Huddersfield - Latics Post Match Thread

I didn't notice us mobbing the ref. Maybe I'm biased on that point.

I wish the BBC had put the incident at the end of the first half on the replay. Your defender put two hands on Lee's shoulders and hauled him to the ground.

I couldn't disagree more with the accusation that Lee was cheating; as I said before, all I can assume is that because it happened so often, you guys started to assume that he was diving. Lee is an intelligent player, why would he continue to go to the floor when he's only getting a token decision here and there, if he could stay on his feet?

For the middle of February after a harsh winter, it looked good.

Yes you caused us to resort to hoof-ball? Why do you lot get so offended by this? It's not an accusation that you can't play football, or a criticism of your side. This is why I'm so frustrated on here, every comment made is interpreted as an attack on you.

At BP you took our wingers out of the game; this led to us repeatedly hoofing the ball forwards, which your defence soaked up. Saturday was quite similar, except that we had a bit of luck with the long ball over your full backs head, which should have helped us to get a goal.

Don't think you'll find anyone agreeing with you from HTFC. People are currently debating whether he was the worst ref we've ever come across.

I expect a bit of bias, but this place is ridiculous. As for your assessment of us, it's fair on the basis of the two games we've played against each other, but if we are playing you in May it will be a massive disappointment for us.

It's all very well exchanging the pleasantries and I'll get this out of the way now, good luck for the rest of the season, unless we meet in the ployoffs of course.

Earlier in the season, we ripped your 4-4-2 formation to shreds and you were, shall we say, lucky to escape with just a 1-0 defeat. 4-0 would not have flattered us on the day.

In fairness, your manager has found a system that seems to have suited you since the turn of the year and with a 4-5-1 set up it is more difficult for the opposition to break you down by playing through your midfield. To our credit, we came and employed our usual 4-4-2 system on Saturday and went a little more direct due to your heavily populated midfield. That is why we would argue that it is your style that drew us into more hoofball than we normally play. It certainly isn't what we have been used to seeing this season.

As far as we are concerned, our set up worked better and we had the clearer chances and; 4 attempts on target to your 1 would suggest that to be a correct analysis.

As for the Lee and Taylor bit, I'm sure you've read on this thread that our fans don't condone Taylor's pantomine acting, but he is clearly a marked man in this league as he was again on Saturday. Whilst Evina was getting booked for his challenge, in the same incident, Peltier (I think it was) came right through Taylor after the whistle had gone taking him clean out of the game. I'm sure Clark would have been saying "job done." He got no protection from the ref. That challenge warranted at least a yellow card, but no, not even a talking to from the ref. It's no surprise then that he looks to make the most of it. At the same time, I lost all respect I had for Alan Lee. I've watched him over the years at various clubs and always felt he was the typical English centre forward and when we had one of your guys on here last week claiming that he was going to tear our centre halves a new one I looked at you recent record and thought that we may be in for a difficult afternoon. However, what a soft sod he was on Saturday. Down on the floor quicker than a prostitutes drawers at an orgy. The headband fools no one. Centre halves and forwards clatter each other. It happens every week up and down the country high balls in the air, eyes on the ball, accidents happen! some weeks it's to the opposition on the recieving end, some weeks it's you. Get on with it.

I was quite glad to see Lee go off in the end as I felt he was your only real threat. Pilkington got no change down our left as on loan White was swapped to the left wing to track back and support our full back leaving Morais to work the other flank that wasn't as vulnerable.

PD's tactics this season have been excellent hence why only Brighton have lost less games than us. Our problem has been that we have not turned enough draws into wins, especially from winning positions. Note that since Southampton turned us over we are unbeaten in 7, winning 3 and drawing 4. Besides the game on Staurday, the other 3 games we drew we were winning but failed to to convert to 3 points. If we had, even in a third of those ganmes, we would be right up there challenging Brighton for top spot.

As it is after last season, we are currently more than happy with the progress made under PD to date and will take what ever comes our way at the seasons end. In the meantime don't write us off, and I would suggest, be affraid, be very affraid if you end up playing us in the play offs, because if we make as much progress in the last 17 games as we have in the 1st 29, especially now that Dickov has a settled squad of his own choice after much wheeling and dealing, then we will be a very difficult obstacle to overcome.

