Students in Manchester

Lukers1

Its being reported that 700 have broken away and heading into city centre, some are abusing shoppers and kicking cars.

Although Im all for peaceful protest but as soon as they begin mindless vandalism they need to be on the end of a hard thrashing from batons.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a student myself with good friends at Manchester. I dont actually believe any of these numpties are serious students at Uni for the right reasons. SO whatever happens please do not assume we are all utter :banned: idiots. Shoot the bloody lot of them for me its an excuse to be a :clown: as a flat mate has just said "What a bunch of xxxxx - does us all a favour .....not."

Scab.

As a student myself with good friends at Manchester. I dont actually believe any of these numpties are serious students at Uni for the right reasons. SO whatever happens please do not assume we are all utter :banned: idiots. Shoot the bloody lot of them for me its an excuse to be a :clown: as a flat mate has just said "What a bunch of xxxxx - does us all a favour .....not."

We can't all have Acres in Springhead Tory boy.

worrying thing is that there are 600,000 students who have never worked since they have left college or university.

a lot of tax to be taken to cover these people!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12314495

Yes in some ways the new proposed system is fairer as it means that those who despite going to university don't see the employment benefit of it don't have to pay.

But as you rightly point out someone has to pay and that's the tax payer.

One way where the new system falls down is those who go to university in this country but move abroad before they fully pay back the money, so don't end up paying it as its a tax thing, i.e. taken off your pay-check. However, its my understanding that with student loans this still often applies now anyway.

Oh and incidentally, has anyone found out if all the trouble makers were students? As even at the students march some of the trouble makers were not students. This one had union involvment, but somehow all the trouble makers have been labelled as students.

Yes in some ways the new proposed system is fairer as it means that those who despite going to university don't see the employment benefit of it don't have to pay.

How "new" are you talking ? Since tuition fees / top fees came in you haven't had to pay them back if you are out of work...

But as you rightly point out someone has to pay and that's the tax payer.

One day the students will get a job and start paying taxes... A point that seems to get lost...

How "new" are you talking ? Since tuition fees / top fees came in you haven't had to pay them back if you are out of work...

One day the students will get a job and start paying taxes... A point that seems to get lost...

For the first one I think you are wrong. Tuition fees are paid for no matter how much money the person is making. As they are paid for whilst the person is still in uni. Student loans on the other hand, which may be the method of paying the fees but is not always, are not paid back until the student is earnign a certain figure. I assume that since student loans are currently more than student fees to cover living expenses as well as fees, because students will find it hard to make money whilst studying, the same will still apply to them as they will no doubt remain.

For the second, everyone in employment pays taxes do they? I'm not sure. Not to mention those that go to uni and end up not getting a job which is taxed, permanently, for numerous reasons.

worrying thing is that there are 600,000 students who have never worked since they have left college or university.

a lot of tax to be taken to cover these people!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12314495

No, he doesn't mention University or students, he mentions young people leaving school and college.

For the first one I think you are wrong. Tuition fees are paid for no matter how much money the person is making. As they are paid for whilst the person is still in uni. Student loans on the other hand, which may be the method of paying the fees but is not always, are not paid back until the student is earnign a certain figure. I assume that since student loans are currently more than student fees to cover living expenses as well as fees, because students will find it hard to make money whilst studying, the same will still apply to them as they will no doubt remain.

I see your thinking now... When tution fees first came in you had to pay them upfront... every term... The student loan was the same system, you don't pay until your earning over £15k (its now higher)... So I suppose it is a bit better from a upfront costs prospective, but the new lot will be paying a hell of a lot more than I ever did and it will take them about 30 years to pay it all back. Its taken me 10 years.

For the second, everyone in employment pays taxes do they? I'm not sure. Not to mention those that go to uni and end up not getting a job which is taxed, permanently, for numerous reasons.

If you earn over the tax free threshold you pay tax so don't know what you are on about really with this one...

I know you're just being antagonistic. But I'll bite (I know you like that!)

I was the first person from my family to go to Uni. I've seen my dad cry twice - once the day his dad was buried and once the day I graduated.

