What screamed out to me on Saturday was a complete absence of any natural leaders on the pitch - heads down, no motivation, nobody pumping the rest of the players up.

Hindsight and all that, but would we have capitulated so badly with Gregan in the side?

I don't understand how a player who won player of the season and was an ever present in 2009/10 could then be released without kicking a single ball in 2010/11. I like PD but he has created a squad bereft of leaders and has shipped off the best one we had.

What screamed out to me on Saturday was a complete absence of any natural leaders on the pitch - heads down, no motivation, nobody pumping the rest of the players up.

Hindsight and all that, but would we have capitulated so badly with Gregan in the side?

I don't understand how a player who won player of the season and was an ever present in 2009/10 could then be released without kicking a single ball in 2010/11. I like PD but he has created a squad bereft of leaders and has shipped off the best one we had.

He's so good, he's playing for Fleetwood. Right...

He was immense last season, it would have been a season too far this season. What's wrong with him finishing on a high?

I have long thought that the so-called, "Stevie G," has so often been the Scousers' best player in a team that doesn't win often enough. Same with Greegs last year I think, he was awesome but we shouldn't have been playing in the only style that still suited him. Not his job, he is a legend for me, but it was time to move on.

I have long thought that the so-called, "Stevie G," has so often been the Scousers' best player in a team that doesn't win often enough. Same with Greegs last year I think, he was awesome but we shouldn't have been playing in the only style that still suited him. Not his job, he is a legend for me, but it was time to move on.

Given how we were going even his biggest fan accepted we were moving on, but Greegs was the best passer of the ball at the club, and probably the most composed player in world football.

Fast tempo and high line or not (and that's not of late - the line becomes high when you're getting the better of the oppostion - it's something to be earned), he deserved a chance to get fit and play. I'd sooner see him finding Morais, Taylor, White etc directly to feet than have Trotters and Rubes blasting it somewhere near Tonk-a-Touch should Stephens or Lee not be available to take it off their toes.

It might not have been better but I can't imagine it would have been worse.

The only reason Greagan moved on was that his appearance fees (if he played) were probably more than we contribute to other clubs for wages for the likes of Trotman and M'Voto.

While I doubt he'd have been an ever present this season, he could certainly still do a job at this level. Don't look at the job he did last season and then try to tell me he's suddenly past it.

Fleetwood Town let in 4 goals by Darlo with Greegs in defence. Need we say more?

Man Utd lost to Wolves with Vidic in defence. Need we say more?

Edited by opinions4u

Penney played a deep defensive line which suited his game whereas Dickov likes to play it further up the pitch where if we had Gregan in there would be much more of a liability against quick strikers, people emphasise too much on attitude being more important than ability and I'm afraid these people are wrong

Given how we were going even his biggest fan accepted we were moving on, but Greegs was the best passer of the ball at the club, and probably the most composed player in world football.

Fast tempo and high line or not (and that's not of late - the line becomes high when you're getting the better of the oppostion - it's something to be earned), he deserved a chance to get fit and play. I'd sooner see him finding Morais, Taylor, White etc directly to feet than have Trotters and Rubes blasting it somewhere near Tonk-a-Touch should Stephens or Lee not be available to take it off their toes.

It might not have been better but I can't imagine it would have been worse.

And we never did get to bukake him at half time :(

The only reason Greagan moved on was that his appearance fees (if he played) were probably more than we contribute to other clubs for wages for the likes of Trotman and M'Voto.

While I doubt he'd have been an ever present this season, he could certainly still do a job at this level. Don't look at the job he did last season and then try to tell me he's suddenly past it.

Man Utd lost to Wolves with Vidic in defence. Need we say more?

I'm, looking at the job he did last year .......... well played last year Greegs.............still looking....................he's now past it !

Let's start this one again....

We've shed 6 against Southampton, lost 10-2 on aggregate to Peterborough, conceded 4 against Hartlepool, 3 against Accrington, capitulated against Exeter (which was admittedly the best 70 minutes I've seen from us in years but we still didn't win), and now 3 more against the most dross Sheffield Wednesday side we're likely to ever see.