See you in May :wink:

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what, as Chairman, Owner, Manager, Players & fans – if I only managed to reach the play-offs; after the inordinate amount of money spent on the playing side; I’d be a little more than ‘disappointed’....but then in my humble opinion, that’s what you should be bracing yourselves for; as I don’t happen to think you are a good side; certainly not one of the top 2 sides in the division.

The fact that you have several players in your ranks who have cost in 1 single transfer more than we have spent on the whole squad for like the last 6 or 7 seasons; and yet you still have only managed to take 1 point from us this season; and that was a fortunate one playing god awful hoof-ball; well – that brings a smile to my little ‘ol face.

I don't think many fans of other clubs are as confident of us not finishing in the top 2. I've got the general impression that people seem to think that Bournemouth will fade away, and two of us, Southampton and Brighton are favourites to get those two places. Of course, they're still up for grabs for about 8 or 9 clubs in the division, so it's just guesswork.

Clubs like Yeovil, Hartlepool, and most recently, Swindon have enjoyed short-term success on a small budget. Splashing the cash doesn't guarantee success, we know that, but we need to compare ourselves to the bulk of clubs that haven't spent much money, rather than the exception that is performing well. You're doing a great job on a small budget at the minute, but there's only you and Bournemouth in the top 6 that I would consider are working on a small budget... the majority of the clubs working with a small budget are lower midtable. Likewise, when you compare us to the bigger budgets of Brighton, Charlton, Southampton, Wednesday, Peterborough (maybe also including the likes of Notts County and Franchise), we're doing alright.

You didn't actually say anything incorrect about our budget, but fans often claim that we've spent a lot more than we have. Compared to you we've spent an astronomical amount, but last season, for example, we're told we had the sixth largest wage budget in the division... yet we were getting told that we'd underachieved by finishing sixth?

It's all very well exchanging the pleasantries and I'll get this out of the way now, good luck for the rest of the season, unless we meet in the ployoffs of course.

Earlier in the season, we ripped your 4-4-2 formation to shreds and you were, shall we say, lucky to escape with just a 1-0 defeat. 4-0 would not have flattered us on the day.

In fairness, your manager has found a system that seems to have suited you since the turn of the year and with a 4-5-1 set up it is more difficult for the opposition to break you down by playing through your midfield. To our credit, we came and employed our usual 4-4-2 system on Saturday and went a little more direct due to your heavily populated midfield. That is why we would argue that it is your style that drew us into more hoofball than we normally play. It certainly isn't what we have been used to seeing this season.

As far as we are concerned, our set up worked better and we had the clearer chances and; 4 attempts on target to your 1 would suggest that to be a correct analysis.

As for the Lee and Taylor bit, I'm sure you've read on this thread that our fans don't condone Taylor's pantomine acting, but he is clearly a marked man in this league as he was again on Saturday. Whilst Evina was getting booked for his challenge, in the same incident, Peltier (I think it was) came right through Taylor after the whistle had gone taking him clean out of the game. I'm sure Clark would have been saying "job done." He got no protection from the ref. That challenge warranted at least a yellow card, but no, not even a talking to from the ref. It's no surprise then that he looks to make the most of it. At the same time, I lost all respect I had for Alan Lee. I've watched him over the years at various clubs and always felt he was the typical English centre forward and when we had one of your guys on here last week claiming that he was going to tear our centre halves a new one I looked at you recent record and thought that we may be in for a difficult afternoon. However, what a soft sod he was on Saturday. Down on the floor quicker than a prostitutes drawers at an orgy. The headband fools no one. Centre halves and forwards clatter each other. It happens every week up and down the country high balls in the air, eyes on the ball, accidents happen! some weeks it's to the opposition on the recieving end, some weeks it's you. Get on with it.

I was quite glad to see Lee go off in the end as I felt he was your only real threat. Pilkington got no change down our left as on loan White was swapped to the left wing to track back and support our full back leaving Morais to work the other flank that wasn't as vulnerable.

