What a terrible display from the referee today first time I have seen home fans chanting you donbt know what your doing when an opposition player gets sent off, as for the penalty I thought it was very harsh, we should have had a couple of penaltys too

Same here, but rightly so, there were similar tackles flying in all game and he just picked that one out. Inconsistant ref. bloody crap!

Same here, but rightly so, there were similar tackles flying in all game and he just picked that one out. Inconsistant ref. bloody crap!

Shocking performance, lost control and lost respect of everybody in the ground.

that's what is so annoying with referees. it didnt look like our penalty shouts were much but there were so many times when he made the wrong decision.

we had about 30 appeals for handball in their box. I reckon at least a couple of them were definite penalties. clown.

Especially considering the soft one we gave away at Hartlepool. At least 2 of our attempts on target struck a defenders arm.

Anyone get a good view of their pen? Was it soft or legitimate?

I believe that todays referee is on the elite list for the premiership. I would suggest that they take a video of today's match show it to all the "premiership" refs at their weekly meeting on Friday and show how not to referee a game.

I've no idea if we woulkd have won, drawn or lost today if a competent (all right a standard run of the mill) referee had been appointed, as we would have seen a totally different game. The game would have flown differentl.

Mr Taylor, clearly either doesn't know the rules or chose or failed to implement them.

There were a number of obvious fouls in the 1st half, mainly by us on Rochdale players that were not sanctioned with free kicks. At first I thought he was trying to allow the game to flow, but the longer the game went on the clearer it became that he just was not awarding obvious fouls.

I can't comment on the Rochdale penalty because I didn't see the incident.

The foul on White shortly after the penalty was probably the most obvious all afternoon, yet he failed to even acknowledge the challenge.

The clear handball in the Rochdale box that he chose to ignore. He might have well kept hold of the ball and run 100 yards for a touch down american football style. Scandalous

His failing to award numerous free kicks against the Rochdale keeper for holding the ball in excess of 6 seconds (in excess of 15 seconds more than once) and compounding the error by booking Trotman for interference. ( The rule is that you cannot move in front of the keeper. On review of the video, it will show that Trotman was mopving out of the way and that the keeper followed him)

And finally and most bizzarly the sending off of the Rochdale full back for the challenge on Evina. At worst a yellow. I have never seen the other teams fans chant "you don't know what your doing" after sending off an opponent.

The most outroageous performance from an official since Clattenberg against Brentford on that Tuesday night.

We often complain about officials at this level, yet this was supposed to be one of the games "elite." Priceless

Can we go back to one of our normal, non premiership, non put me in the paper tomorrow refs on Saturday please, becazuse it really does spoil a game.

Oh and well done Rochdale. I don't think they will go down this season. On another day they could have been well beaten, but they are dogged, determined and organised and will pick up enough points to survive.

Us, well last season we wouldn't have been having this discussion becasue we wouldn't have been in Rochdale's half to be controversial in the 1st place.

thought he was ok in the first half, he didnt really get anything wrong and let play flow like you should in a derby game but the second half he was awful. the sending off was never a sending, the challenge on evina was a clear free-kick, you even heard the player hit him and from where i was sat he gave us a couple of corners which looked liked clear goal kicks.

Thought the guy was alright. More a bunch of fans angry that their team can't change pressure into goals. He didn't give handballs at all and got the maor decisions correct. Then again, the Hartlepool ref (from Blunderland) set my new year standards.

Got the major decisions right???

The sending off?

The decision not to award the fould on White at 1-0?

Ok your fishing and I've been :hooked:

I actually thought he was as bad if not worse for Dale as he was for us, especially in the 1st half. I would just have liked to have seen the game pan out properly. The problem he set himself was that in the 1st half he let challenge after challenge go and a good number of them were fouls that would have been given by the majority of officials. To then send off the Dale player for the challenge on Evina is plain ludicrous and out of keeping with the rest of his decisions on challenges. The same point it would appear applies to the penalty given for the challenge by Rubes and then a few minutes later no foul being given for the challenge on White which effectively took him out of the game.

Which was worse or more cynical, the challenge on Evina or the challenge on White

The major decisions being those that affected the result. The sending off, agreed. The tackle on White in the area (that injured him)? Or the foul he missed, that let's face it - you aren't going to get everything.

I don't do the old fishing expeditions myself, but if I did I'd start off by suggesting that Hartlepool's second wasn't Brill's fault. :wink:

NB. As mentioned, he made a decision early doors that handballs really had to be 'intentional'.

I really had no problem with this one.

The major decisions being those that affected the result. The sending off, agreed. The tackle on White in the area (that injured him)? Or the foul he missed, that let's face it - you aren't going to get everything.

I don't do the old fishing expeditions myself, but if I did I'd start off by suggesting that Hartlepool's second wasn't Brill's fault. :wink:

NB. As mentioned, he made a decision early doors that handballs really had to be 'intentional'.

I really had no problem with this one.

Just out of interest then how many major decisions were there?

You've acknowledged the sending off and challenge on White. I would say the penalty for Dale could be 1 as I haven't seen it played back yet and missed the actuall challenge at the time. Saying that he got the Dale penalty right that's at least 2 out of 3 wrong. Besides that if you take away 27 of the 28 claims for penalties for handball by the Chaddy end, you are left with one other major shout for a penalty, which imo was absolutely nailed on handball and 99 times out of 100 you get them.

So I'd say of the 4 major decisions that affected the result he's got at least 3 wrong. The rest of the game he was just plain crap against both teams and either did not know the rules or chose to ignore or apply them properly.

I'm pretty sure that the report Dale submit will be as critical as our own and you couldn't blame them

Slight jump on what I was saying.

(i) Penalty - correct.

(ii) sending off - blatantly wrong.

(iii) (injury) challenge on White - correct.

(iv) 1,000 handballs - correct. He made the decision to make it very deliberate handball (or hands raised in the air, above the head). None of these were that (I believe this is what was agreed would be a penalty before the seasons started?).

As I said, you don't get everything right, but this guy was far from a bad one. Just people were miffed at losing to Fourth division garbage.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

one final point on major decisions, is that when O'Grady knocked in the rebound from the penalty, he was in the box when the penalty was taken and he was the closest player to the referee who is charged with watching for encroachment.

Points to lineseman (ass ref!) who gave lots for rockydally.....nowt for owdham

one final point on major decisions, is that when O'Grady knocked in the rebound from the penalty, he was in the box when the penalty was taken and he was the closest player to the referee who is charged with watching for encroachment.

Keiran Lee wasn't switched on enough for the rebound.