Good Win Today

we didn't play as well as we did against Rochdale, but we defended a lot better, hazell and trotman gave austin no chance at all, and we made chances.

swindon were a good team, but we shut them out and played some decent football. thought morais, taylor and evina all played well too.

amos made a great save at 1-0 that kept us in it, and the defence looked more confident than with brill in net.

good result without playing too well against a good side. shame about the poor crowd, 3300 home fans for a league game isnt good at all.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hated the game. But I'll take the result.

I thought our midfield was second best in the tackle and this left us a little exposed. Fortunately the back 5 were a solid unit. Trotman motm for me, but Black looked more assured than I've seen him for some time, Rubes looked accomplished and Amos marshalled the defence (although his kicking is no better than Brill, he got lucky with the free kick and missed a cross first half - great save at 1-0 although it was a nice height for him). But the defence appeared to know exactly what their keeper was going to do.

Still, we created chances and scored two. Morais looked special. Taylor was creative (although vanished at the start of the second half). Evina was good going forwards and should have finished his long run.

Lee's dive for the non-penalty was poor. Evina perhaps had a fairer shout for a spot kick, but I didn't think there was enough in it.

In the end, it was cold and we were lucky to win. But I'll take it.

Edited by opinions4u

good result without playing too well against a good side. shame about the poor crowd, 3300 home fans for a league game isnt good at all.

I acrtually thought they gacve the crowd as 4-thousand odd, not 3. We had over 5k of "home" fans vs 'dale. about 2k didn't bother to come back. Sometimes I think some people should just stay away permanently, rather than just turn up for the "big" games. Do they actually deserve the right to call themselves supporters with that type of attendance?

I hated the game. But I'll take the result.

I thought our midfield was second best in the tackle and this left us a little exposed. Fortunately the back 5 were a solid unit. Trotman motm for me, but Black looked more assured than I've seen him for some time, Rubes looked accomplished and Amos marshalled the defence (although his kicking is no better than Brill, he got lucky with the free kick and missed a cross first half - great save at 1-0 although it was a nice height for him). But the defence appeared to know exactly what their keeper was going to do.

Still, we created chances and scored two. Morais looked special. Taylor was creative (although vanished at the start of the second half). Evina was good going forwards and should have finished his long run.

Lee's dive for the non-penalty was poor. Evina perhaps had a fairer shout for a spot kick, but I didn't think there was enough in it.

In the end, it was cold and we were lucky to win. But I'll take it.

Really? I thought we were pretty comfy all day and despite their possession, they created little. Don't know whether or not Dickov told them to sit back and hit them on the counter, but we did it pretty comfortably I thought. Not great to watch, especially at home, but I'd take this performance and this result over the opposite against Dale.

Trotters was immense, as was Hazell after last week. Black was as good as I've seen him and Morais was awesome. On the negative side, I thought Stephens was poor. Slowed the counter attack game down, and often chose the wrong option. The midfield was a bit of a non-entity today.

Good to get back to winning ways though, especially against a bogey side.

Well done boys.

we didn't play as well as we did against Rochdale, but we defended a lot better, hazell and trotman gave austin no chance at all, and we made chances.

swindon were a good team, but we shut them out and played some decent football. thought morais, taylor and evina all played well too.

amos made a great save at 1-0 that kept us in it, and the defence looked more confident than with brill in net.

Yes we did, the ref was of better quality today.

Really? I thought we were pretty comfy all day and despite their possession, they created little.

I think the Amos save and the free kick against the post suggests they created enough to grab a point.

I suppose if we'd played like that away from home and won I'd be describing it as the perfect away display.

I think the Amos save and the free kick against the post suggests they created enough to grab a point.

I suppose if we'd played like that away from home and won I'd be describing it as the perfect away display.

He cleared well from the corner but the one that hit the post would have hit the back of his head after hitting the back of the net before he landed....well beaten.

He cleared well from the corner but the one that hit the post would have hit the back of his head after hitting the back of the net before he landed....well beaten.

thought today we did quite well considering it was on the back of 2 defeats and losing our home unbeaten run...wasnt the best of games to watch but we stuck at it and ground them down...

thought the new keeper did ok,obviously been told to kick the way he started doing,after 3 attempts of us not winning it he changed and tried to hit big tounky every time..something which made them have to defend against...was well beaten for the one which hit the upright...but his saves he produced were first class...particularly like the way the defense n keepers were shaking each others hands and geeing each other up as one unit start of second half...great team spirit..

thought he should have taken taylor off as he looked goosed...still think we need another striker of more potent quality...

midfield..apart from take corners and a penaly i thought stephens had a poor game,wasnt in it for long periods no tackling and looked out of sorts...still 3 points back up to 9th with 2 games in hand..ill settle for that.

...Amos marshalled the defence (although his kicking is no better than Brill, he got lucky with the free kick and missed a cross first half - great save at 1-0 although it was a nice height for him).

Amos did OK for a debut with strangers, but Brill would have been slaughtered by many for a similar display.

Amos did OK for a debut with strangers, but Brill would have been slaughtered by many for a similar display.

I don't know about slaughtered. Great save, medicore kicking and missing a cross is par for the course!

The key difference I noticed was the communication. Amos made sure the defenders knew what he was doing. It wasn't just about shouting after the event.

