Students in Manchester

Lukers1

The Lib Dem's are dead to me, Zero's. For this reason alone. I heard with my own ears the Didsbury MP (John Leech) say they would oppose tuition fees and they've done almost nothing - aside from as you say prevent the full Americanistion of the system.

And if anyone thinks that's an acceptable system then go research the class gulf in the US between those who can afford to attend University. It's sickening.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically similar approach to the American system.. Private loans, open market, Unis left to charge whatever they want... and everything that goes with that...

They where actually largely pegged back by the Lib Dems... Still, the Lib Dems sold out overall...

Is that a yes or a no?

And is that certifiably the intent of the Conservatives?

This is me following politics, listening to what the ministers said they wanted, reading what is in their manifestos, understanding the ethos behind said parties etc etc etc...

If you want me to find you a link with all this in it for you nicely condensed then I can't give you that... These are my feelings and opinions based on what I have heard and read...

And they're one's I'd be inclined to agree with.

I've managed to do some reading on that book - if this is something which is of genuine concern I'd rent it from the Library - which reminds me that the Tories want to close 400 libraries around the UK... who uses them you ask? The poor.

:censored:.

And they're one's I'd be inclined to agree with.

I've managed to do some reading on that book - if this is something which is of genuine concern I'd rent it from the Library - which reminds me that the Tories want to close 400 libraries around the UK... who uses them you ask? The poor.

:censored:.

Two are being closed near me... Luckily the one most local is staying...

Its not just the "poor" either... Heavily used by children and elderly from all parts of society. Depends on the area but ours is a real community hub and the two which are going are going to be really missed. The kids from those areas will now have to walk about 30 mins to ours.

Been using the Library since having the baby. Great supply of bedtime books for her :D

Edited by oafc0000

This is me following politics, listening to what the ministers said they wanted, reading what is in their manifestos, understanding the ethos behind said parties etc etc etc...

If you want me to find you a link with all this in it for you nicely condensed then I can't give you that... These are my feelings and opinions based on what I have heard and read...

That's just it, I'm not having a pop at you and calling you a liar or owt. I just need some official clarification.

Exactly. Who can afford to buy the hundreds of books you need when you have a newborn? It's great to hear you're reading to her - my fondest memories as a kid are my parents reading to me.

I think the thing that drives my thought process more than any other is a desire for equality. Be it economical, social, legal, etc.

We legally made women equal, then non-whites, gays and so on. Socially and economically those changes are following suit, slowly but they're coming.

In the space of a few months the Tories have increased VAT (hits the lower class hardest), increased student fees (hits the lower class hardest) and planned closure of 400 libraries (hits the lower class hardest). They're recreating a class divide this country has worked hard to overcome.

Oh, and they're selling off public forests - who can afford to buy this plush green space that once belonged to the UK population as a whole? The upper classes.

:censored:ing. :censored:.

That's just it, I'm not having a pop at you and calling you a liar or owt. I just need some official clarification.

That's called Argument From Authority:

The basic structure of such arguments is as follows: Professor X believes A, Professor X speaks from authority, therefore A is true. Often this argument is implied by emphasizing the many years of experience, or the formal degrees held by the individual making a specific claim. The converse of this argument is sometimes used, that someone does not possess authority, and therefore their claims must be false. (This may also be considered an ad-hominen logical fallacy – see below.) In practice this can be a complex logical fallacy to deal with. It is legitimate to consider the training and experience of an individual when examining their assessment of a particular claim. Also, a consensus of scientific opinion does carry some legitimate authority. But it is still possible for highly educated individuals, and a broad consensus to be wrong – speaking from authority does not make a claim true. This logical fallacy crops up in more subtle ways also. For example, UFO proponents have argued that UFO sightings by airline pilots should be given special weight because pilots are trained observers, are reliable characters, and are trained not to panic in emergencies. In essence, they are arguing that we should trust the pilot’s authority as an eye witness. There are many subtypes of the argument from authority, essentially referring to the implied source of authority. A common example is the argument ad populi – a belief must be true because it is popular, essentially assuming the authority of the masses. Another example is the argument from antiquity – a belief has been around for a long time and therefore must be true.

It politics... You won't get it... Things will just change and that will be that... Vote wisely...

You will need a party to stick to its manifesto for a start... Hasn't happened in my life time...

You have no choice but to read between the lines, listen to what back bencher's are saying as much as ministers, what a party has done in the past, you can only guess at what they will do in the future...

When Cameron says he wants "root and branch reform of the NHS"... To me that says privatisation of the NHS based on my own research, reading and history of his party. You won't find that anywhere official though although it could be very true.

If your waiting for official clarification, you will get that once the vote has been cast in the house of commons. To late by then...

Exactly. Who can afford to buy the hundreds of books you need when you have a newborn? It's great to hear you're reading to her - my fondest memories as a kid are my parents reading to me.

Done a lot of research in child development in preparation for my little one. They reckon they single mostly effective thing you can do for your child from as early as possible is to read to them. She loves books and she is only 10 months old. Improve her patience and its made her a really engaging child.

Edited by oafc0000

I think the thing that drives my thought process more than any other is a desire for equality. Be it economical, social, legal, etc.

We legally made women equal, then non-whites, gays and so on. Socially and economically those changes are following suit, slowly but they're coming.

In the space of a few months the Tories have increased VAT (hits the lower class hardest), increased student fees (hits the lower class hardest) and planned closure of 400 libraries (hits the lower class hardest). They're recreating a class divide this country has worked hard to overcome.

Oh, and they're selling off public forests - who can afford to buy this plush green space that once belonged to the UK population as a whole? The upper classes.

:censored:ing. :censored:.

That said, they are doing a lot of good work to rein in the banks... oh wait...

No offence to you Zorro but I think this is a big problem...

Normal people just want clarity and don't want to work for it...

...but we have a media infected with people who attended the top universities from the best of backgrounds spoon feeding information to joe public... the amount of bollocks and propaganda I see in the written and spoken press is a joke... and peoples ability to buy the bull:censored: is even more scary... We saw this during te election when joe public was watching Sky news and reading the News of the world for their balanced coverage of the election...

and don't even get me started on the fair and neutral BBC :)

I try to read a couple of different papers, from the Guardian to the Sun to see the angles being pushed on any given subject to try and form a balanced view point. Most people will just read the Sun and just go with it.

Edited by oafc0000

I'm happy to go a-Googlin' - and have done on many occasions - but, as you would expect, there are contradictory opinions on every single topic of conversation. Kinda hard to sort the truth from the propaganda; and therein lies the problem. It's easy to align yourself to a particular party and buy into what they purport to stand for. Whether or not it's true or bull:censored: remains to be seen.

Thing is - I studied International Business, I have no dogmatic objection to Tory policy in terms of free market economics. I think they're scum for how they act, not who they are.

It just pains me to see the free market ideal being bastardized in such an horrific manner. Smith's ideal wasn't to have a 'free' market where you let some people off of a debt of £5bn whilst aggressively chasing those who owe £500 in council tax (personal experience - red top letter, court injunction threat due to a clerical error at the bank).

That's 0.00001 of what Vodafone owe. I'm clearly doing it wrong!