Dickov

Just be interesting to gauge peoples thoughts on this,

we was having a discussion last night at the game asking do you think things would be any better if Dickov had an experieced assistant by his side?

i.e. someone just to have a word and say look Paul this isnt working or Paul I think you should change this player etc,

It came from someone shouting "oh thats responsible of Taggart chinning someone"

Or do people prefer 2 young hungry guys in charge?

This isnt a slate on Taggart as I think theyve both done a fantastic job it was just an interesting topic

we was having a discussion last night at the game asking do you think things would be any better if Dickov had an experieced assistant by his side?

i.e. someone just to have a word and say look Paul this isnt working or Paul I think you should change this player etc,

It came from someone shouting "oh thats responsible of Taggart chinning someone"

This isnt a slate on Taggart as I think theyve both done a fantastic job it was just an interesting topic

We're ok as we are, the 'inexperience' has us one point off the play offs. They'll learn from their mistakes and i'd like to see the players give a bit of input too. They know what's working too. We'll kick on again when Dale is fit BUT he needs to show faith in the other midfielders in the squad that they are valued and will get a chance -otherwise there's no point them being here...

I think it's important that Dickov has an assistant he can work well with, someone he can trust. Both should know the game very well, they might be inexperienced as manager and assistant manager but they've been playing the game for many years and should know what's best.

Football is a simple game, players can be bewildered by too much statistical information - so much it can fog the brain and they can lose they plot.

The best laugh I had was when an England coaches dossier was caught by strong winds while he was stood on the touchline and about a hundred pages blew all

over the pitch. Never have I seen a person so distraught.

There are of course some basics to highlight such as the oppositions main strengths and weaknesses, but these can usually be outlined on one sheet of paper.

I'm of the old school (a dinosaur some would say), build a team of good players who know their job, keep it simple and let the opposition worry about you.

Joe Royle didn't do to bad with a similar philosophy, for example what statistical information could anyone give to Ricky Holden ?..he just got over as many crosses into the penalty area as possible and trusted someone to get on the end of them.

The key is players must know their role and as soon as square pegs are placed in round holes (as last night in midfield) thats when the balance of the team is upset.

My immediate reaction is to think about the best managers we've had in recent memory:

Joe Royle - no previous experience when he took over

Ian Dowie - short spell as a caretaker manager at QPR and then as Latics first team coach prior to appointment as manager

John Sheridan - no previous experience

What they all brought (as with Dickov) is a freshness and enthusiasm which percolates through the team as well as a respect of their achievements as players. As long as that continues, we'll make progress. The only thing the management team has yet to achieve is to get the players to really believe in the 'Can win - will win' philosophy. We're half way there in that the performances this season have shown that we can win but all too often, that extra resilience that comes with the 'will win' bit has been missing and games we should have won have resulted in draws (and some defeats).

Let's not forget that after last season's woeful efforts, virtually everyone associated with the club (owners, players, fans)would have regarded survival as being a major achievement so to question our current position (and our potential to remain a viable promotion contendor) seems a bit harsh.

Whatever the end result for this season, the final analysis has to show it as progress and the main (if not sole) reason has to be the influence of the management team.