Our Lady's Royton

oafcprozac

Aye i suppose it does cause a lot more bother than people might realise. I can see both sides of the argument too, though i think im still slightly with the schools in terms of when they shut. I just feel its different when it comes to a sector dealing with kids and one of its primary concerns is to ensure the saftey of kids at the school. If that saftey can't be enusred then i fully understand a school's decision to close, as much of a ball ache it might be to parents. Its a tough call and im glad i dont have to make it!

It's not about safety though (it's snow FFS), it's about the compensation culture of this country. Until that changes this will happen more and more at the drop of a hat.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not about safety though (it's snow FFS), it's about the compensation culture of this country. Until that changes this will happen more and more at the drop of a hat.

True, thats how im looking at it with the saftey thing as daft as it is (it is just snow as you say). If the schools open they leave themselves open to be sued in case of injury.

Personally id send the kids in and if i had any of my own id tell them to be careful, and if they injured themselves beacuse of their own stupidity id say that it serves them right and they should learn from it.

As you mention, this culture of 'where theres blame, theres a claim', needs to stop.

Just to add, purely for future reference, that some of our 'emergency services' are hit during bouts of bad weather such as this. The police ,for example will find themselves 'grounded' if the snow/ice or weather conditions generally become poor.

Comparing education however, with other services and employers is, as 88states, not really balanced.

Either way, despite obvious pleasure many of us will take in receiving an extra day off if it arises, the realities are that schools generally, are open for longer and more days offered for schemes such as after school, holiday and extra curricular clubs being open throughout the year.

Anyway - must get on with evaluations now :wink:

A week off over an academic year due to closures for weather means roughly 3% less work gets done, if I was an employer and someone I employed did 3% less work, the best they would get is a 3% pay-cut.

Jesus. Please sir, can I have some more? You'd get a much greater drop in employee productivity courtesy of such an attitude....

I feel schools ought to shut at the first opportunity and their parents ought to stay home with them. It's fun. For the majority it won't make a blind bit of difference after a week or so, other than for being up a day with loved ones. For the few who genuinely have to work just drop the kids at their grandparents or similar. You people take life far too seriously.

Jesus. Please sir, can I have some more? You'd get a much greater drop in employee productivity courtesy of such an attitude....

I feel schools ought to shut at the first opportunity and their parents ought to stay home with them. It's fun. For the majority it won't make a blind bit of difference after a week or so, other than for being up a day with loved ones. For the few who genuinely have to work just drop the kids at their grandparents or similar. You people take life far too seriously.

Brought back to reality - that'll do for me :lol:

Carrot and Stick approach. Someone who doesn't come in because of snow gets paid less but those that do get paid more, I'm happy giving a snow bonus, in fact they can have the money from those who didn't come in.

If everyone comes in, for a lot of business that means more takings (as other places shut) and it would mean my staff get paid more wages.

If I was running a babysitting service I'd be making money hand over fist with your attitude. "Yes, Mr. Stitch I know you used us last week and it was £6.00/hour but today its £20/hour, if you don't like it go elsewhere."

Just to add, purely for future reference, that some of our 'emergency services' are hit during bouts of bad weather such as this. The police ,for example will find themselves 'grounded' if the snow/ice or weather conditions generally become poor.

Comparing education however, with other services and employers is, as 88states, not really balanced.

Either way, despite obvious pleasure many of us will take in receiving an extra day off if it arises, the realities are that schools generally, are open for longer and more days offered for schemes such as after school, holiday and extra curricular clubs being open throughout the year.

Anyway - must get on with evaluations now :wink:

I felt sorry for the copper I saw standing at Haymarket metro station this evening (think Market Street for Manchester), he looked frozen solid. Its unusal for me to see a copper there and his floursecent yellow jacket looked very thin.

If I was running a babysitting service I'd be making money hand over fist with your attitude. "Yes, Mr. Stitch I know you used us last week and it was £6.00/hour but today its £20/hour, if you don't like it go elsewhere."

I remember a petrol station taking a similar approach during the tanker drivers' dispute around 10 years ago.

The price of 80p a litre went up by 3p or 4p at most places when they had fuel in, this one guy racked the price up to £2.50 a litre for the duration of the dispute and raked in a fortune.

Six months later his business closed down because while his customers bought from him when they were desperate, they dropped him like a stone as soon as market conditions returned to normal.

I remember a petrol station taking a similar approach during the tanker drivers' dispute around 10 years ago.

The price of 80p a litre went up by 3p or 4p at most places when they had fuel in, this one guy racked the price up to £2.50 a litre for the duration of the dispute and raked in a fortune.

Six months later his business closed down because while his customers bought from him when they were desperate, they dropped him like a stone as soon as market conditions returned to normal.

Yeah good point, but even if you didn't put the prices up there is a supply and demand issue, demand is vastly increased but supply is decreased (a lot of the babysitters i had as a child did other stuff during normal working hours and used babysitting as an income supplement- students for example)

As for the Emergency Services, there are shirkers in all walks of life, but in general the people who join those services genuinely enjoy helping people and make every effort to do so. They don't often last long in those kinds of jobs if they're not cut out for them, so you're more likely to see those workers putting in the extra effort to get to work.

Aww shucks.... I just joined to get the chicks!

Only joking.........

Or am I?