Black Swan

pukka

Went to a pre screening of Black Swan on sunday night. I have to say its the best film I've seen in a while. Dont let ballet put you off. Its from the the Director of "The Wrestler" and "Requiem for a dream" (Darren Aronofsky). Its a cross between "The fly", "Rosemarys Baby", "Se7en"" and "Twin Peaks" - with added tutus. The publicity will be about the lesbian scene between Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis - but the film itself deserves better than just being about that.

I'd say its the best film I've seen since "Pans Labyrinth" or "The Dark Knight"

Seriously recommended

Edited by pukka

The wife hasn't figured out why I so ready agreed to go and see this with her, I don't think she knows about the special scene....

I'm going to stick to the line that it has had good reviews and I think it is by the same bloke who did "The Wrestler" and hope she believes me.

The wife hasn't figured out why I so ready agreed to go and see this with her, I don't think she knows about the special scene....

I'm going to stick to the line that it has had good reviews and I think it is by the same bloke who did "The Wrestler" and hope she believes me.

I'm going to it with a lezzie, saves the need for subterfuge.

Saw it last night, not a bad film. Compared to the "Rom-coms" trailered before it Black Swan is a masterpiece!

THE scene isn't bad, they try and sell the cinema on the "big screen" experience and for once they aren't wrong. Scenes of that nature are much better on the big screen rather than via adobe flash player when she's round her mothers.......

A Film '94 verdict of 7 out of 10.

Was expecting a thread about the boozer on Huddersfield Road! So is thus film a supernatural murder thriller type jobbie? Thought it was just about ballet dancers.....

I would have read it as a psychological thingy rather than supernatural, although you wouldn't be too sure at times (not wanting to say too much). I enjoyed it, as did my friend (no surprises there). Although it's only a 15 some of the gory bits were disturbing some of the ladies in the cinema quite a bit, some daft cow behind me kept loudly going on about how bad it was, I was only 7 pints away from suggesting she :censored: off home if it bothered her that much.

Pretty quirky film, so depends on whether it clicks for you I think. I liked it but wouldn't rate it as highly as Pukka did.

As for the scene, I was horrified at the levels of nudity and graphic representation.

Do I go see the lesbian ballet film with Natalie Portman and that other lassie or do I watch one man's brave struggle (just as the real fighting is about to get going elsewhere) against his st-st-st-st-st-st- speech impediment?

Decisions decisions.

Pukka was right that the lezzie thing would get a disproportionate amount of the interest, it's not the main thing at all in the piece.

My flatmates, who are both film buffs with taste I would listen to, enjoyed the stammerer thing. Not sure it's for me though.

It seems to be a film you either love - or hate.

The kings speech. I haven't seen that. I'm so anti royalist that I can't feel sorry for him & therefore the story won't work for me. I've no doubt the central performances are great though.

• 4 weeks later...

Went to see it last night. Very very good, if you haven't seen it by now I would definately still bother, I managed to get the hidden meanings and stuff which I'm normally very dense on.

Definately a psychological movie, and some bits were strangely a bit gruesome. The girl-girl scene was OK, but I thought there were more erotic bits in it.

Oh and the cinema in Cabot circus, Bristol, is a lot better than anything similar in Manchester, which is very disappointing.