I got a poxy degree from a mediocre University because of the mistakes I made. However, I was the first person from my family to even consider Uni as a possibility because of the economic background my family come from and the :censored:ing hard work my parents did both in raising me as a person and by creating a stable lower-middle class background from which we could (with me working pretty much full time whilst at Uni) afford for me to go (I paid the c£3000 fees and have a c£6000 loan).

I have never wanted for things in life, I consider myself exceptionally lucky. We've always been 'stable' unlike some who live in a literal hand-to-mouth system.

Now, today as things stand my family would have to consider long and hard as to if they could afford for me to go to Uni. As I say, we were far from destitute. We had a car and annual holidays in the UK. We had Sky and even a computer. But if the cost of Uni was as it is now it's unlikely I could have afforded to go.

For me that wouldn't have been a great loss to society, as I said I wasted the opportunity to learn a tangible skill and instead have a Degree which so far hasn't proved to be of great worth to me. I will work hard and deal with that. Society wouldn't have been lessened by my absence.

However there are people out there, I can name two I know alone, who also wouldn't be able to afford Uni today who went when I was there. One studied Physics with Astrophysics and the other Physics with Applied Mathematical Physics. Two of the most book-smart intelligent people I've ever met. One's now working at an inner-city school in Hull teaching, the other I don't know we lost touch.

However - these are people who have a gift, an incredible ability and they would have gone on to be builders or shopkeepers. There is nothing in the slightest wrong with these jobs. But if you're gifted, if you can offer society more than the minimum, should that not be encouraged?

I'm not blind to the cost of education and don't expect the free-for-all that can occur when higher-education is free. What I do object to is the elite enacting a law which protects their access to education whilst simultaneously reducing the access of the poor.

tl;dr - education should not have barriers to entry for those academically gifted enough to study.

You know as well as I do that I haven't a bleeding clue what I'm talking about.

Fees aren't paid up front. Grants and bursaries are available, as are part-time jobs. Use the degree you gain to get a good, well-paid job. Pay off the cost of your education. Sorted.

You know as well as I do that I haven't a bleeding clue what I'm talking about.

Fees aren't paid up front. Grants and bursaries are available, as are part-time jobs. Use the degree you gain to get a good, well-paid job. Pay off the cost of your education. Sorted.

and tomorrow?

My concern is mainly for the future... To an extent we won this round... This isn't what the tories wanted but it took a small step towards it. And when / if the tories ever get a majority and get a chance to do what they want to do the opportunities available to working class children will very much be further restricted.

I was the first person in my family to go University and its helped to improve my life AND I have paid back for it and then some. I will no doubt keep paying back more tax than the average person for the rest of my life.

I just want to make sure other kids from my background get the same chances in life. The middle and upper classes will always find their way to universities. For the working class the opportunities are going to go in reverse.

Edited by oafc0000

One of the arguments is the most gifted children will always get a chance thanks to scholarships etc etc...

To be quite frank it annoys me...

It annoys me that a not so gifted child from a middle / upper class family still gets educational opportunities yet a not so gifted child from a working class family might have doors slammed in their face. It happens now but will happen more and more in the future if we let the current direction continue.

Once we get a system that slams the doors equally then I will be happy... Yeah we are million miles away from it but I know how I will vote and push during my time on the planet... It amazes me how many working class people help close the doors by not opening there eyes and thinking before they say, yeah sod em, make them pay...

Edited by oafc0000

I don't know what the future holds. What is the Tories' plan? Should they find themselves in a position of absolute power, are they going to hike tuition fees up to extortionate levels and demand it all up front?

Basically similar approach to the American system.. Private loans, open market, Unis left to charge whatever they want... and everything that goes with that...

They where actually largely pegged back by the Lib Dems... Still, the Lib Dems sold out overall...

Basically Z - this scares this :censored: out of me that I will not be able to send my kids, whenever those poor little bastards are born, to University should they decide that's something that they'd be interested in doing.

You, I would hazard a guess, are from a similar economic background to me and you already have Baby-Z.

Be careful what you dismiss mate, this is not a good thing.