures than I do. Perhaps I should consider a change of career... :wink:

I think we'll leave this discussion here you obviously know more about teaching, education and schools' procedures than I do. Perhaps I should consider a change of career... :wink:

I think you will also find that the Tories made a lot of changes in the late 80's to mid 90's regarding the planning and assessments teachers had to do... Its good stuff.

I take it your withdrawal from the discussion as only to serve my point that teachers don't understand H&S rules too well.

Edited by oafc0000

For the sake of a day or so?! I suppose if you were a high flying MD you'd let the phone ring out? :lol:

I think Teacher think it is below their station and clearly ignore the important role they play in the community. Teachers don't turn in, I can't work, taxes go down (Corporation and Personal), revenue suffers, and I struggle to pay my bills. Time this across the country over several days and you get some nasty issues developing.

Schools in my eyes are there as much for education as it is to allow the nation to get out there and work. Maybe teachers don't agree. Most parents seem to do and ultimately that is what counts.

I generally find that teachers will try and make it in more than your average worker, because they know if they don't someone has to step up to the plate for them. Most employees can easily not turn up for a day and there be no need for them to have someone take their place beyond answering the phone.

What does happen more, is that Heads now close the schools on the slightest forecast of bad weather. And it is due to H&S issues and claims made against the school. These companies target school catchment areas after bad weather, just in case they can pick up some business.