PD's tactics this season have been excellent hence why only Brighton have lost less games than us. Our problem has been that we have not turned enough draws into wins, especially from winning positions. Note that since Southampton turned us over we are unbeaten in 7, winning 3 and drawing 4. Besides the game on Staurday, the other 3 games we drew we were winning but failed to to convert to 3 points. If we had, even in a third of those ganmes, we would be right up there challenging Brighton for top spot.

As it is after last season, we are currently more than happy with the progress made under PD to date and will take what ever comes our way at the seasons end. In the meantime don't write us off, and I would suggest, be affraid, be very affraid if you end up playing us in the play offs, because if we make as much progress in the last 17 games as we have in the 1st 29, especially now that Dickov has a settled squad of his own choice after much wheeling and dealing, then we will be a very difficult obstacle to overcome.

See you in May :wink:

I think that's a fair summary. I'd once again, disagree about Lee, but that's been done to death now!

I think you've got a side capable of doing well. The only thing I'd be cautious of as a supporter of you, is that it's your first season challenging... this season I think we've benefitted from last season. We're effectively building on our sixth place finish from last season, and noone seems to have considered the possibility of us finishing outside the Play Off places! Last season there were periods where we seemed to buckle, which may happen to you. Aside from that, I think you'll certainly make the Play Off's convincingly.

If we do meet in the Play Off's it would be a great tie, considering how many ties down South we could both get! Either in the Semi Finals, or at Old Trafford would be a great day.

Good luck for the season.

:lol:

Which Town players were mobbing the ref?

The 'poor Alan Lee' crap, comes from him being fouled more often than not... all I can assume is that because you saw it happening repeatedly and no punishment being issued, you assumed that he was diving.

The playing surface was excellent... it's February and it's entirely playable, we're also one of the few clubs that haven't postponed a home match yet.

You turned us into hoof merchants; you've set your stall out to stop us playing twice. It worked at BP, and with help from the officials, it worked on Saturday.

We were booing the ref at half time as to put a cherry on top of all the ridiculous decisions through the half. He missed Lee being dragged down by your defender whilst Pilkington was taking the ball down the wing and we were two on two. I'm sure in your blinkered view that Lee dived to try and get your player sent off... who would want to score anyway?!

This forum has some good posters on it, but some absolute dross written. Particularly in the other thread about us being better off the field than you, in which there are so many untrue statements about Town.

Set our stall out? So thats why we destroyed you at BP.. You tried to play football and we destroyed you by playing football.. you resorted to hoof and we dealth with that..

Yes. As you had players doubling up on our wingers. Which meant we resorted to hoofing it long, and your defence swallowed up every hoof. When you attacked, you directed it straight down our centre, which was too much for us to handle.

Took it down your centre at BP? Morais was on the right and he ripped your defence to shreds from on the wing

Don't think you'll find anyone agreeing with you from HTFC. People are currently debating whether he was the worst ref we've ever come across.

not that you would have done but that ref was amazing compared to the one we had in our game against rochdale at BP. managed to make both sets of fans sing 'you don't know what you're doing' when a dale player got sent off

not that you would have done but that ref was amazing compared to the one we had in our game against rochdale at BP. managed to make both sets of fans sing 'you don't know what you're doing' when a dale player got sent off

Although it looked a good decision when seen on telly ...

The funniest thing I've read for a long time is, we (Huddersfield) practice cheating (falling over) on the training ground. Now that is the most stupid assertion I have ever ever read. And the most ridiculous thing is, the guy who wrote it probably believes it!:lol:

It is probably true though, your lot spent more time on the floor than actually playing football on saturday.

The funniest thing I've read for a long time is, we (Huddersfield) practice cheating (falling over) on the training ground. Now that is the most stupid assertion I have ever ever read. And the most ridiculous thing is, the guy who wrote it probably believes it!:lol:

it was pretty obvious over both matches

i've never had an opinion one way or another on Huddersfield but I'm now placing you at number 3 in my blinkered list after Man Utd and Leeds.

congratulations