Aye. And John Sheridan, probably our best player since Andy Ritchie, was signed from the very same level. :)

I'd still have him back tomorrow, our centre halves currently are :censored:ing woeful, we don't/can't defend, we can't organise, we never communicate, we never win a defensive header and teams are absolutely taking the piss at set pieces.

People say he is/was gone as a player, but we have signed Andy Todd FFS, now there is someone who is totally gone.

Trotman has been incredibly disappionting since his return and Hazell is absolutely gash, he cost us the second goal the other night just because he allowed the ball to bounce (again) instead of getting his head on it, woeful.

Gone or not if Gregan came back he would be our best centre half in the face of zero competition.

This would not have happened if Gregan had been playing. Fact. So maybe he's too slow to be a league 1 central defender now - what was wrong with giving him a holding midfield role instead and make him captain - let's be homest, there are no other natural captains in our squad. He could motivate, he could pass, he could bring a team together.

Shouting at people and blaming them for your own mistakes and inaquedicies is not motivating. In fact, it is the opposite.

Who was captain as we struggled against relegation?

He had his attributes, and no doubt a key member of the team the scraped to safety, but motivating others was certainly not one of them.

This really is a pointless debate.

Gregan was hardly mentioned in the early part of the season when things were going well and now, when we have a problem, a fair number of people are shouting for his leadership. We, arguably, would not have done as well up to November with Gregan in the team so would we really expect him to sit in the ressies on the off chance that our season collapses? He wanted, and deservedly so, first team football and leaving was the only solution for him. And if Gregan is seen as still good enough for this division, why end up at Fleetwood? Why not another League 1 or League 2 team?

Yes, he deserved the Player of the Season award but he's gone and dragging up his name at every opportunity does not help our cause.

Gregan was hardly mentioned in the early part of the season when things were going well and now, when we have a problem, a fair number of people are shouting for his leadership. We, arguably, would not have done as well up to November with Gregan in the team so would we really expect him to sit in the ressies on the off chance that our season collapses? He wanted, and deservedly so, first team football and leaving was the only solution for him. And if Gregan is seen as still good enough for this division, why end up at Fleetwood? Why not another League 1 or League 2 team?

Yes, he deserved the Player of the Season award but he's gone and dragging up his name at every opportunity does not help our cause.

I agree with the original poster that we have definately missed his leadership and I also think that Todd doesn't come anywhere near to what we had with Gregan. Although I do think that Dickov made the right decision at the time to let him go because he wasn't going to get any quicker. As for him playing for a conference team and not another league 1 or 2 team, I dont think Stockport would be in the position they are in if they had maybe signed him.........IMO!!!

+1

This thread typifies latics fans thinking when things go wrong, always looking to the past, "bring <insert former player or manager> back", "<insert former player or manager> would have done a job"

True. But have having him turn out would.

Does this not come under the banner of "debate". :blink:

Take no notice - Greegs already made these people look stupid once or twice and he would have done so again. They and yet more young buck League 1 strikers... :imnotworthy:

Shouting at people and blaming them for your own mistakes and inaquedicies is not motivating. In fact, it is the opposite.

Who was captain as we struggled against relegation?

He had his attributes, and no doubt a key member of the team the scraped to safety, but motivating others was certainly not one of them.

You can always count on Singe to pop up with that old OWTBism. :lol:

Make many games in those heady days of the Gregan Strut?

You can always count on Singe to pop up with that old OWTBism. :lol:

Make many games in those heady days of the Gregan Strut?

Ah the Gregan strut (or Gregan Shimmy) that is a very different kettle of eggs.

Don't get me wrong, as a player head and shoulders above many around him.

It's as a captain I did not rate him as highly.

Ah the Gregan strut (or Gregan Shimmy) that is a very different kettle of eggs.

Don't get me wrong, as a player head and shoulders above many around him.

It's as a captain I did not rate him as highly.

Fair enough I suppose. <_<

Definitely the Gregan Strut though. It's world reknowned....

A Football League Legend

Gregan

I'll go away for a bit now.... :D

Aye. And John Sheridan, probably our best player since Andy Ritchie, was signed from the very same level. :)

Now, he didnt have the legs when he came to us, but what a footballing brain. He was a Maestro in the middle of the pitch spraying the ball around. Didnt need to run around. He always had plenty of space, because he was one step ahead.