Owtb Virus warning

na , go out and spend 80 quid on some from some clueless bugger at PC world :wink:

Yeah i did that :petesake: So is Microsoft Security Essentials decent then? Or should i spend another £80 to clog up my computer again when my Norton subscription runs out?

this site is a known hotbed for viruses, phishing and basicly and the annoying computer nerd stuff that normal people just dont understand

A known hotbed?

Care to ellaborate? I'm not aware of any issues and I'd be very concerned if there were any you knew of that hadn't been raised with us...

My Norton software always initially blocks site because of "iframe exploit". Ackey - please let me know how you can get rid of this aparrent security issue.

There's nothing we can do without upgrading the entire board with our hosts. This isn't going to happen any time soon as none of the current staff have the time, nor do Rummy or Steve who were previously responsible for it (before they left).

yeah wherever ive used computers they always bring it up. my old job, oldham library, failsworth library and i know my brothers IT people at his place said something to him aswell. i dont know any specifics, just that ive been quizzed about who and what this site is various times, either viruses or worms or are they the same thing?!!

i had a laptop a year or so ago and i had kaspersky, it was always tellin me it had stopped intruders when i was on here!!

Yeah i did that :petesake: So is Microsoft Security Essentials decent then? Or should i spend another £80 to clog up my computer again when my Norton subscription runs out?

yeah security essentials is the best free one at the moment, AVG is ok and Avast isnt as good as it once was but is ok.

And anyone using IE or firefox, get Chrome or Opera instead.

Edited by daniel8157

yeah security essentials is the best free one at the moment, AVG and Avast arent as good as they once were.

And anyone using IE or firefox, get Chrome or Opera instead.

I've got Chrome installed, is it quicker than IE? I'm a bit lazy about using new software, and i know it's petty but the automatic spell checker as you're typing is a bit annoying.

I've got Chrome installed, is it quicker than IE? I'm a bit lazy about using new software, and i know it's petty but the automatic spell checker as you're typing is a bit annoying.

Using Opera 11, quick and lots of features, love the speed dial and tabs.

err just to meander off topic slightly i treated myself to a ps3 recently, im too concerned about using it to browse the web, can any boffins clarify if it is safe to do so or not, and any sort of sites to avoid?

As good as the PS3 is, I think the browser is appalling. I wouldn't bother with it. If you do, I would avoid the usual suspects and you should be ok......

To anyone bagging Norton; the reason it slows things down is because it works. Internet Security 11 is about 17 million times better than anything else out there; trust me, I genuinely do work in IT security.

And for £23 to cover 3 PC's, it hardly breaks the bank....

Aye, the paid ones are much better than free alternatives. I've used free antivirus before they couldn't detect a murder if they were Inspector Morse.

But I ain't paying for antivirus. Bootleg copy of Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 all the way for me.

That is utter crap. A lot of the free ones are just as good if not better then the paid ones. Most of these companies make their money on the commercial versions and offer a scalled down version for home/personal users. This is exactly what the like of Norton, Kaspersky, Mcafee etc do but they decide to charge you so they make more £££ and they give people the impression that they must be better then free ones as you pay for them.

The likes of Microsoft, Avast and AVG offer free one so that more people use them, hence they become aware of new virus; sooner.

Yes there are some crap free ones but there are also crap paid ones.

At the moment the better ones are

Paid

Bitdefender

Norton

Kaspersky

Panda

F-secure

Zone alarm

Free

AVG

Microsoft Security essentials