This would not have happened if Gregan had been playing. Fact. So maybe he's too slow to be a league 1 central defender now - what was wrong with giving him a holding midfield role instead and make him captain - let's be homest, there are no other natural captains in our squad. He could motivate, he could pass, he could bring a team together.

And one other thing. The crowd used to chant "Gregan, Gregan" because he embodied the spirit that people want to associate with their club, he was a fighter and he got people passionate. Whose name do we chant now? Stephens? Morais? Lee? Arguably our best players but is there one single fan who is motivated to get out of their seat and chant any of their names? No.

We have no leaders on the pitch, nobody to pick the team up by the scruff of the neck when things turn against us, no presence - powder puff.

And people still say Gregan was past it? Where is the proof? How can anyone say that when he didn't even get 5 minutes on the pitch to prove them wrong?

So Gregan's gone and this is all "what if" stuff. But getting rid of your player of the season without giving him a chance the following season?

Anyone remember Neil Redfearn?

FFS.

Rant over.

This would not have happened if Gregan had been playing. Fact. So maybe he's too slow to be a league 1 central defender now - what was wrong with giving him a holding midfield role instead and make him captain.

And people still say Gregan was past it? Where is the proof? How can anyone say that when he didn't even get 5 minutes on the pitch to prove them wrong?

FFS indeed! He plays for FLEETWOOD!! That's how good he is. Argh!

FFS indeed! He plays for FLEETWOOD!! That's how good he is. Argh!

The idea of moving him to midfield is certainly questionable, when he moved away from there because he wasn't fit enough. He extended his career by being an immobile (but excellent in other ways) CB. The question is, would one of those have helped us this season?

So maybe he's too slow to be a league 1 central defender now - what was wrong with giving him a holding midfield role instead and make him captain - let's be homest, there are no other natural captains in our squad.

Ask Leeds fans how well he did as a holding midfielder for them. He didn't have the legs for it when he was 30,i doubt he'd manage it now.

I was as gutted as anyone when he left,and i would have liked to have seen him given more of a chance this season, but i don't know what he was like in training and up until our recent horrible run you couldn't really argue that we'd missed him that much. And yes, after the Peterborough game i did think "no way would that have happened with Gregan in the team". Then Fleetwood got beat 4-0 by Darlington, and i had to concede that maybe Paul Dickov might know better than me.

It's the only fathomable reason for the undeniably shoddy treatment.

I note Greegs is now being wheeled out week in week out as the rich Fleetwood's marquee player. This suggests to me that he's shaken off that achilles and gotten match fit.

He loved it here and would have remained a gargantuan asset, particularly in this young side boasting a host of complimentary attributes.

You don't lose what he has and he never could run anyway - a proper footballer and a dying breed. :imnotworthy:

Edited by Stitch_KTF

It's the only fathomable reason for the undeniably shoddy treatment.

I note Greegs is now being wheeled out week in week out as the rich Fleetwood's marquee player. This suggests to me that he's shaken off that achilles and gotten match fit.

He loved it here and would have remained a gargantuan asset, particularly in this young side boasting a host of complimentary attributes.

You don't lose what he has and he never could run anyway - a proper footballer and a dieing breed. :imnotworthy:

But remember the effort it took us to get our of bed to dig an enormous hole to bury him neck deep week after week. That's the sort of burden that a fan can't sustain when family commitments etc kick in.

But remember the effort it took us to get our of bed to dig an enormous hole to bury him neck deep week after week. That's the sort of burden that a fan can't sustain when family commitments etc kick in.

This would be but a minor commitment to a Diego, and I'm sure the likes of maddog and rosa could have lent a hand.

This would be but a minor commitment to a Diego, and I'm sure the likes of maddog and rosa could have lent a hand.

I would love to reply, but I just can't see how to to without getting myself into a world of trouble one way or another. Rather than beat myself up over it, I am better going and stabbing a cat.