Areas for a New Stadium in Oldham

Edhunter mentioned that the Lancaster Club could possibly still be used as it was intended to generate additional revenue, meaning we could find another smaller site in Oldham to build the new stadium.

Can anyone suggest possible sites in the borough that would accomodate a stadium and have good transport links etc?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Edhunter mentioned that the Lancaster Club could possibly still be used as it was intended to generate additional revenue, meaning we could find another smaller site in Oldham to build the new stadium.

Can anyone suggest possible sites in the borough that would accomodate a stadium and have good transport links etc?

Boundary Park :peepwall:

This assumes the club's owners would just 'give' us the Lancaster club land that cost them £3 million. I don't think that is likely if it is not integral to a stadium on that site.

Boundary Park :peepwall:

Sell Boundary park to fund a new stadium HENCE we cant build on Boundray park as the owners havnt got a spare £20 mill in the shed, really how hard can it be to understand................................ :ranting:

Edited by qwerty

The main problem with this is the cost of developig the LAncaster Club area, AND buying the new plot of land AND building a stadium. Strikes me that would cost more than Failsworth, asssuming the TTA are good to their word in handing it over.

But, of course, it has to be looked into, so kudos for asking for suggestions.

The area near the old B&Q? With the metrolink and the dual carriageway links to the motorways and it's central location to the town.

Not big enough, would cause traffic disruption too.

Greengate?

Loads of land in Derker, area has been killed, could be just the lift it needs?

Lots of land around Broadway Business Park?

This assumes the club's owners would just 'give' us the Lancaster club land that cost them £3 million. I don't think that is likely if it is not integral to a stadium on that site.

Perhaps the stadium is needed next door for the other facilities to be built as well. I wouldn't know if this was the case.

If the land was used for what the owners intended for it in the first place then there shouldn't be any reason why it couldn't be used to help fund the club as was originally intended.

The area near the old B&Q? With the metrolink and the dual carriageway links to the motorways and it's central location to the town.

how good would that be for us East Oldhamers :wink:

im sure the landlords of the boozers in town would be happy aswell :grin:

Sell Boundary park to fund a new stadium HENCE we cant build on Boundray park as the owners havnt got a spare £20 mill in the shed, really how hard can it be to understand................................ :ranting:

Don;t go to the Chronicle website qwerty, it will give you a coronary. The number of people there that do not grasp this simple fact after so many years is astounding.

Edited by singe

The main problem with this is the cost of developig the LAncaster Club area, AND buying the new plot of land AND building a stadium. Strikes me that would cost more than Failsworth, asssuming the TTA are good to their word in handing it over.

But, of course, it has to be looked into, so kudos for asking for suggestions.

With all the pressure the council is under with possible legal action isn't it possible a piece of land could be 'found'?

the Matalan site :wink:

i think it was Lookers Carl who mentioned on Saturday that John Battye was overheard in the main stand saying there are 2 potential sites in Oldham

Yup certainly was, although look at it this way.

Those against the Failsworth move were continually told 'there is no other 30 acre site in oldham', and at the later consultations, there was a list of numerous sites and reasons as to why a new stadium could not be built there.

If the council come along with another large site in Oldham that can accomodate a development, then thats not exactly going to come across well after giving it all the 'there is nowhere else its failsworth or bust' talk.

With all the pressure the council is under with possible legal action isn't it possible a piece of land could be 'found'?

In a perfect world the council would buy the land and ground back and look at developing a community stadium and facilities, say thanks very much to Simon and let him leave with his head high and a large cheque. Unfortunately, there's more chance of me waking up with Kelly Brook sat on my face tomorrow morning….

Edited by oafcprozac

In a perfect world the council would buy the land and ground back and look at developing a community stadium and facilities, say thanks very much to Simon and let him leave with his head high and a large and cheque. Unfortunately, there's more chance of me waking up with Kelly Brook sat on my face tomorrow morning….[/b]

That's not what I heard!!!!

A few things I would be interested in being cleared up now. one: How much is the Failsworth land worth now after this ruling? two: Could housing be built on the Failsworth land (or a sizeable chunk of it) and what amount would that raise? Three: How much would be needed to build the original BP dream we all marched for now? Four: If the council came up with a good plot within the town to build a stadium and some other income stream generator's how much cash would be raised from the sale of BP and Failsworth land? and Finally: If a plot was secured via the council what time scale we looking at for the end product sitting proud?

A few things I would be interested in being cleared up now. one: How much is the Failsworth land worth now after this ruling? two: Could housing be built on the Failsworth land (or a sizeable chunk of it) and what amount would that raise? Three: How much would be needed to build the original BP dream we all marched for now? Four: If the council came up with a good plot within the town to build a stadium and some other income stream generator's how much cash would be raised from the sale of BP and Failsworth land? and Finally: If a plot was secured via the council what time scale we looking at for the end product sitting proud?

The idea of doing the housing on the new land to fund BP redevelopment is an interesting one...

The idea of doing the housing on the new land to fund BP redevelopment is an interesting one...

I don't think it is possible though, as if they would have bought the land with the intent of developing houses on it, then I think the land would have been considerably more expensive, hence I think they are limited to developing the land for leisure purposes.

However, I do think the idea of using the failsworth land to develop facilities that could create extra revenue, with the stadium on another site, is definitely one that could be explored further