Latest council statement

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the cost of maintaining boundary park would cost more than the amount we would pay to another club in rent and the amount we would be likely to lose on the gates, then it makes financial sense to share.

Whilst I think it would most definitely be alot cheaper to rent elsewhere as opposed to maintaining boundary park, however, I think the cost of renting another ground in addition to the revenue we would lose through an inevitable drop in crowds would be greater than the amount needed to maintain boundary park, although I do not say this with any kind of certainty.

If the cost of maintaining boundary park would cost more than the amount we would pay to another club in rent and the amount we would be likely to lose on the gates, then it makes financial sense to share.

Whilst I think it would most definitely be alot cheaper to rent elsewhere as opposed to maintaining boundary park, however, I think the cost of renting another ground in addition to the revenue we would lose through an inevitable drop in crowds would be greater than the amount needed to maintain boundary park, although I do not say this with any kind of certainty.

I would suggest that the gates would fall to 2,000 straight away and would only dwindle further if there was no plan to get back to our own stadium in Oldham.

I would suggest that the gates would fall to 2,000 straight away and would only dwindle further if there was no plan to get back to our own stadium in Oldham.

Using Rotherham as an example, I reckon we'd lose about a thousand of our fans.

23 games at say, £14 average (wild guess) - a loss of approximately £320K. Add onto that, say £250k ground renting and we're up in the £570k region.

Surely we aren't losing that much?

Edited by OldhamSheridan

Isn't that a dangerous game?

Is there any justification for this talk of groundsharing, if the above is true? If there is no plan for a new ground, why would the club leave Boundary Park?

Too many games being played and none of them football.

The problem is, it has become an example of political point scoring for the politicians, more than actually trying to build a stadium. As much as talking with the council is a good thing, what has it actually acheived. Sports Park 2000 was pulled with a change of council, People like Bashforth condemn the councils actions but when it was in there own back yard, they were doing the best they could to pander to the NIMBYS. The Labour stance is as much about getting back into power as it anything to do with us. Dare I say it the only thing that will get real action is that the councilors don't want to be the ones who caused the demise of Oldham Athletic on their own watch.

What amazes me is that all the people and politicians against Failsworth never seemed to once bring up the prospect of new jobs, which would have benefitted the area greatly.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

My God!!!

How the hell have we landed ourselves in this mess. If the club don't talk to the council then we (the fans) might as well start up AFC Oldham Pine Villa Athletic now. I can understand Simon being frustated, we all are, but not being open for discusion is just cutting your nose off to spite your face. This ain't gonna sort it's self out and it looks like half the parties involved don't want it sorted.

I for one am more worried than ever.

My God!!!

How the hell have we landed ourselves in this mess. If the club don't talk to the council then we (the fans) might as well start up AFC Oldham Pine Villa Athletic now. I can understand Simon being frustated, we all are, but not being open for discusion is just cutting your nose off to spite your face. This ain't gonna sort it's self out and it looks like half the parties involved don't want it sorted.

Perhaps playing hardball with the council will get more flexibility, more concessions and more professional preogression of the desired outcome.

Time will tell if it's a stupid or inspired approach.

The council statement says 'informal contact', which includes phone/fax/email/carrier pigeon/smoke signals...

There is a big difference between talks and contact.

To me, the council statement is very positive and their door is clearly open. It is the stance of Corney & co which now worries me.

YEp, and that was my point. Smartz alleged rumout, which looks more like BS now, hinted that a deal had been done. Informal talks would not have resulted in anything that could have been remotely construed they we smatrz did.

I agree, not even entering a dialogue, refusing to attend meetings will not get a ground in the borough.

Sounds like Simon Corney has made up his mind.......

The council statement says 'informal contact', which includes phone/fax/email/carrier pigeon/smoke signals...

There is a big difference between talks and contact.

To me, the council statement is very positive and their door is clearly open. It is the stance of Corney & co which now worries me.

YEp, and that was my point. Smartz alleged rumout, which looks more like BS now, hinted that a deal had been done. Informal talks would not have resulted in anything that could have been remotely construed they we smatrz did.

I agree, not even entering a dialogue, refusing to attend meetings will not get a ground in the borough.

The way I read into it is that they will not enter into a dialogue with the existing administration unless they come to latics and say, here is a site, here is a plan, what do you think? They don't want to meet in order to simply 'talk' and waste more time.

Interesting article on the MEN website - clarifies some things, confuses some! Says Failsworth is dead, for one.

MEN

The MEN says Town hall chiefs... have revealed to M.E.N. Sport there will be no appeal against the Charity Commissions verdict, thus rendering the project dead in the water.

If this is correct, it looks as though the Council has accepted that it would be impossible to meet all the CC's requirements for the land swap.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

My God!!!

If the Club is contemplating taking legal action against the Council to seek damages re the Failsworth debacle, it may have been advised not to discuss it further with the Council.

If the Club is contemplating taking legal action against the Council to seek damages re the Failsworth debacle, it may have been advised not to discuss it further with the Council.

Good point Diego, I never thought of that

The way I read into it is that they will not enter into a dialogue with the existing administration unless they come to latics and say, here is a site, here is a plan, what do you think? They don't want to meet in order to simply 'talk' and waste more time.

The club is indirectly saying we'll use our influence amongst our fan base to oust you in May and speak to the next bunch. See if they want the same fate.

Dear boy,

Deal with the FACTS, where or when did i say a deal had been done?????????

I said we have two sites that the council have offered and that we will be playing at BP until 2014!!

OAFC will work with the council, they have to and have NO OTHER VIABLE OPTIONS!!

I think you need to look beyond what you wanted me to have said and deal with the reality of the facts i have said!!

This only refers to the 'detailed dossier' sent by the Council to the CC, not to an appeal. The media like to sensationalise, and never let the facts get in the way of a good story - 'appeal' sounds more dramatic than 'dossier'!

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

“We’ve had enough. I’ve spoken to other authorities within the OL postcode who would be happy to have us. But I can’t stress enough that I do not want that.

Interesting, although I still think its scare tactics.

Hope that doesn’t include OL13 Bacup and Rossendale or OL14 Todmorden!

Dear boy,

Deal with the FACTS, where or when did i say a deal had been done?????????

I said we have two sites that the council have offered and that we will be playing at BP until 2014!!

OAFC will work with the council, they have to and have NO OTHER VIABLE OPTIONS!!

I think you need to look beyond what you wanted me to have said and deal with the reality of the facts i have said!!

Some evidence exists that contradicts what you and seemingly Simon Corney are saying.

I don't know what you I think I wanted you to say, I just want to know the truth and to see it in writing and talk of an agreement being reached. (I'm not expecting a done deal, that is unrealisitc at this stage.).

Between, you, the council and Simon Corney, someones not telling the truth. My worst fear, obviously, is Simon Corney. He stated he was not talking to the Council yet.

If he's not talking, and everything is informal I fail to see how it can be determined that we will be staying to 2014, site idetified etc.

Of course, I understand negotiation skills and brinmanship, but this seems to go far beyond that.