We'll see how it pans out.

i doubt that..brill is a decent shot stopper,but doesnt command his area and cant make a decision on coming for the ball or not...the lad did ok for a debut??? what did you want one handed push ups or something....he kept a clean sheet made a some good saves has decent distribution and actually looks confident instead of scared...sheesh

Great win considering Swindon dictated play for large parts of the game.

The early goal from Taylor helped to settle us and Amos had a good debut considering he probably hadn't a clue as to how good(?) his defenders would be or what style we played.

I thought we ran out of steam in the second half (particularly our front two) and consequently defended deeper than we should have but fortunately we had a sound defence (one or two glitches apart) and, for once, we drew the long straw when it came to the penalty. Undoubtedly Stephens best contribution to the game.

Very encouraging.

i doubt that..brill is a decent shot stopper,but doesnt command his area and cant make a decision on coming for the ball or not...the lad did ok for a debut??? what did you want one handed push ups or something....he kept a clean sheet made a some good saves has decent distribution and actually looks confident instead of scared...sheesh

I was commenting on oinions4u's summary of Amos's performance:

...Amos marshalled the defence (although his kicking is no better than Brill, he got lucky with the free kick and missed a cross first half - great save at 1-0 although it was a nice height for him).

Amos's debut was not exceptional, it was OK - I pointed out yesterday that all keepers make mistakes - but if Brill had "got lucky" with the same as Amos, his detractors would have been on his back.

Amos's debut was not exceptional, it was OK - I pointed out yesterday that all keepers make mistakes - but if Brill had "got lucky" with the same as Amos, his detractors would have been on his back.

Maybe so, Diego, but Brill has had plenty of time to prove his worth and improve his game. He makes too many mistakes and has cost us too many points since he's been at the club. Amos hasn't. That's why the reactions have been so.

had to work today but caught the second half on latics player...sounded like swindon had a lot of the ball but we counter attacked well and actually created more chances! Is this a fair reflection of the match?

yeah, pretty much. sounds like an away game but latics had a plan and stuck to it and defended really well. good to see dickov changing around the tactics.

had to work today but caught the second half on latics player...sounded like swindon had a lot of the ball but we counter attacked well and actually created more chances! Is this a fair reflection of the match?

Pretty much....We've definitely played better this season, but restricted them to very few clear chances. We defended much better today and it's nice to win without hitting top form.

You normally talk a lot of sense Diego, but Amos was the difference between a draw or possible defeat today his two saves were the difference - one was outstanding, I can't ever remember Brill getting a standing ovation for a save like he did from the RRE and Main Stand in addition his handling was assured and his kicking was mostly good and far more accurate than Brill's, Brill has had his good moments this season but has sipped back into bad habits - he let in two poor goals against Plymouth, and has regularly made errors since. As for criticising an Amosesque performance from Brill today - nah we would have been dancing in the streets - Amos showed the bare minimum we should expect from Brill. Sadly 9.9 times out of 10 we didn't get it thus why he was dropped after a similar number of games for the second time in two seasons, that's nothing to do with the criticism from the crowd that's the opinion of TWO managers - one of whom signed him.

Even my seven year old daughter attending her fourth ever FULL game (she normally leaves after an hour after dancing for Blues Crew) said she thought "Amos was better than the goalie who made a mess against Rochdale…" and "Why can't Dean Brill catch a ball like that…" Never argue with a young lady…

You normally talk a lot of sense Diego, but Amos was the difference between a draw or possible defeat today his two saves were the difference - one was outstanding, I can't ever remember Brill getting a standing ovation for a save like he did from the RRE and Main Stand in addition his handling was assured and his kicking was mostly good and far more accurate than Brill's, Brill has had his good moments this season but has sipped back into bad habits - he let in two poor goals against Plymouth, and has regularly made errors since. As for criticising an Amosesque performance from Brill today - nah we would have been dancing in the streets - Amos showed the bare minimum we should expect from Brill. Sadly 9.9 times out of 10 we didn't get it thus why he was dropped after a similar number of games for the second time in two seasons, that's nothing to do with the criticism from the crowd that's the opinion of TWO managers - one of whom signed him.

Even my seven year old daughter attending her fourth ever FULL game (she normally leaves after an hour after dancing for Blues Crew) said she thought "Amos was better than the goalie who made a mess against Rochdale…" and "Why can't Dean Brill catch a ball like that…" Never argue with a young lady…

Unfortunatley Brill is an "unlucky" goalie.

Invariably his mistakes and indecisions leads to goals.

All goalies make mistakes but Brill is one of them where a far higher percentage of his mistakes lead to goals.

As my manager used to say to me - Better to be an average lucky goalie than a good unlucky one !!!!!!!

All goalies make mistakes but Brill is one of them where a far higher percentage of his mistakes lead to goals.

As my manager used to say to me - Better to be an average lucky goalie than a good unlucky one !!!!!!!

I posted something similar last season but with Brill he just doesn't seem to have the basics! His handling is poor, susceptible to any ball hit near his feet or across him, is never on his toes and is often beaten whilst statuesque, flaps at crosses, mostly rooted to his line and his kicking is :censored:e and often a lot of his saves look panicky and even sometimes a ball hits him whilst he looks resigned to being beaten…and makes mistakes when under no pressure, is slow to react and get back to his feet and can't sort a wall at set-pieces.

Apart from that he's very good :wink:

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

Decent shot shopper? He does the odd good save, but most of the time he is quite shocking at shot stopping amongst other things.